Help Needed - FE1 to FE2 Suspension Change Out.... PART NUMBERS REQUIRED
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tbbt
  • 1 Post By Panzer Leader
  • 1 Post By windzilla
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Help Needed - FE1 to FE2 Suspension Change Out.... PART NUMBERS REQUIRED in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Looking at changing out my FE1 to a FE2 suspension... Trying to get info out of GM is all but ...
    Panzer Leader is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

Help Needed - FE1 to FE2 Suspension Change Out.... PART NUMBERS REQUIRED

Looking at changing out my FE1 to a FE2 suspension... Trying to get info out of GM is all but impossible... From what I have been told the sway bars, struts and rear shocks are different but the spring rates are the same..... First, has anyone done this? Second, does it require any additional parts (strut bushing and bearings?) and new sway bar end links? Third and most important, does anyone have the PART NUMBERS of the various new components for the FE2? Many Thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: Help Needed - FE1 to FE2 Suspension Change Out.... PART NUMBERS REQUIRED

Panzer,

I would start with http://www.trademotion.com/index.cfm...&notValidMake= which is GM parts direct. They do a great job of providing illustrations to assist you in choosing the parts you will need.

Good luck, Marv
    Vicegrip55 likes this.

MARV, thanks but I have been in contact with the GM Parts Club contact at a dealership... They can't figure it out..... Those parts diagrams are terrible.... Somewhere, someone, probably an 80 year old Granny in Tennis Shoes at GM Headquarters, has a simple part numbering list.

Good luck with Granny! I don't think she's on the forum!

Marv

OK, here is a request....Next time someone with the performance equipped suspension has the car on a lift. If you can, please write down the part numbers if possible..... I just need the strut/shock and sway bars..... Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer Leader View Post
    OK, here is a request....Next time someone with the performance equipped suspension has the car on a lift. If you can, please write down the part numbers if possible..... I just need the strut/shock and sway bars..... Thanks...
    I see that Tonklin's site shows part numbers. Look at their site for the numbers .......

http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/

Thanks Marv.... I see potential suspension and brake upgrades.....

MARV, I called Tonklin's phone number for parts. I only got a message saying the voice mail was filled.. Sent an email.... Hopefully will hear something back soon.. Question came up in another thread. Will the "V" suspension fit other CTS models.... particularly the Magnetic ride struts and shocks... My guess yes, BUT would mean new strut tower bumpers, bushings and bearings...... This is the info I got from one dealer...

FE1: which is available in AWD/RWD. Bilstein Shocks, 24mm front, 18mm rear stabilizer bars (33mm front and 19mm rear on AWD); open diff(s); 17.4:1 steering ratio. 8.0 x 17-inch alloy wheels with 235/55R17 Michelin MXV4 all season tires standard.

FE2: Available with RWD/AWD. Same spring rates as the FE1, but stiffer-rate Bilstein shocks. 29mm front, 20mm rear stabilizer bars; faster 16.1:1 steering ratio; limited slip differentials. Larger, wider 8.5 x 18-inch alloy wheels with 235/50R18 Michelin MXV4 all season tires. RWD gets FE1 brake package (12.4-in front rotors with aluminum calipers); AWD gets larger diameter FE3 brakes.

FE3. RWD only. Same steering, springs and bars as FE2, but uprated shocks (Bilstein front and Sachs Nivomat load leveling at the rear). Standard brake package includes 13.6-in front rotors with cast iron calipers.

My question is, "What are the sizes of the front and rear sway bars on the "V" model? And do the end links need to be swapped out as well?

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

If the dealer's parts department needs a vin, I would suggest looking on the dealer's lot for a car with the FE2 option and use that vin. Just an idea.

Thanks to all.... Got a VIN and build sheet, sent it to Tonklin. Hopefully they will get me a parts number list and pricing....
    CTS_ likes this.

windzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey panz

It would be much appreciated if you would share your build list. I know you have done all the
    Footwork but we could all benefit from this I think.

Thanks!
    CTS_ likes this.

Here is the latest update. It appears that starting in 2010 ALL CTS V6 cars were put on the FE2 suspension (both the 3.0 and 3.6 liter) The FE1 was apparently dropped. Now where does that leave us. Well, that leaves the KW coil overs, and the Whiteline suspension bushings as the available suspension mods..... I do NOT know if the CTSV sway bars will fit the 6 cylinder model..... If you decide to go with the KW and Whiteline, the cost of the parts combined are about $3K..... No price on the sway bars at this time.......

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer Leader View Post
    Here is the latest update. It appears that starting in 2010 ALL CTS V6 cars were put on the FE2 suspension (both the 3.0 and 3.6 liter) The FE1 was apparently dropped. Now where does that leave us. Well, that leaves the KW coil overs, and the Whiteline suspension bushings as the available suspension mods..... I do NOT know if the CTSV sway bars will fit the 6 cylinder model..... If you decide to go with the KW and Whiteline, the cost of the parts combined are about $3K..... No price on the sway bars at this time.......
    I'm sorry but I don't think that is correct. My 2010 luxury model had FE1 suspension. My 2012 coupe of course has the FE2 as do all coupes. I could not find anything; searching google that indicated that the FE1 suspension was dropped prior to 2013.

Saggio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 10' CTS Wagon

What would an FE3 suspension be installed on from the factory?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.