LS powered CTS?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, LS powered CTS? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi, has anyone seen a post here or anywhere else talking about or showing a build of a LS powered ...
    Turbo kid is offline Cadillac Owners Member

LS powered CTS?

Hi, has anyone seen a post here or anywhere else talking
    about or showing a build of a LS powered cts coupe?
    Thanks for any info!! Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mn800r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 V Coupe, 05 V Mod'd, 91 Fatboy,98 Ultra classic, 07 Tahoe

Re: LS powered CTS?

Yeah it's called by a V
    conedoctor and MoistCabbage like this.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

2010 CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.0

Every time somebody asks this question it get's the same stupid answer. Unfortunately none of them answer the dang question. Getting a V is all well and good but it's not an option for everybody. A cheap high mileage 2nd gen V will run you right at 45k but you'll normally find them in the 50-55K range.

I can't stand car payments. I just picked up a 3.0L for 19k and it ate me up having to finance 10 of that.

To the OP, I haven't seen any build threads on this forum or others. You'd be more likely to see something on LS1Tech.com if anywhere.

There's no reason why you couldn't do a LS2 level swap with high attention to details for 8-10. Essentially it should be a bolt in opportation.

A quick checklist:
    1. CTS V engine mounts
    2. Engine
    3. Transmission
    4. Clutch or stall
    5. Wiring harness
    6. Drive shaft
    7. Possibly upgraded rear end. I'm not sure how much power the V6 rears hold and if they even have a differential.
    8. Maybe a new gauge cluster
    9. Maybe radiator & fan, but definitely hoses
    10. ECU
    11. Exhaust

It's not impossible that they use a completely different front crossmember for the V. If they do, it shouldn't be more than 10% more on the cost.

If I ever decided to do this I'd take it small steps at a time. I've build LS engines before, so I'd keep an eye out in the FS section of LS1tech. Get you a block and keep an eye out for a rotating assembly and other parts for the bottom end. You can find used OEM or even some nice aftermarket AFR heads all the time for a good price. See, here's some cheap LS3 heads. They got down to $900 never used.

Will it be a V after the swap. Nope. Is it a great alternative, possibly. I need you to jump in and let me know how it goes.

A custom turbo kit for your car will most likely net you less power and a hell of a lot less gas mileage. And it will cost you about the same with the high probability of being less reliable.
    D VADER likes this.

joekitch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

cadillac owners (especially on this forum) are terrified of mods on principle.
    you'll see engine swaps become more common a few years down the road when these cars are cheaper and less of a hit if the swap fails

which is why you see lots of late 90s early 2000s cars getting swaps

of course that could also be due to less computerization. there's lots of little bits which will whine at you when you plug them into different components

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

There is a great thread here how a member did a v6 to V conversion.....seems like he did a great job. Read it (very long, but good info).
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    you'll see engine swaps become more common a few years down the road when these cars are cheaper and less of a hit if the swap fails

of course that could also be due to less computerization. there's lots of little bits which will whine at you when you plug them into different components
    Very true. As far as a candidate for a swap, the CTS has to be the perfect choice when they become more popular.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post

Wrong! Most owners here are not interested in this type of mod to their cars. Generally Cadillac owners don't use their cars at the drag strip. They use them for everyday transportation, good ride, good handling and good MPG. NOT drag strip operation.

I once had a 53 Studebaker coupe with a 392 Hemi in it. Would I do that to my Cad Wagon? No way, I've grown up and now live an adult life. That sucker could fly, but braking was a problem and it would be in a V8 swap if you didn't do upgrades over and above what '2010 CTS' is suggesting. It's not that simple! If you disagree, then go ahead do a swap and let us know! It will be fun listening to your story.

I used to race motorcycles too, but that is another story for another site. But I did grow up and become an adult!

Going fast is cool! Staying alive is better! Much better! Did someone say insurance costs?

Joe, your fun to 'listen to' but most here don't take you seriously here.

Good Luck, Marv
    D VADER and EVH5150 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    Wrong! Most owners here are not interested in this type of mod to their cars. Generally Cadillac owners don't use their cars at the drag strip. They use them for everyday transportation, good ride, good handling and good MPG. NOT drag strip operation.

I once had a 53 Studebaker coupe with a 392 Hemi in it. Would I do that to my Cad Wagon? No way, I've grown up and now live an adult life. That sucker could fly, but braking was a problem and it would be in a V8 swap if you didn't do upgrades over and above what '2010 CTS' is suggesting. It's not that simple! If you disagree, then go ahead do a swap and let us know! It will be fun listening to your story.

I used to race motorcycles too, but that is another story for another site. But I did grow up and become an adult!

Going fast is cool! Staying alive is better! Much better! Did someone say insurance costs?

Joe, your fun to 'listen to' but most here don't take you seriously here.

Good Luck, Marv
    Wow Marv. You get a little hostile when people don't agree with you.

I hate to tell you this, but Cadillac isn't marketing to old men anymore. They want the 30-40 year old that wants style and performance.

Also, I don't remember anyone saying that they want to build the CTS for drag racing. A 4000 pound car isn't the place to start for that.

Go test drive a Pontiac G8 GT or GXP. Same chassis but it has a L76 in the GT and a LS3 in the GXP. The L76 is essentially a LS3 with displacement on demand. The power delivery is like butter.

Putting an LS3 in the CTS would give you worlds better driving experience, about the same or more MPG and tons of power on tap. All of that without having to drive around an ugly Pontiac G8.

This really becomes an option for the people out of warranty with a blown engine.

I'm still trying to figure out how someone is going to die because they mod their car. Driving like an a-hole is what will kill you. The CTS stock has plenty to get me in trouble now, but that doesn't mean I'm sliding around in traffic.

As far as insurance, it won't change. If I go buy a V it will go through the roof. If you call your insurance company and add the work and materials value to the amount you have insured, it will go up slightly. No more than letting them know about your new wheels.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

2010 CTS,

OK, Let's stir the pot! No one is hostile, I'm just giving my opinion to a post! You can choose to read it or not, like it or not.

Yes, maybe I jumped to the conclusion that you wanted to drag race, my bad. I was NOT hostile. Insurance costs? Just try to change the drive train in a car to much higher HP and see what happens the first time you need an insurance claim or need to have a emissions check. Higher insurance, if you can get insurance at all after that. You at least understand that a V car is more costly to insure, why do you think that is?

Have you ever heard the phrase "speed kills"? It's a fact of nature. Or maybe you want more HP so you can go slower, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions again? Same MPG, don't think so, are you going to drive your pumped up car like your v6, not!

As far as Cadillac changing it's market to a broader age, that's a good thing as far as I can tell. However I still say that a very small margin of CTS owners would want to go through the exercise you propose. That isn't what Cadillac owners want out of their car, regardless of age.

Love it when new members come on and get agitated when someone doesn't agree with them. And my post wasn't addressed to you anyway. I only mentioned that it way was much more complicated than you indicated.

Oh, welcome to the forum!

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt
    2010 CTS, OK, Let's stir the pot! No one is hostile, I'm just giving my opinion to a post! You can choose to read it or not, like it or not. Yes, maybe I jumped to the conclusion that you wanted to drag race, my bad. I was NOT hostile. Insurance costs? Just try to change the drive train in a car to much higher HP and see what happens the first time you need an insurance claim or need to have a emissions check. Higher insurance, if you can get insurance at all after that. You at least understand that a V car is more costly to insure, why do you think that is? Have you ever heard the phrase "speed kills"? It's a fact of nature. Or maybe you want more HP so you can go slower, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions again? Same MPG, don't think so, are you going to drive your pumped up car like your v6, not! As far as Cadillac changing it's market to a broader age, that's a good thing as far as I can tell. However I still say that a very small margin of CTS owners would want to go through the exercise you propose. That isn't what Cadillac owners want out of their car, regardless of age. Love it when new members come on and get agitated when someone doesn't agree with them. And my post wasn't addressed to you anyway. I only mentioned that it way was much more complicated than you indicated. Oh, welcome to the forum!
    I would tend to agree with you that heavily modifying the car, and I would consider an engine swap a heavy modification, will have an impact when you insure it, assuming you disclose what you did. Some companies may even choose to not insure the car since the performance and risk factors are so different.

Now keep in mind I said MAY not.

As for driving behaviors I do feel that if you have the power you will exploit it. Does it mean you're a bad driver or going to get into an accident? Maybe, maybe not, but you are changing your risk factor. There is a reason why the insurance in a V6 Mustang is different than a Mustang Cobra GT500.

Me personally, i would kill for a V coupe. Do I need one? Absolutely not. The 318 horses in my coupe are more than sufficient for my daily commute or when I want to get on it a bit. Doesn't change the fact that I still want a V coupe, it just isn't in the cards for me right now.

If I do swing for one in the future it will be awfully tempting to exploit that power.

As for modding, I would love to mod my car as much as the next guy and I have done a bit of it with our V6 Mustang convertible. We bought it as a summer car but it didn't take long before I started wishing I bought the GT. There are two limiting factors for me based on what I have learned.

First off, to get any serious power gains you're going to have to spend a lot of money. A CAI and a tune will only get you nominal improvements and when you start spending serious cash, you probably would have been better off buying the top model anyway.

Now there is a fun factor in doing the mods that you can't really put a price tag on, but from a pragmatic view, it really isn't worth it for the power gains that you get. For me at least.

Secondly, I really don't want to put my warranty at risk. These are expensive and somewhat complicated vehicles. As some one said, the computers tend to get miffed when parts are installed that weren't meant for it from the start and I don't want to get into an argument with a dealer over coverage.

Yes I know that with time and money you can make anything work, but if I'm going to spend Thousands of dollars to get serious performance, then I should have just bought a V. That car was born with those performance parts.

Again, that us only my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    2010 CTS,

OK, Let's stir the pot! No one is hostile, I'm just giving my opinion to a post! You can choose to read it or not, like it or not.

Yes, maybe I jumped to the conclusion that you wanted to drag race, my bad. I was NOT hostile. Insurance costs? Just try to change the drive train in a car to much higher HP and see what happens the first time you need an insurance claim or need to have a emissions check. Higher insurance, if you can get insurance at all after that. You at least understand that a V car is more costly to insure, why do you think that is?

Have you ever heard the phrase "speed kills"? It's a fact of nature. Or maybe you want more HP so you can go slower, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions again? Same MPG, don't think so, are you going to drive your pumped up car like your v6, not!

As far as Cadillac changing it's market to a broader age, that's a good thing as far as I can tell. However I still say that a very small margin of CTS owners would want to go through the exercise you propose. That isn't what Cadillac owners want out of their car, regardless of age.

Love it when new members come on and get agitated when someone doesn't agree with them. And my post wasn't addressed to you anyway. I only mentioned that it way was much more complicated than you indicated.

Oh, welcome to the forum!
    I guess I was a little touchy.

gohawks had a good point that when it's there you are more likely to use it.

I doubt 5% of CTS owners will be jumping into a V8 swap even when they become a mod with a detailed how-to. This is an enthusiast forum, though. We should be supporting people willing to take a different path. Wanna add the factory navigation to your ride? Sure, it's a tedious process but this is what you'll need and this is how you do it.

While an engine swap is definitely more involved, I still don't think it will be anything someone with basic tools and motivation couldn't do cleanly in their garage.

As far as insurance, I've had good experience with State Farm and engine swaps with other vehicles. YMMV with different vehicles and insurance.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Now there is a fun factor in doing the mods that you can't really put a price tag on, but from a pragmatic view, it really isn't worth it for the power gains that you get. For me at least.

Secondly, I really don't want to put my warranty at risk. These are expensive and somewhat complicated vehicles. As some one said, the computers tend to get miffed when parts are installed that weren't meant for it from the start and I don't want to get into an argument with a dealer over coverage.

Yes I know that with time and money you can make anything work, but if I'm going to spend Thousands of dollars to get serious performance, then I should have just bought a V. That car was born with those performance parts.

Again, that us only my opinion.
    Jumping from 318 at the crank to 400+ at the wheels is a massive difference. There are a couple different routes to take but all of them will run you a pretty penny. This is assuming you're starting with the LLX or at least the LLT. Guys like me in the 3.0L land seem to be in uncharted territory. I have been talking with RX Performance about working on a turbo kit. A 3.0L direct injection engine in nothing to sneeze at. DI loves forced induction too. So far we are talking about a single turbo kit but I'm still curious about a twin. A smaller twin setup should spool instantly, ending the lack of low end power under both part throttle and full. Even under low boost, I bet it would be between 360 and 400 at the crank.

For what it's worth, when I swap an LS into another vehicle it's going to be my little Miata I use for autocross. A guy that races in my region has the crate gmperformance LS3-525 version dropped into a prepped first gen. 2200lbs race weight with him in it with 51/49 weight distribution. It's insane.

Turbo kid is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey guys, thanks for the input!! I have installed LS motors in several different cars. I do all of my own
    work and can find parts new and used at excellent prices on different forums! The cost of a nice V vs the
    cost of a used base cts leaves me room to build something fun to drive and that is a little more affordable! Yes I know it won't ever be a V and that's ok. It's well known that many guys have built LS motors that make big power at a small(ish ) price. I myself like the LS 3 backed by a 4L80E OD trans. They are both strong and they both do well with modest boost.
    I have been looking for my next project car and I really like the looks of the new coupes! That's the only reason I have been thinking about buying a used one. I am not worried about a warranty,drag racing or any type of racing. Just looking for the fun of the build and the feel of the LS boost!!Once you try it you just may get hooked !!
    My last build was a Buick grand national with a forged LQ9,4L80E,home brew
    Turbo system. The car idles as if stock but runs stronger(705rwhp) than the 6 cyl that I removed !!( with the same mpg's)
    I guess I enjoy the build as much as driving the finished project! Well maybe I enjoy the building a little more!

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Quote Originally Posted by 2010 CTS View Post
    I guess I was a little touchy.

gohawks had a good point that when it's there you are more likely to use it.

I doubt 5% of CTS owners will be jumping into a V8 swap even when they become a mod with a detailed how-to. This is an enthusiast forum, though. We should be supporting people willing to take a different path. Wanna add the factory navigation to your ride? Sure, it's a tedious process but this is what you'll need and this is how you do it.

While an engine swap is definitely more involved, I still don't think it will be anything someone with basic tools and motivation couldn't do cleanly in their garage.

As far as insurance, I've had good experience with State Farm and engine swaps with other vehicles. YMMV with different vehicles and insurance.

----------

Jumping from 318 at the crank to 400+ at the wheels is a massive difference. There are a couple different routes to take but all of them will run you a pretty penny. This is assuming you're starting with the LLX or at least the LLT. Guys like me in the 3.0L land seem to be in uncharted territory. I have been talking with RX Performance about working on a turbo kit. A 3.0L direct injection engine in nothing to sneeze at. DI loves forced induction too. So far we are talking about a single turbo kit but I'm still curious about a twin. A smaller twin setup should spool instantly, ending the lack of low end power under both part throttle and full. Even under low boost, I bet it would be between 360 and 400 at the crank.

For what it's worth, when I swap an LS into another vehicle it's going to be my little Miata I use for autocross. A guy that races in my region has the crate gmperformance LS3-525 version dropped into a prepped first gen. 2200lbs race weight with him in it with 51/49 weight distribution. It's insane.
    Ya but does he beat CSP on PAX or RAW? Sad

Most people just want to go fast and forget the total package and the fact not everyone just likes to race in a straight line, stopping and turning is just as much fun.

If you swap (not directed and anyone) do the world a favor and buy good brake pads and do a season of autoX first so you know how to drive and not just be a dangerous tool driving a fast car lol

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Is the V8 the way to go or would a well built V6 turbo deliver the same and save money at the same time?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.