White Diamond paint splotchy
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, White Diamond paint splotchy in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Does anybody's white diamond paint look splotchy? Or is this typical of white diamond paint?...
    Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

White Diamond paint splotchy

Does anybody's white diamond paint look splotchy? Or is this typical of white diamond paint?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: White Diamond paint splotchy

I am hoping that nobody took this as a slur against their own personal CTS-V or their choice of color for their car. I am asking because I am looking at a '09 CTS-V in Diamond White, and the side of the car that the sun shines on looks normal but the shade side of the car looks somewhat splotchy, and I am wondering if it is me, or this its typical of Diamond white when not in the sun? I am definitely not slamming anybody's choice of color of their car, nor their ride.

commander112 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan White/Recaro/Manual/Polished

I have noticed this effect on other cars as well. I don't think it is a big deal rather an issue with that type of paint.

DTS Diamond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac DTS Lux III 07, DHS 04, Allante 93 06 XLR Platinum

Diamond white looks different in that it varies with light exposure. One side in the shade will look altogether different in the sun. Diamond white looks the best in full bright sun. I have had 5 Diamond whie cars and none match each other, some variance in model years. Very hard to match in collision repair.Doug-J

Krug Ford is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

It hall depends on the quality of the job..

qictrk is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I have noticed some areas are lighter than others, depending on how the light hits it. I think they didn't cover some areas as well as others. The paint looks to thin at times. This is probably a common problem on all the white cars. It takes several coats of White Pearl to cover and with all the cut backs, well.........you know. Cecil..........

vmaniac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Mine is definately splotchy -- was just talking to my son about it. Pictures won't do it justice but it is noticible in person. I'll be checking with my service manager in a week or two. Before my '04 Black Raven V1 I had a white diamond Aurora and did not have this problem. Hopefully others will weigh in. Thanks for bringing this up.

I really feel bad about bringing this up, as nobody likes to have their car choices criticized, but it was bothering me. One of the local dealers has a white diamond, maybe grey with titanium inserts interior, auto, beautiful car but when looking at it the other day the passenger side was in the shade and not lit up by the sun, and I thought that I noticed somewhat splotchy paint in the area of the front door. Was definitely a turn-off for me. Broke my heart, as if I have to order one, it was going to be white. Now, no. Probably moving to the thunder grey camp. This definitely looked like it was thin in some areas.

jskv12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1971 Eldorado Conv., 2009 CTS V

I have a black 09 V and the paint work shows a tremendous amount of orange peel. I noticed it at the dealership but I examined several Cadillacs and the issue appears to be model wide and all colors. I think it reflects mass production painting. It is disappointing especially when I compare it to several of the other black cars I own some of which were painted at the factory but with more hands on work. I suspect too that this reflects part of the price of the car. It is certainly a bargain IMHO.

Jeff

chopmeat is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Is this a paint effect that is on the pearl paint??
    Is it supposed to be like that?
    Stillborn likes this.

I am going to post up something that I really don't want to. I went to the dealer today after work to verify that I was not seeing things the other day.
    I looked closely at the passenger side of the diamond white CTS-V, and it does look like the paint is very thin on the passenger front door, a little thin on the passenger side rear door, and then returning to normal thickness towards the rear quarter panel. I went and looked at a diamond white Escalade sitting directly outside in front of the showroom, but outdoors. It showed the same thing, passenger front door very thin, gets better at the rear door, and then returns to normal towards the rear of the car. Not much orange peel on any of the diamond white vehicles, but heavy orange peel on the black CTS-V that they had. I am not very happy with my findings, but I did confirm my suspicions. Not very happy with the results. Are these vehicles painted after assembly by robot? Or are these painted as separate parts by robot & then assembled. I am going back tomorrow and hope that the thunder grey solid roof is still there.

CADYSHAK is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

What exactly is "orange peel" on a paint job ?
    CADYSHAK

jwall09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by commander112 View Post
    I have noticed this effect on other cars as well. I don't think it is a big deal rather an issue with that type of paint.
    I have a silver STS-V and its the same except the side in the sun looks more splotchy. I think its the paint and how it is applied. A few more coats would fix it im sure.

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Quote Originally Posted by CADYSHAK View Post
    CADYSHAK
    It has little bumps all over it, similar to the surface of an orange.

BTW - I just went out and took a close look at my black Raven copy, and I don't see the orange peel effect at all. And no thin spots either. Anyone else .. ?

Rob

commander112 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan White/Recaro/Manual/Polished

Quote Originally Posted by CADYSHAK View Post
    CADYSHAK

Orange peel is the rough paint surface that really looks like orange peel. It is best seen with light hitting it. Most cars have some of it and it really is indicative of how much time is spent rubbing out the finish. Problem is if the finish is thin then rubbing out will rub through the finish.

Edit Rob beat me to it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.