Keeping Polished wheels clean?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Keeping Polished wheels clean? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I didn't find a thread on this already so decided to pose the question... any thoughts on how to keep ...
    Vlakaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSv & 2006 STSv + 1991 SHO

Keeping Polished wheels clean?

I didn't find a thread on this already so decided to pose the question...

any thoughts on how to keep the polished wheels clean? The brakes give up a ton of brake dust, I'm at about 500 miles on the car and I clean the rims and exhaust everytime I get home.

Some friends are suggesting wax the rims, even basic turtle wax they say would work. Your thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

NeedCTS-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V Clack 6psd (manual), Recaro, Loaded...

Re: Keeping Polished wheels clean?

There is another thread on this but people recommended an Eagle 1 product (and a few other similar products) that is designed to keep break dust off. I picked some up and it works as designed.

This being said, I also picked up some wheel polish and did my wheels this past weekend. Then I applied the Eagle 1 stuff after polishing and noticed a whitish haze on the wheels. The E1 instructions tell you to let the stuff sit on the wheels and not to whipe it off (let it dry for 15 minutes, etc.). I did and didn't like the way that it looked so I wiped it off.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

I suggest black chrome....Looks badass when clean or dirty

Tuan_CTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

My buddy used this on his bike!

http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html

He said he applied some of this on his bike, and when he went to wash it the next time around all he used was windex and it wipped off easily.
    I don't know how well it would work on chrome, but I know the chain lubricants that comes off the chain of a bike onto to the wheels are a pain to clean. I'm going to try and used this on my wheels. I'll let you know how it works out.

Good luck though.

How about brake dust on wheels?
    RejeX won't keep brake dust from accumulating over time, but it does make wheels much easier to clean. Usually a good high pressure spray of water is sufficient to knock off brake dust. Plus RejeX leaves a wicked shine on both chrome and alloy wheels.

Thx for the opinons guys.

I actually heard sunlight or some kitchen dish/galss soap is good to clean polished rims since they clean spot free and are somewhat of a degreaser. Of course you will not and should not use that soap on the paint or any other part of the car

I will read up on the products you guys mentioned and see what else the local store has. Of course you can't avoid the dust/dirt but as long as there is a way to clean it of easily thats all I ask. I'd hate to have the brake dust "bake" on if not cleaned properly.

Goodtimes.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Your CTS-Vs polished wheels are clearcoated, just like your paint. Don't use metal polishes or wheel polishes on them (even the ones that say "Designed for polished aluminum"), as those are made for uncoated, polished mag wheels.

Best thing to do is put a coat of wax on them every few months, and wash them with regular car soap and water when you clean the car. Don't use any abrasive wheel brushes, or you'll have tons of swirl marks in the finish just like you would if you rubbed your hood with the brush.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

On my old jeep with the same kind of wheels i used a teflon based spray wax. It would take off the dirt easily and at the same time wax em' up

cmicasa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I bough this stuff at the suggestion of the other Thread on the subject.. and it Works. I used it on my Painted CTS-V Wheels, Chrome Vette Wheels, Painted G6 wheels, 9-3's Alloy Wheels, and Tahoe's Polished wheels.. ALL look great after a 3-4days of driving.

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

^^^ I not sure how you applied the E1, but I sprayed it on just like the instructions said, and it left a whiteish haze on my polished wheels after it dried. I don't care for that at all .. But - that said, it does seem to keep the dust from collecting as much as it did before applying E1, so I guess their claim is true to a certain extent. I'll be shopping around for something that doesn't leave the haze on the wheels.

Rob

this is the stuff...meguir's teflon spray

cmicasa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRob View Post
    ^^^ I not sure how you applied the E1, but I sprayed it on just like the instructions said, and it left a whiteish haze on my polished wheels after it dried. I don't care for that at all .. But - that said, it does seem to keep the dust from collecting as much as it did before applying E1, so I guess their claim is true to a certain extent. I'll be shopping around for something that doesn't leave the haze on the wheels.

Rob
    Yeah.. same here. I thought U were supposed to wipe the Haze off with a dry towel. I did.. and it works like a charm

[QUOTE=Cadillac Tony;1868933]Your CTS-Vs polished wheels are clearcoated, just like your paint.QUOTE]

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info! I will stick to using car soap and I might give some wax a try and see if that helps. I was just worried that the heat coming off the brakes might bake the wax onto the wheels and ruin them.

chopmeat is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I agree with Tony!
    I wash the car and wheels often with car soap only.
    I would NOT use ANY nonsense on them I don't care what these companies claim.
    Every product I used in the past that was supposedly "SAFE" for wheels always ended up damaging them.

Quote Originally Posted by cmicasa View Post
    Yeah.. same here. I thought U were supposed to wipe the Haze off with a dry towel. I did.. and it works like a charm
    Good to know! I'll see if I can find that product and give it a shot.

chris1268 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRob View Post

Rob
    It does leave a whitish haze but do one front tire and not the other and then compare after 1 day of driving and the white haze actually looks much much better than the other rim. I agree though not as good on day 1 but the rest of the week they still look clean not to mention it helps ensure no baking on the rim.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.