Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2012-2015 CTS 3.6 tune support now available from Diablosport!

9K views 43 replies 15 participants last post by  Long 
#1 ·
We're thrilled to announce the release of tuning support for the 3.6 powered 2012-2015 CTS models on our inTune and Trinity tuners.

Gains of 12 rwhp/15 ft-lbs can be seen when used with 93 octane fuel, in addition to improved throttle response, better shifting and improved overall performance.

Tunes for 91 and 93 octane are provided as well as a firm or hard shift option for the TCM.

You can adjust idle speed, shift points, rev/speed limits, WOT spark and fueling, and much more beyond the provided tunes if you desire.

Let me know if you have any questions!

(I've seen a bunch of 08-11 guys asking, and we're planning to look at them next ;))

Thanks

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
DiabloMike said:
What didn't work exactly? If its a calibration we haven't seen yet it will let you read it out to send it to us, we update these applications weekly to add anything new we got from the field. Thanks
I did send the file into Mike M. And it was a transmission issue. However even with the download he provided me it still did not recognize the TCM.
Awaiting new downloads.

Unknown TCM

#19 ·
Do our cars run better on higher octane fuel? I have heard differing opinions and just not sure. been running 87 Octane so far.

#20 ·
I felt a serious difference at 93 octane, but I usually run it at 91. The LY7 manual says use 89 for more performance & towing, but that's a dead giveaway that the ECU can compensate for more octane. I know the LLT sees more power on good fuel, yours should be even better as it's a Delphi ECU which is more advanced than the Bosch.

#21 ·
I've not read where any higher octane fuel has yielded more performance in the Gen 2 CTS unless someone is running a specific tune that can take advantage of it...good luck with your choice...

Bill

#22 ·
I'll have to disagree with that Silversport. In the manual for our cars, it clearly states that the LY7 can take advantage of the higher octane here:

If your vehicle has the 3.6L V6 engine (VIN Code 7), use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 87 or higher. For best performance or trailer towing, you could choose to use middle grade 89 octane unleaded gasoline. If the octane rating is less than 87, you might notice an audible knocking noise when you drive, commonly referred to as spark knock.
If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible.

Someone from moderncamaro.com posted the actual low & high octane tables for the LFX here:

Green Text Line Font Screenshot

Green Text Line Font Screenshot

And a post from Tracy Lewis confirming this is reality. Tracy (RX catch cans) knows quite a bit about the LLT & LFX.

The LFX is 11.5:1, and as he has shown, log any LLT or LFX and you see timing pulled when running 87. Less power and worse MPG. The price of 93 does is not made up all the time in increased MPG, but it it is not wasted $.

#24 ·
I'll have to disagree with that Silversport. In the manual for our cars, it clearly states that the LY7 can take advantage of the higher octane here:

If your vehicle has the 3.6L V6 engine (VIN Code 7), use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 87 or higher. For best performance or trailer towing, you could choose to use middle grade 89 octane unleaded gasoline. If the octane rating is less than 87, you might notice an audible knocking noise when you drive, commonly referred to as spark knock.
If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible.

Someone from moderncamaro.com posted the actual low & high octane tables for the LFX here:

View attachment 537710
View attachment 537712

And a post from Tracy Lewis confirming this is reality. Tracy (RX catch cans) knows quite a bit about the LLT & LFX.

The LFX is 11.5:1, and as he has shown, log any LLT or LFX and you see timing pulled when running 87. Less power and worse MPG. The price of 93 does is not made up all the time in increased MPG, but it it is not wasted $.
interesting...I have been unable to find anything in my owner's manual (2014 Sportwagon) to show that running anything but 87 is advantageous...the LY7 is the older engine, right???as for your source, I have noticed many times that his information did not apply to the generation or the cars we have in this part of the forum...although the Camaro may use the same engine as some here, I wonder if the programming is the same...

when I had the first gen SRX I was told by your source as well as others that running Premium unleaded (93 is what I used) should yield positive results...I read it here and on the Malibu Forum (for Gen7 cars running the 3.6) but that was not the case and I didn't feel it performed as well...

Good luck with your choice,

Bill

#23 ·
So I will put some Midgrade (89) in my car next and see how well it runs. Hoping this LFX has less Oil usage than my LY7 did.

#25 ·
The LY7 was used in the Gen I CTS and also Gen II in MY '08-'09 ( non DI 3.6).

I also checked my OM last night (2010 DI 3.6 LLT) and only found verbage on 87 octane. There was nothing to support using higher grade fuel for better performance or when towing.

Reactions: silversport
#26 ·
The 2013 owners manual has nothing regarding the use of fuel with higher octane aside from the blurb highlighted. It's basically saying minimum 87 octane, but does not state an advantage over 87. And V's and Coupes should not be trailering, period.

Recommended Fuel
If the vehicle has a V6 engine, use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 87 or higher.
If the octane rating is less than 87, an audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock, might be heard when driving.
If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline rated at
87 octane or higher, the engine needs service.

Trailer Towing (CTS-V and Coupe)
The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
Only the LY7 (which I have and ran until 2009) mentions anything in the manual about running 89 octane for better performance. The LLT and LFX do not say anything in the manual about using more octane, but the timing tables say otherwise.

I'm more than curious now, so it looks like I need to speak with a few other reputable tuners. This is definitely a heated debate that's been going on for some time, I did see an interesting post from from Camaro6.com where a gentleman had wrote:

1) It was proven on the LLT/LFX that the computer detected less knock and pulled less timing on 93 compared to 87 (could have been 91...not really sure any more)
2) A tuner showed us that the LLT/LLT have multiple tables of timing based on the octane level detected.
3) A dyno run showed only a very minor (negligible) gain on 93 versus 87, but the pulls were consistently smoother.
So take that as you will. 93 is not going to wildly change the power on the V6....but if you are someone that wants what I'd consider the happiest running engine, I feel it is the way to go.

I believe he meant LLT/LFX in his 2nd point though.

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
Only the LY7 (which I have and ran until 2009) mentions anything in the manual about running 89 octane for better performance. The LLT and LFX do not say anything in the manual about using more octane, but the timing tables say otherwise.

I'm more than curious now, so it looks like I need to speak with a few other reputable tuners. This is definitely a heated debate that's been going on for some time, I did see an interesting post from from Camaro6.com where a gentleman had wrote:

1) It was proven on the LLT/LFX that the computer detected less knock and pulled less timing on 93 compared to 87 (could have been 91...not really sure any more)
2) A tuner showed us that the LLT/LLT have multiple tables of timing based on the octane level detected.
3) A dyno run showed only a very minor (negligible) gain on 93 versus 87, but the pulls were consistently smoother.
So take that as you will. 93 is not going to wildly change the power on the V6....but if you are someone that wants what I'd consider the happiest running engine, I feel it is the way to go.

I believe he meant LLT/LFX in his 2nd point though.
so basically the timing is adjusted slightly because of less knock -- which is expected since that is the only benefit of higher octane gas -- but not enough to amount to any measurable gains? sounds about right.

So I will put some Midgrade (89) in my car next and see how well it runs. Hoping this LFX has less Oil usage than my LY7 did.
Rodney - how does the wagon feel compared to your sedan? Does it feel sluggish?

#29 ·
just remember that there is a program and our vehicle don't necessarily run the same program as say a Camaro despite having the same engine...the Camaro and the CTS may have different tunes programmed into them is my point...also, if you buy an aftermarket tune or get your tune this could change as the new tune could contain something to get you better performance in every meaning of that word...

I still have not seen any data to show that the CTS gains anything by going to a higher octane fuel...wish it were true...

Bill

#30 ·
I filled my tank with some 89 octane gas from a different station than the one I had been. The car is running much smoother and is certainly running better.

When comparing Sedan and Wagon...

Sedan LY7 AWD, Wagon LFX AWD. I didn't compare ratios but I seem to be getting about 24 mpg with the wagon and was getting 22mpg with the sedan. So far... Might go down with more in town driving.
The Sedan I believe was 3600 LBS and the Wagon 4300 lbs. About 700 Lbs different but I have about 50hp more in the Wagon. In short the wagon does appear to have noticeably more power than my Sedan had.

Both seemed to wait 2-3 seconds before launching... I would probably do a tune on this wagon when I get the chance. Also considering a SC but too much money for me to spend right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.