Battery Question: OEM Vs Optima or XS Dry Cells
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Battery Question: OEM Vs Optima or XS Dry Cells in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hey all have an interesting question.. Maybe some of you have dealt with this or Cust Svc can chime in.. ...
    jamiejam1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS COUPE Performance W/Navi

Battery Question: OEM Vs Optima or XS Dry Cells

Hey all have an interesting question.. Maybe some of you have dealt with this or Cust Svc can chime in..

My CTS is new 2014 (Perf Coupe) In the near future, I am planning to make some minor changes to the audio system to accentuate or Beef up the Bose 10 Sp System..

My question is, being that the car is under full warranty, Will it have any effect on the warranty if I were to change out the OEM battery to something like an Optima Dry Cell ( Yellow or Red Top)?
    Im asking only cause I would think they are all relative but I don't want to assume. BMW is known to be pretty anal about any changes, and since Im new to the Cadi' Its better to be safe than Sorry....

( Delco, Optima, Honda, Die-Hard's) and 90% of all of the OEM & Aftermarket batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls anyhow...

Thoughts? Opinions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

aaron4235 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: Battery Question: OEM Vs Optima or XS Dry Cells

Well that shouldnt really be an issue. It only voids the warranty if what you do causes it to break. If you put new speakers in and your tranny goes they cant say anything. If you put a huge turbo in and blow up the engine then thats on you.

----------

Also the stock speakers are great. No reason to swap them out. If you wanna make them louder put in a better amp. Battery would be fine. No reason to put in a new one unless youre trying to save weight

is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD

I added the following and wanted to beef up the battery, but after the install I checked the voltage on the DIC and it's always 12v or higher so my installer said I didn't needed to upgrade the battery. Even the headlights doesn't flicker at all.

American Bass 4480.1D amp (2200 RMS @ 1 Ohm)
    Pair of AB XR10D4 subwoofers wired parallel @ 1ohm
    0/1 gauge cables

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

See if TBBT pipes up. He is pretty good when it comes to battery info.

Well, Im sponsored by Optima.... thats why I ask... as for the speakers The car is being set up as a show car with a competition grade Sound Q audio system, sponsored by NAV/TV Hybrid Audio, Metra Electronics and JL Audio... The factory audio will remain from head deck, till the amp, then after that the plan is all high end...

Shovelheadmike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe AWD 3.6
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiejam1
    Well, Im sponsored by Optima.... thats why I ask... as for the speakers The car is being set up as a show car with a competition grade Sound Q audio system, sponsored by NAV/TV Hybrid Audio, Metra Electronics and JL Audio... The factory audio will remain from head deck, till the amp, then after that the plan is all high end...
    I'm interested in the specifics of the audio upgrades. In my opinion, this is the area that needs the most improvement on my 2011 Coupe. "No highs, no lows, must be Bose... ". Way too much center channel, terrible mid and sub base. Understand I'm stuck with the factory head, but after that I'm going to rip it all out. Will have at least 600-1200 watts. Expecting to need a high output alternator and Optima battery or two. I think my 4-Wheeler has a bigger battery than the CTS. Don't get me wrong. Love the 3.6 CTS coupe, just terribly disappointed in the audio. How could they get that so wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Shovelheadmike View Post
    I'm interested in the specifics of the audio upgrades. In my opinion, this is the area that needs the most improvement on my 2011 Coupe. "No highs, no lows, must be Bose... ". Way too much center channel, terrible mid and sub base. Understand I'm stuck with the factory head, but after that I'm going to rip it all out. Will have at least 600-1200 watts. Expecting to need a high output alternator and Optima battery or two. I think my 4-Wheeler has a bigger battery than the CTS. Don't get me wrong. Love the 3.6 CTS coupe, just terribly disappointed in the audio. How could they get that so wrong?
    well first off with a 600-1200 Watt Upgrade you do not need to swap alternators that is ordinarily a 60/70 amp draw at full max volume IMHO new Alt. would be Way overkill!!….

Im well on my way into the construction part of the build.. ( 288 sq ft of sound damping and running 9 confuter speaker lead to each side of the front..

You are aware that a proper system is "centered" but nevertheless, you can control how much center you are using in the Config and sound screen…
    If you Have UNAV, You will not be able to remove anything at all.. The Bose amp which is rather chunky, is on the passenger rear trunk side. The Amp controls volume, Navi, on star, chimes, bluetooth, turn signal sounds, balance/ fader, and just about everything else. The only thing you can do is add a DSP ( Bit One, MS8, Rockford 360, Mosconi) after the Amp and Summ the signals for each of the separates( Midbass/ tweets) If you have UAV nab, you also know that the 10 speaker Bose System played DVD's, XM, CD's and DVD Audio in DTS and Dolby 5.1. By bypassing the amp you also lose all of those features as well.. Do Not underestimate the Delco Bose System. Its actually very good compared to others but it lacks equalization ability, I just want More power better tonality, linearity, stage and image… As far as better, go with the optima, and for a higher output alternator Theres nothinhing Better than " Ohio Generator" Call Tom He can get you very well hooked up..

FYI because our battery is in the back and Alt in the front, to eliminate aany possible Engine Noise or Ground loop, You should put a 1 farad Cap by the alternator under the hood connected directly to the alternator and chassis grounded!

As a reference, I am going with:
    Metra TSpec V12 Wiring

Audison BitOne DSP
    6 hertz amps,

Hybrid Audio Legatia Speakers:
    L3v2's Midrange and L1v2's Tweets in the Dash
    L6v2 in the doors and rear side panels
    L3v2's in the rear deck
    2 Hybrid Clarus 12's firing in through the back seat

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by jamiejam1 View Post

FYI because our battery is in the back and Alt in the front, to eliminate aany possible Engine Noise or Ground loop, You should put a 1 farad Cap by the alternator under the hood connected directly to the alternator and chassis grounded!
    ... or take a little time to map the ground paths and find a clean ground point for each piece of equipment. That's my preference, never failed me in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by HurstGN View Post
    ... or take a little time to map the ground paths and find a clean ground point for each piece of equipment. That's my preference, never failed me in the past.
    Its not a matter of the Ground Path, apparently its a matter of the alternator sending the voltage over a longer distance to the battery. I spoke with several techs not only at cadillac but at several audio manufacturers and they all said the same thing.. the same applies for the rear battery mounted Camaro... Its I guess Something of a known issue. Either way with adding a Cap up front, and having a dual terminal yellow top, you can make a single ground via Bus Bar or distro- block straight to the battery and it takes out ALL of the guess work! Why add more work ?

CadaMike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS, 2010 CTS AWD DI

Here is a setup for you. With an XS Power D3400 in my 2010 CTS AWD 3.6, I am powering a Soundqubed/Audioque 2200D at half ohm running it to an HDC4. This amp puts out over 2000 watts clamped RMS. Power is fine, just depends on how long I run it for. Full volume for more than 15 minutes will drop the battery pretty low. Plus with GM's battery management, the car never seems to be at 14.4 except at start-up. I'm not sure how that works. Here's a video for proof. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-4elEpknss

Back to the point, an aftermarket battery can't void anything. Replace the stock battery if you were worried when taking it in. Just try not to modify the connecting wires.

brohd11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS AWD

how would a cap reduce engine noise? Usually capacitive reactance is used to offset the inductive reactance in a circuit. Yes the alternator is inductive but not enough to need any capacitance. Unless you have a bank of super caps and are making a crazy SPL system I don't see a point in putting a 1 farad cap in your engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by brohd11 View Post
    how would a cap reduce engine noise? Usually capacitive reactance is used to offset the inductive reactance in a circuit. Yes the alternator is inductive but not enough to need any capacitance. Unless you have a bank of super caps and are making a crazy SPL system I don't see a point in putting a 1 farad cap in your engine bay.
    I would have said and thought the same.But I was informed by some of the top audio(12 V) engineers, that for some reason because of the Power lead being a 4 Ga. wire running through the car to the rear There cap stabilizes the bottleneck between the Alternator and battery and eliminates the voltage drop due to the sporadic high current demands of the amp on a dynamic load like music.Remember that the Power lead from alt to battery is about 15 ft and the ground from battery is less than 2. This eliminates some if not all of the ground of the ground loop noise or " alternator Whine"we had the same issue in my friend's 13 camaro. and it solved the problem immediately

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.