2009-2013 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, How do you remove the steering wheel? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2013; Hi guys,
I have the optional $300 suede feel steering wheel and decided to go back to the original smooth ...
I have the optional $300 suede feel steering wheel and decided to go back to the original smooth leather wheel instead. I liked the optional suede-micro fiber type feel but prefer the smooth leather. I am looking for instructions for removal of the steering wheel and hope the air bag does not go off in the process. if it's not that hard, then I will try to find a good leather wheel to replace it.
Service manual diagrams would be helpful. Thanks for looking.
Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
First, disconnect the neg battery cable so the airbag doesn't fire. Your other option is to pull the airbag fuses.
The service manual is sparse without helpful pics.
It then says to remove the airbag. There is a hole on either side of the steering wheel. Turn the wheel so one is 'up' and use a blunt tool to press in on the spring release. Repeat for the other hole. Then pull the airbag away. The wheel comes off with removing a single bolt in the center. When replacing it's torqued to 22 ft lbs. the manual just says 'disconnect wiring harnesses and transfer parts as needed' for the rest of the swap.
I had to do this recently when I went from leather to suede.
I took apart the thing 3 times due to various things needed. I could guide you from memory pretty easily.
1. disconnect neg. terminal (I didn't wait but if you are the careful type, you should disconnect both terminals)
2. use a punch to push into the holes on either side of the airbag, then pull out carefully
3. this next part got me until i re-read someone's instructions. pull away from the airbag the two clips (they don't fully come out) with a flathead. then you can pull off the pink and white plugs
4. now get a torx equipped ratchet and take off the main bolt in the middle
5. once that is done just pull straight off
6. go back in that order
Of note there was loctite on the bolt, I used some when I put it back in. Have any questions just post here.