Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Trifecta W38 Error

3K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  tinman 
#1 ·
Anyone get a W38 error with Trifecta and able to recover? Please share your remedy. My CTS is immobile right now...

:-(

#5 ·
Neither. I was just turning on the ghost cam option since I got my new exhaust, got the error. Can't even go back to stock.

One thing I do not like is that I cannot open the log files to view them myself. I'm pretty savvy, even if it's something simple, I'm not able to tell.

#9 ·
Oh, so wait....

You had successfully tuned prior, and then went back in to flag the ghost cam, and retune.....and blamo?!

I had forgotten you were previously tuned.

Yeah something went boom during the flash with the ghost cam. I am thinking it is something to do with his car being a 2008 and the ghost cam option being designed for 2010-2011 3.6DI cars. It's the same engine and same ECM so I thought it would work just fine. I've emailed Vince about this but he is supposed to be flying home today and will be back in the office tomorrow for sure. I'm hoping he'll get back to us tonight still.

#11 ·
Yeah we are going to try everything to fix it. Unfortunately this is always a possibility. It only happens to maybe 1% of customers, but it does happen. It's really hard to brick these ECMs, it's only happened to 3 out of over 600 of my customers in the years that I've been selling Trifecta tunes, so I don't think it's bricked. If it is, it can still be salvaged by sending it in to Vince and he can unlock it at his shop. The crappy part is I think Michael is staying at a hotel, who knows how far away from home. So it's definitely on my priority list to get him sorted out.

On a side note- for some odd reason this is always how it happens- someone is far from home and flashing/tinkering with the software when they manage to find a "bug" and the vehicle is disabled. I don't know why, but that's almost always the case. No one's ever stranded at home.

#13 ·
I've got Vince talking to me right now, Michael, are you around? My phone is all screwed up and I'm restoring it. If you don't post here, I'll be texting you in about 8 mins

----------

Looks like the TCM flash failed, not the ECM. Not related at all to selecting ghost cam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.