09 cts-v wheels & tires
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, 09 cts-v wheels & tires in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I just took delivery today on a new red V. I know, I wanted a coupe, but since they keep ...
  1. #1
    noelvm's Avatar
    noelvm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    41

    09 cts-v wheels & tires

    I just took delivery today on a new red V. I know, I wanted a coupe, but since they keep pushing the coupe back and since it has that stupid bar right behind the door, it's not a coupe anyway as far as I'm concerned, so.......
    I bought a red one today.

    My salesman says in an off hand manner the car has run flat tires. Well, this didn't mean anything to me since, I always change tire brands once the oem tires die which is usually not very long.

    Now I'm told by a friend that run flat tire rims are different from regular rims and won't accept regular tires, that there are very few places that have the machine that can change run flat tires so if you're on a trip and have a flat you're probably screwed because there won't be any tires or any place to change them and they cost a fortune and don't last long.

    If this is true and there is not an alternate set of rims that takes regular tires that can be put on this car they are going to get it back Monday because I am not buying into a system that uses rediculosly expensive tires that don't last long and nobody can change.

    Surely Cadillac has another rim that will clear the calipers and fit this car.

    Hey Joe, say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

    noelvm

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    darjae is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Crystal Red
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Age
    44
    Posts
    197

    Re: 09 cts-v wheels & tires

    The 09 V does not have Run Flat tires. This has been covered ad naseum on this forum. I don't have links to the individual threads, but it should be easy to find.

  4. #3
    OldRoadDawg's Avatar
    OldRoadDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: 09 cts-v wheels & tires


  5. #4
    darjae is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Crystal Red
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Age
    44
    Posts
    197

    Re: 09 cts-v wheels & tires

    Quote Originally Posted by OldRoadDawg View Post
    Smart A$$ let's try this one: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...lat-tires.html

  6. #5
    caddiedrummer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    315

    Re: 09 cts-v wheels & tires

    Quote Originally Posted by noelvm View Post
    I just took delivery today on a new red V. I know, I wanted a coupe, but since they keep pushing the coupe back and since it has that stupid bar right behind the door, it's not a coupe anyway as far as I'm concerned, so.......
    I bought a red one today.

    My salesman says in an off hand manner the car has run flat tires. Well, this didn't mean anything to me since, I always change tire brands once the oem tires die which is usually not very long.

    Now I'm told by a friend that run flat tire rims are different from regular rims and won't accept regular tires, that there are very few places that have the machine that can change run flat tires so if you're on a trip and have a flat you're probably screwed because there won't be any tires or any place to change them and they cost a fortune and don't last long.

    If this is true and there is not an alternate set of rims that takes regular tires that can be put on this car they are going to get it back Monday because I am not buying into a system that uses rediculosly expensive tires that don't last long and nobody can change.

    Surely Cadillac has another rim that will clear the calipers and fit this car.

    Hey Joe, say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

    noelvm
    No offense but I am not sure what is worse--a Caddy dealer saying the V has run flats or the owner not taking 5 seconds to look at the tire and tell they ain't run flats. You should be the proud owner of Michelin PS2s. Which is good news unless where you currently reside is less than 38 degrees.

  7. #6
    noelvm's Avatar
    noelvm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    41

    Re: 09 cts-v wheels & tires

    Well, I never pay much attention to the tires on new cars because my experience is that they have always been provided by the low bidder. A check shows them to be 19" which is an option. I will go in Monday and have a discussion about changing them back the standard 18" wheels and tires that are standard on the V.

    There are certainly far more tire options available for 18" wheels than there are for 19" wheels. This is the same problem that existed whent the Lightning came out with 18" wheels and there was nothing available except the Goodyear Eagles, a crummy tire, that doesn't last very long and cost way more than others now available in 18".

    noelvm

    Thanks for the link to the old thread.

  8. #7
    darjae is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Crystal Red
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Age
    44
    Posts
    197

    Re: 09 cts-v wheels & tires

    Quote Originally Posted by noelvm View Post
    Well, I never pay much attention to the tires on new cars because my experience is that they have always been provided by the low bidder. A check shows them to be 19" which is an option. I will go in Monday and have a discussion about changing them back the standard 18" wheels and tires that are standard on the V.

    There are certainly far more tire options available for 18" wheels than there are for 19" wheels. This is the same problem that existed whent the Lightning came out with 18" wheels and there was nothing available except the Goodyear Eagles, a crummy tire, that doesn't last very long and cost way more than others now available in 18".

    noelvm


    The stock wheel size for the V2 is 19". There is no dealer option for 18" wheels. The only options are 19" polished or painted.

    In this case, with the V2, you are wrong about the tires being provided by the lowest bidder. Everything on this car was engineered for performance. The Michelin PS2s have an impeccable resume. They are expensive and won't last as long as some other tires, but you won't find a better performing tire at the same price point or cheaper.

    Do you have PS2s on your car? Are you suggesting that you don't have the standard wheels/tires on your V? Did you research the V2 before you bought it? Your statements confuse me.

  9. #8
    caddiedrummer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    315

    Re: 09 cts-v wheels & tires

    Quote Originally Posted by noelvm View Post
    Well, I never pay much attention to the tires on new cars because my experience is that they have always been provided by the low bidder. A check shows them to be 19" which is an option. I will go in Monday and have a discussion about changing them back the standard 18" wheels and tires that are standard on the V.

    There are certainly far more tire options available for 18" wheels than there are for 19" wheels. This is the same problem that existed whent the Lightning came out with 18" wheels and there was nothing available except the Goodyear Eagles, a crummy tire, that doesn't last very long and cost way more than others now available in 18".

    noelvm

    Thanks for the link to the old thread.
    Are you sure you bought an 09 CTS-V? I can't wait till you get to the hard stuff.

  10. #9
    noelvm's Avatar
    noelvm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    41

    Re: 09 cts-v wheels & tires

    Well, lets see here. My window sticker says 19" polished aluminum wheels $800.00 (REPLACES STD/OPT WHEELS) I was assuming the standard wheels were 18" because I went to the Cadillac online reference guide and it shows

    http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...1&divisionID=5

    17", 18" and 19" wheels and I assumed that the 18" wheels were standard.

    There may be two possible reasons for the 19" wheels on the V. One they were necessary to clear the rotors. Two they provided better performance.

    If the 18" wheels will fit I might opt for a set however the big question is whether the current setup has run flat tires and if so, according to a friend in business, they have a special rim and maybe hub that will only accept the run flat wheels. The run flat wheels can only be changed on a special tire maching which is a city as big as Houston Texas only has two places that can change the tire, and last buy not least even if there are other 19" tires available they will not mount on a run flat rim. If this is true I am not interested in being locked into that kind of an arrangement.

    Since it is highly unlikely I will have my V transported to Europe to run the Nuenburg ring lateral stibility doesn't really mean much to me. 0-120 in a straight line or 70-130 in a straight line are what interest me.

    A quick check of the tires shows them to be Pilot PS2s so I am assuming they are whatever they are. I will go to tire rack and look them up.

    noelvm

  11. #10
    caddiedrummer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    315

    Re: 09 cts-v wheels & tires

    OK, assuming this is not a hoax let's take it real slow. That same sticker you have in your hand--go to the left side and see the words "Performance Tires" (not run flat, no PZ etc) Then after that it says "Tire Sealant & Inflater Kit in Place of Spare tire"--yet another hint you may not have run flats.

    If that isn't enough go out in the driveway and check the sidewalls--another give away. Finally if still unconvinced take a bag of nails spread them in the road and puncture your new PS2s and try to drive 50 miles on them.

  12. #11
    CadV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    TX
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,076

    Re: 09 cts-v wheels & tires

    Anything below 19" would be on the regular CTS.

    V2 does not have run flats.

  13. #12
    CadV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    TX
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,076

    Re: 09 cts-v wheels & tires

    Quote Originally Posted by caddiedrummer View Post
    OK, assuming this is not a hoax let's take it real slow. That same sticker you have in your hand--go to the left side and see the words "Performance Tires" (not run flat, no PZ etc) Then after that it says "Tire Sealant & Inflater Kit in Place of Spare tire"--yet another hint you may not have run flats.

    If that isn't enough go out in the driveway and check the sidewalls--another give away. Finally if still unconvinced take a bag of nails spread them in the road and puncture your new PS2s and try to drive 50 miles on them.
    This is a strange thread for sure. I have never seen someone want to go down in rim size.

  14. #13
    noelvm's Avatar
    noelvm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    41

    Re: 09 cts-v wheels & tires

    Well there seems to be quite a selection of 19" tires available in the front size, I didn't check the rears yet, and they have a varity of UTQG ratings from 140 to 500 and they are all ZR rated. Our PS2 tires have a treadwear rating stamped on them of 220 which I assume is the UTQG rating which means to me they are good for 15K maybe. A tire with a 500 UTQG will probably go 40-50K but have less lateral stick because it is harder. Most of the roads in Texas are straight.

    So if I want to I can buy a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 255/40ZR19 with a UTQG rating of 500 AA A instead of the tires that came on the car for about the same price ($310) and get much greater longevity than the PS2 with the 220 UTQG and just stay off the Nurinburg Ring.

    noelvm

  15. #14
    jvp's Avatar
    jvp
    jvp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    451

    Re: 09 cts-v wheels & tires

    Quote Originally Posted by noelvm View Post
    Well, lets see here. My window sticker says 19" polished aluminum wheels $800.00 (REPLACES STD/OPT WHEELS) I was assuming the standard wheels were 18"
    Assumption #1: False. The standard wheels are 19" painted (not polished). Your car has the optional polished wheels. They're identical, otherwise.

    17", 18" and 19" wheels and I assumed that the 18" wheels were standard.
    Assumption #2: False. See above. 19s are standard on the V.

    Stop ASS-U-ming so much...

    There may be two possible reasons for the 19" wheels on the V. One they were necessary to clear the rotors. Two they provided better performance.
    Taller wheels will give any vehicle longer legs when it comes to top speed. But, that's not the reason GM put 19s on the car. 18s won't fit around the front calipers.

    according to a friend in business, they have a special rim and maybe hub that will only accept the run flat wheels.
    Your friend in the business is mistaken. Run-Flat tires of today will work on any rim, and any rim will work with any run-flat tire. But the V doesn't have them.

    The run flat wheels can only be changed on a special tire maching which is a city as big as Houston Texas only has two places that can change the tire
    I'll bet a paycheck that Houston has more than 2 places that can handle run-flat tires. Most tire shops today are equipped with a Hunter, or some other tire machine that can easily handle the RFTs.

    and last buy not least even if there are other 19" tires available they will not mount on a run flat rim. If this is true I am not interested in being locked into that kind of an arrangement.
    Again, your source of information is wrong, plain and simple. If he's in "the business" then he'd be a good guy to avoid talking to when it's time to buy new tires.

    Since it is highly unlikely I will have my V transported to Europe to run the Nuenburg ring lateral stibility doesn't really mean much to me. 0-120 in a straight line or 70-130 in a straight line are what interest me.
    What? You're not going to take it to a road course and wring it out the way it was supposed to be? Please do us a favor: sell the V right now and go buy a Mustang.

    jas

  16. #15
    noelvm's Avatar
    noelvm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    41

    Re: 09 cts-v wheels & tires

    Well this has all be very informative. Thanks for the information. You drive yours the way you want to and I'll drive mine the way I want to.

    Actually I tried to by a Mustang GT500 about 18 months ago. They wanted $20 over window sticker for it. I laughed and told them I would buy a CTSV and bring it to their Dealership and spin the tires across their front parking area and laugh as I drive out. I need to do that Monday.

    noelvm

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting