Widening the stock wheels - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Widening the stock wheels in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hi Greg! Met you at the Car show this past Friday night. ' Man, your car is a beast...I walked ...
    wfo
    wfo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tuner car fanatic..there all good!

Re: Widening the stock wheels

Hi Greg! Met you at the Car show this past Friday night. '

Man, your car is a beast...I walked up on your car from the back and you couldn't miss the thick mass of rubber....so nice!!

You've got to show the pics of those rear wheels. Although not lowered like I like for this car and most all cars for that matter....but, in this application, probably not possible with this much footprint in the rear.

Z06 width rear whee/tire combo is an amazing sight on a four door super sedan like the Cadillac V. Nice job.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I dont see this answered anywhere...what size fronts did you go with? It looks awesome, but Id worry about affecting the handling, wouldnt much wider tires in the rear increase understeer?

Ross L is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Awesome!

glgjr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I still have the factory front rims and tires on the car. The rears are factory front rims widen 1 and 7/16 and had the inside of the rim faced down just a bit. The back spacing is 8.4". So far all I have done is to trim the plastic inner wheel liner. I have noticed a slight rub at the very front where I had to trim the plastic but this will be a very easy fix. I did not have any time to work on the car yesterday before I had to leave for the show. The tires are Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 325/30/19. I am sure you can call Eric at Vaughn Machine and the could duplicate the wheels.

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    I dont see this answered anywhere...what size fronts did you go with? It looks awesome, but Id worry about affecting the handling, wouldnt much wider tires in the rear increase understeer?
    I am not sure about the understeer. All I really was looking for is a stock appearing car with better tires for going to the drag strip.

Gene

demorgan59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

I honestly didn't think they would fit! Looks good. So in using the fronts they end up being spaced out farther than the stock rears? Do the wheel lugs fit just like stock? How much did you machine off the back face of the wheel? How much inside clearance do you think you will end up with once you're done trimming?

CadV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2

Talking Re: Widening the stock wheels

Looking good

Greg* is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by demorgan59 View Post
    I honestly didn't think they would fit! Looks good. So in using the fronts they end up being spaced out farther than the stock rears? Do the wheel lugs fit just like stock? How much did you machine off the back face of the wheel? How much inside clearance do you think you will end up with once you're done trimming?

I think I could help with your first two questions. The back-spacing is determined by the customers measurements given to the wheel modifier. The reason Gene (glgjr) chose to purchase the front wheels for this mod is due to them being $100 cheaper per new wheel than the rears. The stock lug nuts & studs are being used.I will have to let Gene answer your last two questions.

demorgan59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

There is a difference in stock back set on the fronts that space them to the outside more. You can see it in the way the lugs sit in their bores front vs. rear.

Quote Originally Posted by demorgan59 View Post
    There is a difference in stock back set on the fronts that space them to the outside more. You can see it in the way the lugs sit in their bores front vs. rear.
    There is not a difference in the backspacing of the front and rear rims. Look at the 1/2" extra aluminum on the back of the mounting surface on the rear rims. The rear rims have 7 1/2" back spacing and the fronts are 7". The 1/2" is because the rears are 9 1/2" compared to the front 9" rim. So the location of the outside of the tire is exactly the same weather you use the front or rear rims. I have measured this several times.

Gene

SSideways is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Gene,

where did u pick up the rims from? what did it cost?

thanks

looking good.

out of curiosity why 325's?

Quote Originally Posted by SSideways View Post
    Gene,

where did u pick up the rims from? what did it cost?

thanks

looking good.

out of curiosity why 325's?
    I bought the rims from member Greg*.

Vaughn machine widened the rims for $300.00 each plus shipping.

I had seen Fastlane use the same tire on their car on the factory 9.5" rims. I figured I would use these until someone will hopefully make a drag radial I can use.

Gene

fastv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Great look! Might be something to look into if I can't find a decent wheel for my V.

surgin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts v

Quote Originally Posted by Low_ET View Post
    Bolt pattern: 5x120 mm
    Offset: 51 mm front and 56 mm rear

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ls-winter.html
    rims look great! is this pattern the same as 5 X 4.75 in english? my math says not exact but will it work?

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Greg*: Any chance you actually saw the wheels after they had been cut apart but before the wider section had been welded in? The reason I ask is I'm wondering how thick the wheel rim itself is. If you were to hazard a guess, what would it be? 1/8-3/16", maybe more?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.