Getting FREE polished wheels courtesy of GM due to wheel clicking issue...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Getting FREE polished wheels courtesy of GM due to wheel clicking issue... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; GM is ordering me a brand new set of polished wheels due to the fact that they can't fix the ...
    GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

Getting FREE polished wheels courtesy of GM due to wheel clicking issue...

GM is ordering me a brand new set of polished wheels due to the fact that they can't fix the clicking issue I continue to have when I turn the front wheels.

The CTS-V head engineer apparently thinks that it is my painted wheels that are the cause, but I am not going to complain since they just ordered me a full set of polished wheels. If I wanted to purchase the wheels, they would cost me at least $2K plus labor to install them.

They wanted to replace both front rotors and the wheel bearings, but they changed their mind and wanted to try the new wheels first and then go from there.

If they mount the polished wheels and I still continue to have the issue, I will still proceed with the case that I have with Cadillac's Customer Assistance Center.

Just wanted to give you guys an update as to what is going on with this stupid clicking issue.

SG

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Re: Getting FREE polished wheels courtesy of GM due to wheel clicking issue...

Sorry to tell you this, but I have the polished wheels and have the clicking. I don't think that will solve anything and the engineers are still unsure of what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by anonfrank View Post
    Sorry to tell you this, but I have the polished wheels and have the clicking. I don't think that will solve anything and the engineers are still unsure of what the problem is.
    I know. I guess I am happy that I get a free set of polished wheels.

When the problem returns, I will take it back in again and then follow up with Cadillac's Customer Assistance Center until they figure out what the problem is.

Sooner or later, they will figure it out and in the end, I get to keep the polished wheels.

SG

62Jeff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I didn't think anyone could get polished wheels from GM right now? Isn't that why so many of us are hunting e-bay to find a set?

jwa999 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S

Quote Originally Posted by 62Jeff View Post
    I didn't think anyone could get polished wheels from GM right now? Isn't that why so many of us are hunting e-bay to find a set?
    Well, they're *on order*, he doesn't have them yet

62Jeff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jwa999 View Post
    Well, they're *on order*, he doesn't have them yet
    Oh I don't doubt they are on order, and I'm happy to hear things are looking up for the original poster.

I'm just hoping things shake loose so we can really get wheels in our hands through our dealers, so I can erase the damage from a curb interlude

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by AERO1 View Post
    I know. I guess I am happy that I get a free set of polished wheels.
    Too true! They are worth their weight in gold given that they are scarce. I'm lucky to have scored a set myself recently from a member here.

I am just wondering how difficult it is for the GM engineers to figure out what's happening. I mean, hello, videos with slo-mo action? If I could attach video cameras at every possible angle on the front suspension (and had time--my profession is rather busy), I would just figure it out myself. This would catch whatever suspension element is causing the problem. I simply don't buy that it's the wheel. It has to be something clicking against the wheel only when it's in a full-lock turn.

chopmeat is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I wash my car every 2 to 3 days and am a real anal nutcase with the wheels.
    I never had the clicking.
    Do you think it's all brake dust?

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Quote Originally Posted by chopmeat View Post
    I wash my car every 2 to 3 days and am a real anal nutcase with the wheels.
    I never had the clicking.
    Do you think it's all brake dust?
    Don't think so - I mentioned in an earlier thread about this, that since some v2's have this problem, and others do not, (like mine and yours Chopmeat), I suspect it could be caused by defects of some kind in the wheel/hub mating surfaces. New wheels may fix it, or maybe re-machining the mating surfaces would do the trick as well. It might be less expensive to have the mating surfaces re-done than to replace the wheels ... ?

Rob

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Well SG, I must say that you were right. Initially my clicking was at very slow speeds and only when turning the wheel sharply left or right, plus the noise was very muted. 1000 miles later the clicking has gotten much, much louder and even happens on tighter turns and has gotten ever so annoying. Now it can be heard in the cabin with the windows up.

I originally posted it didn't bother me, but now that the noise has gotten louder and more frequent, it is annoying as hell. So my car goes in on Friday for the TSB, we'll see what happens.

For you, I'm glad they are doing something about it. We STILL have not gotten an answer on someone with aftermarket wheels that had the click before they swapped to see if perhaps it is the wheel design.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

I would have told the dealer to try "chroming" your oem wheels. I have black chrome on mine and never heard a peep come out of them and i'm at 6k miles already....lol, i'm glad i got a spare set to black chrome - i kept my originals because if anything should happen to one of my wheels i'd be FAWKED

Kadonny,

Most on this board are lucky as they either haven't had this annoying issue or the TSB actually fixes the problem. Most are getting it at the 5K-6K mile mark if the problem ever surfaces. I got it at around 1,500 miles or so if I remember correctly and the problem kept coming back after a couple hundred miles or so.

Razorecko,

Did your car ever have this issue? It may be that your wheels weren't plagued with this issue at all whether they were painted or polished to begin with. If they chromed my stock wheels, that would mean that my car would be on a lift for at least a week and I would be without the car altogether. If they chromed my stock wheels, the problem would still probably return as I would still have the same set of wheels. If they replace the wheels with a new set of polished wheels, there is a chance that the problem won't return. If the problem does return with a new set of polished wheels, I will keep taking it back until either GM comes up with a fix or they take the car back.

SG

Another update:

Just spoke to the service advisor at my dealer and he said the rear wheels will be in next week, but the front wheels are on national backorder status. They issued a SPAC case with my VIN #, but who knows how long it will take before I get the polished wheels. I think the minimum wait time would be at least 2 weeks and could be as much as a month or more.

SG

Cub Cadet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6spd MANUAL

Have you guys ever looked at the lower control arm to see if it moves under load... which would be at full left or full right. Early on, the SVT Lightning had issues with a clunk when at full left or full right. This was due to slotted mounting holes in the lower control arms and the round bolt not being tight enough. The fix was a couple different things... you could weld them in position, increase the torque on the bolt, add a star washer and torque down, or get a washer kit that has a male end that is oval (to fit in the slot) and has a hole in the middle. The last item was the ultimate fix. The CTS-V may have the same issue.

caddiedrummer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

As others have said if based on my car (with polished) at 10k miles polished wheels ain't gonna fix it and I cannot believe they said that was a fix--really stupid. There must be a fix--seems simple . Maybe pads but going from painted to polished is moronic.(except you will get nicer wheels)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.