Handling optons for 2013 CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Handling optons for 2013 CTS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I'm interested in improving the handling of my 2013 CTS Wagon. After driving a loaned ATS, the CTS seems too ...
    Leonard is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Wagon

Handling optons for 2013 CTS

I'm interested in improving the handling of my 2013 CTS Wagon. After driving a loaned ATS, the CTS seems too soft with body roll and relatively numb steering. What options are available? I'm not interested in lowering.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Re: Handling optons for 2013 CTS

Not much in the way of suspension mods. Coilovers are the only way, period.

KLX
    KLX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Coupe
    Well I know Bc's are available what types are u using? Plus is anyone out there knows if there is a diameter difference between the v version and the 3.6 version of sway bars? Not thread jacking just asking?

What are coilovers and Bc's?

KLX
    KLX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Coupe
    BC racing a coilover manufacturer. Just Google coilovers.

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

Ok, here is the best info I can give you: Check with D3 Cadillac, they have springs and adjustable sway bars.....Eibach and H&R also make springs, KW makes adjustable coil overs, and there are several other companies as well..... Check White Line's web site, they make poly bushings for the car... But as I was informed, to reduce the body roll, you may have to lower the car, to reduce the sway, better/larger sway bars..... I have the FE2 suspension, my mechanic measured the sway bars, 29. something front and I think 19 in the rear (mm) ....Something else you might try, what tires are on the car? Mine have the Michelin Pilot HXMV. I plan to upgrade..... I also plan to go with coil overs, or lowering springs and bigger sway bars, and bushing change outs as well. Specifically the radius arm bushings.......... How many miles on the car? The problem with the CTS is getting accurate info on the suspension differences.... Apparently, the FE1, FE2, and I believe the FE3 all use the same springs and sway bars. No matter, the suspension is not to my standards. However, I was told by another Forum member to give it to 5K miles to let the springs settle in, and upgrade the tires. God how I miss my G8, then again, I had to fully mod that suspension as well.... BUT, there were aftermarket parts out the whazzo for that car.....I have spoken to BMR in Tampa, FL and beg them to come up with improved suspension parts for the CTS......Hope this helps out.... BTW, do a search, there are a lot of posts dealing with the CTS suspension.....

Read somewhere that the CTS Sport (the one with the 3.6 Turbo) has a sport suspension that includes 20% stiffer springs. It might have other mods as well (can't get much info about this model from web site). Anyway, wondering whether the suspension mods will fit the regular CTS. If so, perhaps a good way to upgrade.

----------

If suspension modified, does this void the warranty?

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

Suspension mods only affect the warranty of the parts replaced.... Should not interfere with GM warranty on the rest of the car......I doubt if the 2014 Springs will fit the second generation..... There were some design changes on the suspension of the 3rd Generation..... This included using lighter weight suspension parts.... Though it would be interesting to see if those springs would fit.... I would rather have stiffer springs but same ride height.... This is how the Pedders Street II suspension worked on the G8.....

Somewhere in the distant past, I remember reading about plugs that could be placed in between the coils to make the springs stiffer. Does this work? If so, pretty cheap and easy.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
    Somewhere in the distant past, I remember reading about plugs that could be placed in between the coils to make the springs stiffer. Does this work? If so, pretty cheap and easy.
    NO they don't work and you wouldn't like the result if they did work!

Do the V models have a sportier suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
    Do the V models have a sportier suspension?
    Absolutely. However, the V suspension cannot be interchanged. Read here: http://http://www.whyhighend.com/magnetic-suspension.html

Does this mean the XTS handles well because it also has the magnetic shocks?

It might. There are lots of other factors involved for handling other than the shocks and dialing in a "sports setting" on the electronics. Weight, balance (front/rear), chassis setup, center of gravity, tires, sway bars, etc.

wcthunder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond

Don't get caught up comparing apples to oranges. The ATS I drove as a loaner felt compact and I could easily feel the shorter wheel base, hence "sportier" feel. You're draggin a lot of wagon my friend.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.