Lowered, black chrome OEM wheels, blacked-out trim - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Lowered, black chrome OEM wheels, blacked-out trim in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Black has and is still my favorite but your setup is a very very very close second. You definitely have ...
    Tasos is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2007 Escalade Ext

Re: Lowered, black chrome OEM wheels, blacked-out trim

Black has and is still my favorite but your setup is a very very very close second. You definitely have great taste and a bad ass car.

platinum1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade

Your car is awesome! When I get mine I want to do the same to the wheels and lower it too. Did you start out with polished or painted wheels? And does it matter?

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Thanks everyone for your very kind comments. This car offers such a great starting point, it's hard to go wrong, whichever way you decide to take it
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum1 View Post
    Your car is awesome! When I get mine I want to do the same to the wheels and lower it too. Did you start out with polished or painted wheels? And does it matter?
    Thanks! I happened to start out with polished wheels--which I normally don't go for, because I thought they went well with the shiny bits and color when I ordered the car. But after I saw and learned what D3 could do with the trim, it changed my whole mindset.

I don't think the finish you start out with matters, because during the process they get stripped down to bare metal. You cold save a few bucks by going with painted if the opportunity presents itself. There is conjecture that the polished wheels might be "hand-picked" for better surface quality, but that is not a fact I have been able to substantiate.

Gotham CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Perfect

Warchild is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cts V

Looks good . Im going to do the same, but instead of blacking out the chrome, I may have all the chrome done in black chrome to match the wheels. Great job.

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by GMX322V S/C View Post
    Wheels black chromed using the Goodrich PermaStar chrome process (thanks James/D3 for the recommendation!).
    Again, the car looks sweet.

I know - stupid question since you've already stated such, but just to confirm that the wheels are black chrome as opposed to smoke chrome. I am considering having this done to my wheels and want to make sure first.

Thanks!

Tony

Tony, I honestly don't know the difference between "black" vs. "smoked" chrome. I can see some people use the terms interchangeably and I would regret steering you wrong. All I can say is the finish is lustrous--it's as if you were looking at something black being reflected off a chrome surface, if that makes sense. It's not a darker, shiny yet "satiny"-like finish. For other examples, if you go to calchrome.com, my wheel finish looks just like everything referred to as "black chrome" there, and not their "Fusion Coating."

I hope this helps. If not, perhaps James at D3 could help you out further.

Tony, I honestly don't know the difference between "black" vs. "smoked" chrome. I can see some people use the terms interchangeably and I would regret steering you wrong. All I can say is the finish is lustrous--it's as if you were looking at something black being reflected off a chrome surface, if that makes sense. It's not a darker, shiny yet "satiny"-like finish. For other examples, if you go to calchrome.com, my wheel finish looks just like everything referred to as "black chrome" there, and not their "Fusion Coating."

I hope this helps. If not, perhaps James at D3 could help you out further.
    The black chrome on Calchrome is definitely what I want, although I would like to go with Permastar because of their environmentally friendly application process. The price in identical. Permastar has two finishes: black chrome and smoked chrome. I really can't find any pictures on their site that specifically sets the two apart, although I assume both companies probably use "black" to mean the same thing. Maybe. LOL Would James happen to know which finish you used?

Tony

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Hey GMX why didnt you also paint the front lip and fog surrounds while you were at it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
    The black chrome on Calchrome is definitely what I want, although I would like to go with Permastar because of their environmentally friendly application process. The price in identical. Permastar has two finishes: black chrome and smoked chrome. I really can't find any pictures on their site that specifically sets the two apart, although I assume both companies probably use "black" to mean the same thing. Maybe. LOL Would James happen to know which finish you used?

Tony
    Hmm...for the life of me, I cannot find any references to black or smoked chrome on their site--plenty of pictures though. I'm talking about goodrichtechnology.com (permastar.com points to the same place). The process certainly is greener, but the main draw for me was the OEM-quality durability.

Here's a reference to "smoked" chrome, but from the discussions and pictures, it could be the same PermaStar process: http://www.3si.org/forum/f145/new-sm...3/#post5260451 --the underlying finish of the pipe in that thread is nowhere near the quality of our wheels, so it doesn't appear as lustrous. They talk about it being a powdercoat process that is "almost" chrome. The PermaStar process does start off like a powdercoat process, but the vapor deposition process makes it quite shiny--just like chrome--not kind of, but just like any other black chrome finish I've ever seen.

James never mentioned any other finish to me. In fact, all I ever specified to him was I wanted "black chrome" and he told me about the Goodrich folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    Hey GMX why didnt you also paint the front lip and fog surrounds while you were at it ?
    Hmm...I guess I really don't have a problem with how they go with the Thunder Gray and the rest of the theme I came up with. I did have the fog lamp rings painted semi-gloss black, so leaving the surrounds as they were provides a little contrast. If I did paint the surrounds, I'd also feel compelled to paint the splitter as you mentioned, but to carry the theme through, I'd also want to paint the rear lower valence insert, but because I had already decided to paint the mesh back there flat black to match the front grilles, they really would have disappeared...and so on...

Hmm...for the life of me, I cannot find any references to black or smoked chrome on their site--plenty of pictures though. I'm talking about goodrichtechnology.com (permastar.com points to the same place). The process certainly is greener, but the main draw for me was the OEM-quality durability.

Here's a reference to "smoked" chrome, but from the discussions and pictures, it could be the same PermaStar process: http://www.3si.org/forum/f145/new-sm...3/#post5260451 --the underlying finish of the pipe in that thread is nowhere near the quality of our wheels, so it doesn't appear as lustrous. They talk about it being a powdercoat process that is "almost" chrome. The PermaStar process does start off like a powdercoat process, but the vapor deposition process makes it quite shiny--just like chrome--not kind of, but just like any other black chrome finish I've ever seen.

James never mentioned any other finish to me. In fact, all I ever specified to him was I wanted "black chrome" and he told me about the Goodrich folks.
    The Goodrich site directed me to another company, Pacific Rims for consumers that want their items chromed. Both companies are on the same street in Pittsburg, CA. I called Pacific Rims and spoke to Dereck there who told me about the two finishes. It's no biggie really. I'm sure I can get it straightened out between James and Dereck so I can get the right finish.

Tony

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Hmm...I guess I really don't have a problem with how they go with the Thunder Gray and the rest of the theme I came up with. I did have the fog lamp rings painted semi-gloss black, so leaving the surrounds as they were provides a little contrast. If I did paint the surrounds, I'd also feel compelled to paint the splitter as you mentioned, but to carry the theme through, I'd also want to paint the rear lower valence insert, but because I had already decided to paint the mesh back there flat black to match the front grilles, they really would have disappeared...and so on...
    I can see that happening. I just had mine painted but it works alot differently on a black V than i would imagine on other colors

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.