Pain to clean these wheels!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Pain to clean these wheels!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; In my opinion, the difficulty of cleaning open wheels goes in order of chrome (easiest), polished, and then painted (hardest). ...
    tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Pain to clean these wheels!!

In my opinion, the difficulty of cleaning open wheels goes in order of chrome (easiest), polished, and then painted (hardest). I have had all three types on CTS-Vs. The presence of brake dust obviously is more of a problem with the open style wheel that is employed on many of today's more expensive performance cars. I use the same wash that I use on the car and a brush to clean the wheels, but I can't do it in five minutes. It is more like five minutes per wheel.

ericpd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V Black Raven M6-speed

I'm kinda used to it, all the way down to having a job specific stool for the occasion. What's really painful is when the calipers get in the way. I use a small diameter nylon brush I picked up at Home Depot that I believe was designed to clean inside of pipes or something. Not the hard brush designed to get rid of metal burs after cutting,... that would do serious harm to our wheels, but it looks just like it only armed with nylon instead of steel brissles. I've seen the power ball in action but haven't been convinced enough to buy one. I might reconsider!

jwa999 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S

I'm very impressed with the "Eagle One Keep Clean Wheel" brake dust repellent. After reading about it on an earlier thread, i decided last week to give it a try.
    I thoroughly cleaned my polished wheels and applied it. I made the mistake of putting a a little too much and since it was getting dark, i couldn't quite see, so it left some white lines. A couple of days I applied it to the porsche wheels (their coated, but also get dirty quickly).

Well, my polished wheels on the V still look like I washed them yesterday from a distance. Some dirt still collected in the angled areas, but the wheels overall still shine. Same with the porsche. There, I put it on very lightly, so a missed a few spots. After driving it for 15 miles I could already see a big difference between the treated and untreaded areas. After driving 200 miles they are still mostly clean. I don't yet know how it holds up in the rain, but sofar, my wheels are going to be a cinch to clean now. I saw it both at Autozone and O'Reilly for $6.99

Hans.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)

I use Griot's Garage products; all are good and safe. Use their wheel cleaner and plastic handled brushes to clean the inside of the wheel. There's no way around it; you have to get your hands dirty and spend a few minutes, but if you apply the wheel cleaner, let it sit for a few minutes, spray quickly with a hose to get mild suds, and use a sponge to clean every crevice, they will look fantastic. I wash my car once a week by hand; car washes will damage your wheels and scratch your paint.

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Quote Originally Posted by jwa999 View Post
    I'm very impressed with the "Eagle One Keep Clean Wheel" brake dust repellent. Hans.
    X1 - This product works! But I also found that spraying the material on, tends to lay it on a little too heavy. A better method seems to be to spray the material on a micro-fiber towel and wipe it on the accessible areas of the wheel. Then spray the areas that are inaccessible lightly. There are hardly any visible hazy areas visible, where the material was applied too heavily by just spraying it on.

Rob

wiz1der is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI FE2 Perf Package

If any of you V guys get too fed up with cleaning these and go for aftermarket rims, I'd be glad to buy the stock v's from you for my cts DI!

PM me.....

2K9 CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I have tried several cleaners and have finally settled on Mother's FX. It is a little tough to find, but it is the closest thing to a true spray-on / spray-off product I have used. A good soaking with the FX and a solid stream spray just leaves me with a quick wipe down with a microfiber towel to buff them to a shine. It also does a great job getting the entire surface area of the wheel all the way back to the inside of the rim. Give it a shot. BTW - I have painted wheels.

chopmeat is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I'm a maniac and wash my car often.
    That's the only way I keep my cars and their wheels looking brand new!
    I just came home at 8 pm and washed it!
    My neighbors already know I'm crazy!
    Lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.