What is the diameter of the exhaust pipe?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, What is the diameter of the exhaust pipe? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I'm putting in cutouts. I know, no performance gain, ricey, sounds like crap- heard all those comments from searching. What ...
    arachnyd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

What is the diameter of the exhaust pipe?

I'm putting in cutouts. I know, no performance gain, ricey, sounds like crap- heard all those comments from searching.

What I didn't find from searching is the exhaust pipe diameter. I'm looking post-cat, pre-muffler. Searching showed the CTS-V is 2.5". Is the non-V (in this case 3.6L DI) also 2.5"?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Pretty sure its 2" but love the cutout idea! I wanted to do this but weld a racing muffler/aftermarket one onto the cutout. Kuddos sir upload a vid for me when your done please

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: What is the diameter of the exhaust pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post
    I'm putting in cutouts.
    Love the idea but you need to get under the car, get dirty, and measure the pipe yourself.
    C "T" ess and Mn800r like this.

Then maybe someone can give me a little bit of insight regarding how to measure the pipe. When a pipe says 2.5", is that OD or ID? Because I measured and came up with ;like 2.3" which is neither 2.5" or 2.0".

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post
    Then maybe someone can give me a little bit of insight regarding how to measure the pipe. When a pipe says 2.5", is that OD or ID? Because I measured and came up with ;like 2.3" which is neither 2.5" or 2.0".
    Not that's a good question but the answer is GOOGLE!!! One simple search returned answers to your question. Here is one, with video.

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/0...pipe-diameter/

I'm watching you for future "I'm too Lazy to type GOOGLE" post". (not really, that would be boring.)
    C "T" ess and Tbbt like this.

I don't know what else you want out of me because google isn't solving my problem.. See, the problem is you have some weird sizes. So while I can measure an OD of about 2.3" diameter, that could be 2 1/4" ID or 2" ID.

Now I used the string method instead of a tape measure (like I did the first time), and I came up with the dimension of 2 1/8" OD, which would be too small for 2 1/4" ID, which tells me its 2", but I'd still love to see someone else confirm it. Makes me feel better about myself!

Now that I know its 2" ID and 2 1/8". Can a 2 1/4" compress enough with a hose clamp to slip it over the 2" pipe and clamp it down (Can't weld stainless), or do I need to get a 2" and use flanges?

In my defense, when you do plumbing, they have OD and ID numbers. Exhaust has a single number. When I do search (Here's one of the first sites that came up: http://www.yotatech.com/f123/how-do-...i-d-o-d-65676/ ) The word on the street is "It depends- usually its ID but sometimes its OD"

And to defend myself on your fears of me just being too lazy, I've done way more "How-Tos" than most posters on other forums, so trust me when I say in time I'll add more to the forum than I'll ask!

How to reupholster your top: http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-cla...er-solved.html
    How to rebuild convertible top cylinders on convertible hard tops: http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-cla...-rebuilds.html
    Car Stereo Installation: http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-gen...der-200-a.html
    Install backup camera: http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/caf...,139521.0.html
    How to install remote tailgate lock: http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/caf...,139580.0.html
    DIY Window Tint: http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/caf...39522.new.html
    Determined RPO Codes for Avalanche: http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/caf...tml#msg2026182

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Pipe and tube is measured on the outside, hose is on the ID, exceptions to every rule sure but for the most part. The exhaust is made out of tubing not pipe, pipe has odd sizes on the OD that do not match the size of pipe, 2" pipe is 2 3/8 OD

Pipe has to be the same or you could not thread it or clamp it, tube needs to be the same as well so fittings and clamps work. Hose gets bigger on the outside, pipe and tube on the inside.

If you get 2.3 I would say it is 2 1/4 (2.25), my SRX was 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 depending on where it was in the system so I can see them using 2 1/4. 2 1/8 would be 2.125 and I really can't see them using it.

Stainless welds just like carbon steel, weld it up if you can. Or get a shop to make you an expander or reducer to do what you need.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    Pipe and tube is measured on the outside, hose is on the ID, exceptions to every rule sure but for the most part. The exhaust is made out of tubing not pipe, pipe has odd sizes on the OD that do not match the size of pipe, 2" pipe is 2 3/8 OD.

Pipe has to be the same or you could not thread it or clamp it, tube needs to be the same as well so fittings and clamps work. Hose gets bigger on the outside, pipe and tube on the inside.

If you get 2.3 I would say it is 2 1/4 (2.25), my SRX was 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 depending on where it was in the system so I can see them using 2 1/4. 2 1/8 would be 2.125 and I really can't see them using it.

Stainless welds just like carbon steel, weld it up if you can. Or get a shop to make you an expander or reducer to do what you need.
    Tubing is measured on the OD; pipe is measured ID. Hence, 2" schedule 40 IPS measures approximately 2-3/8" outside diameter. 2" tubing, whether it is .060 wall or say .125 wall will still measure 2" OD.
    Stainless welds like carbon, yes, but you should really use stainless rod. This is my everyday business...I am more than willing to help you out with facts and information if you ask. PM if interested.

Pipe is measured on the OD as it never changes, just like tube never changes on the OD. I deal with pipe and tube as well, most of the time it is OD and wall thickness and ID does not really enter the picture. Using ID would be a pain IMO

Yes you should use stainless rod, but if you are a DIYer and have the wire/rod then I say rock on, it may not last as long but the 400 series the exhaust is made out of will rust anyway.

How would you order one length of 2" schedule 40 IPS?

20' of 2" sch 40
    or
    20' of 2-3/8" sch 40?

I order by the size, but the size has little to do with the size.

So I would order 2" sch 40, 2 3/8 does not exist. When I order pipe or tube for fluid lines I already know the OD and the ID varies on the pressure rating I need but other than flow I don't care what the ID is as I don't thread, clamp, socket, flare or compress the ID. The actual OD of pipe is never mentioned in the ordering process, now if I am looking for a piece or at Metal Supermarket then I need the OD or wall thickness to make sure it is right. If I have to order 2 3/8 OD pipe I have called the wrong guys lol

When I order tubing for machining it is all OD wall, cold is on size and hot finish is always nominal.

Okay, we're on the same page. But what I did not understand in your post (#9) is you stated "Pipe is measured on the OD as it never changes". That is where you lost me. And that doesn't take much sometimes.

LOL, cool.

My favorite metal thing is how everyone always has to mention "billet aircraft aluminum", nice words for chunk of 6061-T6...

But 6061 T6 is so ordinary. You can charge more for billet aircraft aluminum.

I used to be in the mechanical insulation business. When we had to use insulating cement on the head of an insulated tank, for instance, we had to reinforce it with chicken wire. Heck, we couldn't tell the customer that. We sold them hexagonal poultry netting.

Lol.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.