Cutouts Installed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By arachnyd
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Cutouts Installed in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Finally got the cutouts on. I reckon they sound pretty good. Its hard to get a good recording. The words ...
    arachnyd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Cutouts Installed

Finally got the cutouts on. I reckon they sound pretty good. Its hard to get a good recording.

The words of the guy who did it at the performance shop said "It sounds like a pissed off M3".

Its hard to get a good sound recording, but here's what I can tell you. Its not obnoxiously loud, but its loud enough to let those around you know whats up. Its quiet enough that I'm probably going to leave them open all the time. There is no raspiness, rattle, or otherwise common with many V6s and pretty much all I4s. Any raspiness you hear is because its exceeding the limits of my cell phone microphone. While I've driven less than 5 miles with it so far, I've already been told "thats a V6? sounds like a d*mn V8"

So take from it what you will, and watch the video, but I must say I am 100% pleased

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mevaristo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Re: Cutouts Installed

that sounds awsome. can you give details on exactly what parts you used. I would really like to take a look at getting it done. sounds great

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Very nice indeed!

Definitely no rasp with a nice deep tone. I have to ask how's the drone between 1500-1800 RPM? Most people with any type of aftermarket systems suffer irritating drone in the lower RPM region.
    Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post
    Finally got the cutouts on. I reckon they sound pretty good. Its hard to get a good recording.

The words of the guy who did it at the performance shop said "It sounds like a pissed off M3".

Its hard to get a good sound recording, but here's what I can tell you. Its not obnoxiously loud, but its loud enough to let those around you know whats up. Its quiet enough that I'm probably going to leave them open all the time. There is no raspiness, rattle, or otherwise common with many V6s and pretty much all I4s. Any raspiness you hear is because its exceeding the limits of my cell phone microphone. While I've driven less than 5 miles with it so far, I've already been told "thats a V6? sounds like a d*mn V8"

So take from it what you will, and watch the video, but I must say I am 100% pleased

Quote Originally Posted by mevaristo View Post
    that sounds awsome. can you give details on exactly what parts you used. I would really like to take a look at getting it done. sounds great
    I looked into having one of the "top brands" installed and I opted for the Ebay Special. In the past I have gotten a lot of "hate" for the ebay specials, but I think its the smart move. I paid $206 shipped for both cutouts, the electric actuators, and the drops. The "name brands" cost more than that just for the cutouts and the drops, not even to mention the actuators. Conveniently, they also bolt up the same- so what I discovered is that if I bought these, and the actuators break in a year, I can unbolt the 3 bolds that hold it on, and throw a name brand one on there, still costing me less than if I went with the name brand to start with. On the flip side if they DON'T break, I saved hundreds of dollars.

I paid $320 for installation, so $526 total, but thats because I let the guy run the wiring for the switch also. If he just welded the cutouts on it was going to be about $180. (386 total). Cheaper than a full exhaust, sounds better than a lot of the exhausts we've seen out there, and it has a switch so I can go back to "I'm driving a cadillac mode" when I pick up a client or go out to a lunch meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by EVH5150 View Post
    Very nice indeed!

Definitely no rasp with a nice deep tone. I have to ask how's the drone between 1500-1800 RPM? Most people with any type of aftermarket systems suffer irritating drone in the lower RPM region.
    Since they are electric cutouts, you can always close them when you want to and feed out through the factory exhaust. My switch is mounted right under the hood release.

I don't notice an "irritating drone". In fact, they are pretty quiet at highway speeds in 6th gear between 65 and 75. A little louder at lower RPMs than that, but nothing that seems obnoxious or irritating. In fact I drive 42 miles to work each way and have had no interest in closing them yet. I feel like its just about the right volume inside the cabin. If the stereo is up, you can't hear them at all. If the stereo is low, you can just hear it enough to enjoy it. Now mind you, thats MY opinion, others may hate hearing it when they drive, in which case, flip the switch! haha. I do race cars competitively so my opinion of "loud exhaust" may be jaded.
    EVH5150 likes this.

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Sound is good, looks is not so good. Maybe cut the flange off the back so they don't show so bad? And make the pipes level, right one looks higher. Add a microswitch so when you switch to Sport/Manual mode the bypass opens. Cool!

ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistercoffee2 View Post
    Sound is good, looks is not so good. Maybe cut the flange off the back so they don't show so bad? And make the pipes level, right one looks higher. Add a microswitch so when you switch to Sport/Manual mode the bypass opens. Cool!
    Sweet idea w the sport mode.

Its a aisin 6spd manual. Its always in sport/manual mode The only reason I bought this car is because its essentially a 4 door camaro, and I had to sell my 2010 camaro SS because a car seat can't fit in the back easily.

You can't cut the flange because thats the electric cutouts bolted onto it The drops bolt on the other side, but I didn't put them on it yet because I wanted to see the cutouts work. I'll take another picture for you once I put the drops in. In a way I agree on the looks, but you can't see it unless your laying on the ground. The camera is about 4" from the ground in those pictures. But I could understand how some people may not like it.

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Its a aisin 6spd manual. Its always in sport/manual mode The only reason I bought this car is because its essentially a 4 door camaro, and I had to sell my 2010 camaro SS because a car seat can't fit in the back easily.

You can't cut the flange because thats the electric cutouts bolted onto it The drops bolt on the other side, but I didn't put them on it yet because I wanted to see the cutouts work. I'll take another picture for you once I put the drops in. In a way I agree on the looks, but you can't see it unless your laying on the ground. The camera is about 4" from the ground in those pictures. But I could understand how some people may not like it.
    Oh, it's not that I don't like it. I will retract my comments until you are done and then I won't mention Sports Mode.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Sounds great!

And please don't bring up poor MPG!

All in fun, Marv

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    Can we get some part numbers and etc. I'll get the same setup lol

I don't think it matters what ones you get! lol. I went cheap. Ebay Special, 2.25" cutouts. I looked high and wide for 2" or 2 1/8" to be a direct fit with no luck.

This is pretty much it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-25-57mm-EL...7f5e72&vxp=mtr

I went cheap because the cutouts with the motor are cheaper than the brand name cutouts without a motor, and the motor fits both of them. My plan was if they go out to replace them with brand name motors... but until then, these shall work!

DMill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium

Sound is good, looks is not so good!
    I couldn't agree more regarding the looks. Maybe take some satin black header (or bar-b-q) paint to hide the shiny flanges. The sound is pretty nice. Reminds me of a buddy's Jag XKE.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.