Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cadillac CTS 2011 Nav Disc

51K views 164 replies 46 participants last post by  Tbbt 
#1 ·
I noticed that GM has listed the 2011 Nav Disc for the CTS. Has any one received it? Is there anything new to report or just another map update?

#5 ·
So far - all map updates(2) to the 2008 NAV have included software updates and fixes for the map, nav, and audio applications. The maps are usually far from current but since the original 08 map and nav application, there have been substantial enhancements that have greatly improved the NAV functions and capabilities. Numerous fixes have also been provided. Install generally requires around 2 1/2 to 3 hours but can be checkpointed and restarted numerous times rather than sitting in your running car for 3 hours.

#7 ·
Will post the info when I get the latest map just posted for 2008-2011 CTS - part # 22790324 on navdisc.com web site. Mine is on its way and should arrive by Monday. With your 2011 you hopefully have a map date later than May 2009 which came out earlier this year(spring) with the 2010 update. Check CONFIG for your map date.

#8 ·
Got the disc today but no AUTH code supplied with the invoice doc. Called NAVDISC and waiting for the 1 GM rep who apparently can get/generate the auth code. Uses your VIN to create auth code. I suspect tomorrow will be a frustrating one getting this code.
Software is V3.14 and map is dated 5/10/2010.

#13 ·
Got my disc today and yup, no code. I thought it was a bit strange that I didn't have to put in the VIN when I ordered. Called them at 6:30 tonight and they said I need to talk to Chuck or Richard who had both left for the day. Will try first thing in the AM and update everyone from there.

P.S. it now looks like the website is requiring a VIN for ordering so those that are ordering from now on I would think would not have this problem...

#14 ·
Got my call from Chuck - software fix was made so they can now generate auth codes from your VIN. Got my auth code today after verifying my VIN with them. Running update now. Went right to MAP update. Apparently no software on this disc - curious since the version went to V3.14. Perhaps the software will get updated after the map is done but normally the map is the last piece installed.

G
#16 ·
Can anyone say whether the price ($200 as far as I can tell) has historically ever been discounted? I'm guessing no, since there only seems like one source, but if there is traditionally a sale or something, I can hold off.

Thanks!

#18 ·
they really get you on the shipping too...$15+ for USPS which I believe was my cheapest option.

On another note I was able to obtain an auth. code today just by calling navdisc center so I was able to get the update done. As jg said, it goes straight to map update. It does also update the software to the newest 3.14 version as well however. I'm not sure when it does it or if it even tells you it's doing it as I did not sit in the car while the update was running.

#21 · (Edited)
Update completed properly - this time it did all the NAV and AUDIO updates after the MAP update, as well as a couple of BOOT files and CONFIG file. Software updates take about 10 minutes or so.

And dont forget to check CONFIG settings as these will change, i.e. sound settings for each source to CENTERPOINT, etc.

#22 ·
UPDATE: So I have found an undesirable side effect of the new software update for those of us without the backup camera (anyone with a 2010 or older I believe). Every time you put the car in reverse, the screen pops up and goes blank. Then, when you put it in drive after being in reverse, it takes about 10-15 seconds for the screen display to come back (and lower if you originally had it lowered). I do believe this behavior is designed for models with the backup camera, because nothing else about it makes sense. When the screen is in "reverse mode", you can't operate any controls whatsoever.

I called the navdisc people and they were of course useless in figuring out if there was a way to change it so it doesn't do this (they were trying to tell me I put the update disc in the wrong slot when I updated; the car only has 1 slot which they figured out after I told them that and they put me on hold for 10 minutes to verify it :mad2:). I've gone through the config menus and can't find anything about it. Of course there was also no literature included with the disc. If anyone else encounters this and finds a solution, please let me know. It's pretty lame when the screen goes up and goes totally blank...

#28 · (Edited)
UPDATE: So I have found an undesirable side effect of the new software update for those of us without the backup camera (anyone with a 2010 or older I believe). Every time you put the car in reverse, the screen pops up and goes blank. Then, when you put it in drive after being in reverse, it takes about 10-15 seconds for the screen display to come back (and lower if you originally had it lowered). I do believe this behavior is designed for models with the backup camera, because nothing else about it makes sense. When the screen is in "reverse mode", you can't operate any controls whatsoever.
tonyfort, that's a very unfortunate side effect.
If GMNavDisc doesn't fix this issue I would not be inclined to buy the 2011 Nav update disc.

Edit: There is a work-around for the issue though (info in my next post below).

#23 ·
Yup - with radio off screen comes up in reverse and is blank until taking car out of park. I have an 08 w/o the rear park assist/Lux Lvl II option. I'll have to see how annoying it is in real driving when you pause the radio when parking and then get back in and back up or when driving on a route, etc.

#24 ·
Oh man.. the rising of the screen being blank would annoy me to death. I have the backup camera, but I hope you guys figure it out.. any other updates regarding audio? How do the maps look? Any graphics changes? I'd love for GM To release an audio update so the ipod line in is just as high as if you were listening to the CD. Its input is lower.

#29 ·
It's a ridiculus side effect. I'm now wondering if there is already wiring provisions for the backup camera in the car and if I could just add the camera to the back and actually have it now that the software obviously behaves like it's there. I might look inside the trunk liner sometime to examine this possibility.

#30 · (Edited)
tonyfort and jghiller, FYI...
If the rising of a blank screen (and all that goes along with it) during parking manoeuvres, etc. becomes a total pain, and you want to have your Nav Radio system operate as before, there's a way to load previous version (2010) application software to your system to eliminate the problem. By doing that you'd end up keeping/utilizing the latest 2011 Map database you've paid for, however the Nav Radio system would operate with 2010 (non-backup camera) version application software.
Let me know if that's something you want to go with (i.e. send me a PM).
The other alternative of course is to wait for a fix from GM Nav Disc - if/when that comes along.

#35 · (Edited)
It's EXTREMELY doubtful the necessary wiring would already be there on your 2008 CTS.

I've come forward with a method to address your problem - which is safe and easy and has been carried out several times by me and a few others. (You're welcome by the way!). Kind of hoped you would have at least acknowledged my post. Oh well.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.