Anyone try LEDs for Front Turn Signals and DRLs? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Anyone try LEDs for Front Turn Signals and DRLs? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Modern cars (and motorcycles) do not use an old-style temperature operated turn signal controller that relied on the amount of ...
    tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Anyone try LEDs for Front Turn Signals and DRLs?

Modern cars (and motorcycles) do not use an old-style temperature operated turn signal controller that relied on the amount of current drawn by the number of turn signals being operated (every car with a different number of turn signal lamps required a different turn signal controller). Today the turn signals are operated by a solid state controller or sometimes just the computer itself to flash the turn signals. The number of lamps and the amount of current drawn is usually not important. In this situation, substitution of low current LEDs for high current incandescent lamps might not cause a problem with the flash rate. In some cases, however, the contoller or computer might interpret the reduced current as a lamp failure and take appropriate action. This action can be a warning message or no flash at all or both.

Krug Ford is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

thats good to know.

Thanks for the input

Cub Cadet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6spd MANUAL

There are DRL killers out there which are easily wired in place to kill the lights. I have this on my Trailblazer and it works great until you have a dreary day, go under a freeway, or through a shadow... the night sensor is way too sensitive and kicks the headlights on unless I have the headlight knob switched over. ON the Trailblazer, the DRL is the low beam. Is the CTS-V DRL its own separate light... kinda like the GM pickups have been for the last few years? If so, you could cut power to that bulb, or just go through the effort of removing it completely. I hate DRL's and night sensitivity that GM has. This is one feature that I love about Ford products... they leave that stuff in complete control of the driver. I would never use DRL's and I would love to be able to turn the lights on when I want to turn them on.
    Same with rainsense wipers.... I hate them too and could never have them on a vehicle. Heck, all of my vehicles have the windshield wipers/arms removed anyway and I drive year round in Ohio weather like that. Rain X is awesome stuff and only need to apply maybe once a month.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The DRLs on the 2004-2007 CTS-Vs (and I think the regular CTSs) were the bright filaments of the turn signals. Whenever the turn signal was active, the bright filament on the non-signal side was turned off so that only the turn was indicated. On the 2009 CTS-V (and probably the 2010 CTS-V also), the DRLs are separate white lamps. If the turn signal is active (a yellow lamp separate from the DRL white lamp) the DRL on the turn side is turned off.

Cub Cadet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6spd MANUAL

Ah ha! So I can just remove the bulbs and no more DRL's.... NICE!!!!!

4gear70 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (MG9)

I really don't mind the lighting on the front of the CTS-V. And I certainly don't mind the DRL's either. In Canada, DRL was mandatory for all vehicles imported after January 1, 1990 anyway. In fact, I've always liked the auto lighting switch the GM vehicles have...it's nice to not have to worry about turning the light switch when I get in and out of the car. Every time I drive my wife's '07 Mustang GT, I always forget the lights on when getting out and hearing the annoying alarm buzzer.

Now, if the yellowish color of the lights is an issue for you, then you would really hate the original T3 headlights that people pay top dollar for that I have on my Olds. lol

GM-4-LIFE is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

I don't mind the look of the DRLs. In fact, I like them. I would just like to have that Audi white LED strip that gives the front end that really nice distinct look.

Just wish GM would have went with LED front turn signals and DRLs. GM was the pioneer in DRL technology back in the early 1990s.

Shawn

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

DRLs are a stupid technology...

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

I would consider a little caution when thinking about bypassing the DRLs. State laws requires that "installed" equipment remain operable.
    I first used LED bulb replacements on my 1987 Jeep Wrangler. Very little was known about the circuit loading affecting turn-signal operation. The cycle rate went to about 50 times per second = no blinking! I installed in-line resistors to restore the turn-signal to normal cycling.
    Current LED manufactures integrate a loading resistor type design to ensure normal turn-signal function. I just switched out the tail lights on my 07 Vette to all LED. The best reason for LEDs is the nearly instantaneous-on when the brakes are applied. Good protection from those Nascar wanna-be's riding your rear by giving a fraction of a second quicker notice that you are slowing down.
    The LED Tail light/back-up light design on my present Jeep provides a much brighter light when in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen P. View Post
    I would consider a little caution when thinking about bypassing the DRLs. State laws requires that "installed" equipment remain operable.
    However, every V has the ability to turn them off, just like headlights, at the turn of a stalk. And since there is no federal mandate to use DRLs in the US, cops will never pull you over for not having them on.

So whether it's turning the stalk to off or pulling a couple fuses, I doubt anyone will ever have an issue...

thatcoder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

here here jimbo..

not you, breaking the law, what if? the driver in front of you didn't see you coming with the DRL's off? perhaps a law suit can be in order to get you to pay for the damage caused by them switching lanes.

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

During the day I turn the stalk from auto to off - only the light pipes turn on (which and I think looks cool). One thing I did notice is that my light pipes are different colors... The left one has a bluish tint and the right one has a purple tint (when looking at the car).

wfo
    wfo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tuner car fanatic..there all good!

I just installed LED's (LEDlight.com) for the fogs and got to say... I love them. The amount of light emminating is amazing over OEM.

mpouls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 V 11.99@118mph, '11 Tahoe LTZ, '03 Silverado, '00 Jetta

^^^pic's please

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoder View Post
    here here jimbo..

not you, breaking the law, what if? the driver in front of you didn't see you coming with the DRL's off? perhaps a law suit can be in order to get you to pay for the damage caused by them switching lanes.
    You're lack of understanding of simple physics baffles me. I pray that people like you somehow, someway, stumble on an ounce of common sense...
    dtharpe and dtharpe like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.