20" pros and cons
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin2050
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, 20" pros and cons in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Good morning all, I am considering putting 20" rims on my 2008 cts sport OEM are 18" now. I have ...
    allbee1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts sport

20" pros and cons

Good morning all,

I am considering putting 20" rims on my 2008 cts sport OEM are 18" now. I have some concerns as far as driven, brakes, suspension tire pressure sensors etc.... Any input or past experience with putting 20" on cts information would be greatly appreciated. Of course the guy selling me the rims says there no issue but we all know how that goes

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: 20" pros and cons

Don't double post, Please!

allbee1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts sport

Sorry

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by allbee1 View Post
    Sorry
    You're welcome! But doing it just bogs down the server and also makes it harder to do searches that yield good information. We all can learn, including me!

DaddysCaddy13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts
    Go for it I installed 20's on mine and it rides pretty smooth for aftermarket wheels

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

mrcoupe2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI

I put a set of 20" wheels on mine for a couple of months before going back to the 18" wheels the car came with. I really liked the looks the car had with the 20" wheels and I got such a great deal on the wheels, I figured I'd try it out. Here are my observations, not all wheels will have the same results and some of these observations will probably not matter to others as much as they did to me. The 20" wheels I used were a set of take offs from a 2010 Camaro SS.

TPMS - not a problem, the car is easily reprogrammed for new sensors. Takes about 5 minutes start to finish. Aftermarket rims just need to be able to support the standard GM TPMS sensor (it's part of the valve stem assembly).

Acceleration - Car accelerated a little slower due to the taller wheel/tire combo. I didn't calculate the effective change to the final drive ratio, but that could be mitigated by going with a tire size that is closer to stock in diameter. (I went from 235/50-18 to 245/45-20 which is about a 1.5" increase in diameter).

Braking - Car definitely took more effort to stop and had a longer stopping distance. I only took a single measurement, but it took a little more than an extra 5 feet to stop the car from 60mph than it did for the stock wheels. The new tire/wheel combo added approximately 55lbs of additional rotating, unsprung mass to the car.

Gas Mileage - Really took a hit here - I went from an average of about 21mpg in daily driving to 17.5mpg. Granted I mostly do non-highway driving, but I am not in a lot of stop and go city traffic either. This was confirmed over about 4 tanks of gas. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to jump on the highway and really put on a significant number of miles at highway speeds on the car to see the effect on highway mpg.

Handling - The car had a much heavier feel in the corners (as well as just cruising). My other problem was that the tires rubbed on the plastic rivets that hold the fender liner to the fender. This could be cured by going with a smaller sidewall on the tire, but considering the other factors, decided to pass on adding to what I had already spent. The rubbing mostly occurred if I was starting to turn while I was on the brakes. Non-spirited, gentle, casual driving did not produce any rubbing.

I still like the look and stance of the car with the 20" wheels, but for me is really sucked the fun out of driving the car. If I had more throw away income, I might try out a different 20" wheel/tire combo. I would definitely go with as light a weight wheel as could afford to offset the negative attributes that come with increasing rim size.

Kevin2050 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    All negatives in my opinion.
    tinman likes this.

Jagillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe
    I would disagree. I have 20" wheels on my coupe and I had them on my 06 civic sedan before.

From my experience the negative affects that have been mentioned above come from the type of wheel and tire chosen for each vehicle. In the case with my civic I was unaware and made bad choices. Picked up 20" wheel that I could afford but when with extremely cheap tires to make it affordable. The rims ended up being really heavy and the tires just garbage. Not to mention the wrong size for the car. I experienced all the problems listed above. Changed the nite for a better quality and right size, the car felt better but still too heavy.

With my Coupe on the other hand. I did a lot of home work. Had a bigger budget and did cut corners. Wait and got what I knew would be perfect for this car. Not only has my ride quality not gone down but the car feels even better when taking corners. The wheels and tire together together don't weigh as much as my stock 18s but because I went with a performance summer tire it has amazing grip in wet and dry conditions. As soon as I put them on I immediately though the steering felt lighter but though it was just me. I let my friend drive and without saying anything he felt the same thing. I haven't seen any difference in gas milage probably because my over all diameter is only 2% smaller.

I'm very pleased with my setup and if I have any recommendation it would be to do your homework and not cut corners. In the end you get what you paid for.

mrcoupe2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI
    Jagillac, I would have to wholeheartedly agree with you on having to do the research and making sure you take everything into account - don't cut corners. I might take another swing at another set of rims in the future, but only after I have set aside enough money to do it correctly. I'm just glad that in my case, I am going to be able to recover what money I did spend on the experiment.

Jagillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe
    That's very good to hear mrcoupe2002! I really am very pleased with my vossens and honestly feel like I will continue to go to them for future vehicles too. Their customer service for me has been very good. I had to save for a while before I got them but once I saw them and researched their product I knew it was for me.

I hope you do try again and find it a more pleasant experience

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.