Stop oil coking on intake valves
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Stop oil coking on intake valves in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; If you have a 2008 and up DI engine, this is what is happening to your engine: https://www.google.com/search?q=inta...w=2021&bih=875 Installing the ...
    SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Stop oil coking on intake valves

If you have a 2008 and up DI engine, this is what is happening to your engine:

https://www.google.com/search?q=inta...w=2021&bih=875

Installing the RX oil separating system prevents this from occurring, and anyone that has removed their intake manifold can attest to how bad this issue is.
    Want more details? Just ask and I am happy to answer and provide more tech info.

The solution?

Have updated all the RX systems with high quality 1/4 turn ball valve drains, and inline flow controlling checkvalves that are silent in operation, and AN fittings standard on the dual valve now:

For the clean side (your filtered, metered fresh make up air) the 1LE style RX Billet cleanside separator maintains a closed system and prevents cleanside oil ingestion, yet keeps the entire system closed and the air 100% metered by the MAF. It has a cleanable coalescing element and replaces the oil fill cap similar to the standard breather kit. It will NOT fit under the hood on a V6, only the V8's:

As always, cans, etc. in most any color you want no extra charge.

www.RevXtreme.com or call 941-721-1826 to order.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tri-SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2010 CTS 3.6DI FE3, 2011 CTS-V

Re: Stop oil coking on intake valves

Here's a photo of the oil that the RX catch can caught from my engine in approx 5000kms. The jar is 500ml so that's about 200ml or almost 7oz collected. I wish I would have know about this sooner!

IMG_00000096R.jpg

We have a test 3.6L DI that had the RX can installed day one new, and it had 68k miles on the last he stopped in and we put the boroscope in....but at 68k miles there was zero buildup on the valves, only a light "dusty" looking residue.

MD_Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium 11 MPG COMBINED...No Fix

Is this what everyone refers to as a "catch can"? What exactly does it do and would it negate the factory warranty? Thanks.

Cant effect warranty as it does not have any negative effect on any engine part, just the opposite.

Yes, but 99% of the cans out there are no more than a empty can with 2 fittings installed, and even some of the bigger names still allow 30-40% of the oil to pass right through.

You only want air/fuel mixture in your combustion chamber, oil does not burn clean and leaves harmful deposits, and with today direct injection engines there is no fuel spray hitting the intake valve to keep them from building deposits like the older port injection engines. Just look at a Shell placard on a fuel pump of a dirty and clean valve for an example.

Here is a traditional port injection where the detergent additives in top tier fuels keeps the intake valve deposit free:

And a direct injection engine where the fuel never touches the intake valve:

A properly designed catchcan traps and removes the oil mist from the crankcase evac system eliminating the buildup.

Here is what intake valves on a DI engine look like after as little as 10k miles causing loss of power and fuel economy:

And what a super charger intercooler looks like in 15k miles:

Simple installation but requires draining the can at regular intervals and disposing of the oil and the damaging compounds caught with it. Every 4-5k miles with most engines.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by SC2150
    Cant effect warranty as it does not have any negative effect on any engine part, just the opposite. Yes, but 99% of the cans out there are no more than a empty can with 2 fittings installed, and even some of the bigger names still allow 30-40% of the oil to pass right through. You only want air/fuel mixture in your combustion chamber, oil does not burn clean and leaves harmful deposits, and with today direct injection engines there is no fuel spray hitting the intake valve to keep them from building deposits like the older port injection engines. Just look at a Shell placard on a fuel pump of a dirty and clean valve for an example. Here is a traditional port injection where the detergent additives in top tier fuels keeps the intake valve deposit free: And a direct injection engine where the fuel never touches the intake valve: A properly designed catchcan traps and removes the oil mist from the crankcase evac system eliminating the buildup. Here is what intake valves on a DI engine look like after as little as 10k miles causing loss of power and fuel economy: And what a super charger intercooler looks like in 15k miles: Simple installation but requires draining the can at regular intervals and disposing of the oil and the damaging compounds caught with it. Every 4-5k miles with most engines.
    A question for you.... I posted this a while ago hoping you would answer.

I installed the catch can, but I notice when hot I get the odor of crankcase fumes when standing outside near he front of the car. I don't have any leaks and I just went in for an oil change and they didn't find any leaks either.

Normal?

Should not be any odor as the system remains closed per emissions, can you post detailed pictures of how its routed? Thx.

Should not be any odor as the system remains closed per emissions, can you post detailed pictures of how its routed? Thx.
    Apparently I have reached my quota on pictures. Can you PM me you email address and I will send.

Just email: RXProducts@aol.com

Just email: RXProducts@aol.com
    Done. Thanks.

rfdude is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Does the same thing happen to the SFI 3.6L engine? I noticed the DI was only quoted above.

Quote Originally Posted by rfdude View Post
    Does the same thing happen to the SFI 3.6L engine? I noticed the DI was only quoted above.
    Less so. As I believe has been stated in this thread, in traditional port injected engines the fuel (which contains detergents) travels through the intake ports and over the valves helping to keep them clean. Direct injected engines (hence the name) spray fuel directly into the cylinder, as a result the intake ports and valves do not get the benefit of the detergents in the fuel.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
    After our email exchange I removed the tubes and pushed them in a bit tighter. Might even consider even putting clamps on them, but it seems as though the odor has disappeared. I will continue to check.

go hawk is correct on the SFI versions. There the top tier fuel detergents do a great job of keeping the intake valves free of coking:

But you still have the reduced power and fuel economy of the oil contaminating the combustion process and any detonation as a result.

2010 CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.0

Awesome product. Is this an issue in the 3.0Ls?

On ALL DI engines domestic and import. GM's new DI V8 engines for 2014 have a much improved oil separator integrated into the drivers side valve cover that is 3 times as effective as the old versions baffle, but it still allows a good deal through....but they are getting there.

www.RevXtreme.com or 941-721-1826 to order.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.