CTS DIY maintenance; easy?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, CTS DIY maintenance; easy? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; ive been doing lots of car research and in general, it seems like american cars are much easier to work ...
    joekitch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

CTS DIY maintenance; easy?

ive been doing lots of car research and in general, it seems like american cars are much easier to work on/service yourself than european cars, and the parts are far cheaper

is this true for the second gen cts as well?
    what kinds of jobs that might be easy on say, a japenese car, are very difficult on the cts?
    this is excluding the timing chain problems, of course, and in fact there's already a write up on how to fix that. an involved procedure but much easier than timing chain service on say, an audi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadaMike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS, 2010 CTS AWD DI

Re: CTS DIY maintenance; easy?

IMO I think it's mainly what you're used to doing. Let me explain. Cars now are much harder to work on for a number of reasons. Whether it's foreign or domestics, cars are so much different throughout the models. I know with Audi's you need a number of special tools that just aren't found in an everyday garage. However, I've had to pick up a few tools for my 2010 CTS too. I would say that the 2nd Gen CTS is a really easy car to perform an oil change on. It also is very easy to mess with the intake. Also, the first gen CTS (2003 in my case), I was able to change the alternator without a problem and perform oil changes with only a slight bit harder of a time. So, back to the question, what is easy on a foreign? I can't say that anything is easier or harder. It's really up to you to do the research and figure out how to perform tasks on the vehicle you have. It's not worth braking down what is harder or easier if you're just using this to decide which car you want.

calif phil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

To me that is a big benefit of owning American made cars, parts and serviceability are usually much cheaper
    and easier than foreign vehicles. I talked to a BMW owner last year who had spent $8500 in various repairs on his car in a year and half. He said he will never buy a BMW again.

joekitch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

well, thanks for the info but i was kinda looking for first-hand testimonial type stuff like
    "oh yeah the transmission service is super easy but the brake pads are a pain, worse than a mercedes", etc...

dandunham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L

I had a 2000 Audi A6 that I really loved before getting this 2011 CTS. I am not a super Mechanic but I did do a few things on that Audi listed bellow.
    valve cover gaskets, full front suspension, Brakes multiple times. oil changes, one CV joint boot. I had the timing belt, water pump, and misc stuff changed out by an euro shop that knew Audis well as you have to pull the front clip to do it.
    Parts are expensive however I did not find working on the car all that difficult. I found that you just need to understand they engineer things a bit different and tighter but if you take your time and do it their way its not bad. I found it easier to work on the Audi than most Japanese cars I have had. this is the first American car I have had since owning several 66 vintage mustangs so to be fair I don't really have experience working on the CTS other than oil changes. but from what I have seen things look well engineered and there seems to be more room to work with on this car. but you never know until you actually dig in to things.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

PM me your personal email and I will send you my conglomeration of CTS information in the form of a "CTS Knowledgebase". Basically it is a compilation of notes and threads on various How-To articles. In the form of a Word Doc.

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    Also interested. Tried to pm, you're full.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Yeah, yeah, yeah...it's cleaned out now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.