What is the diameter of the exhaust pipe? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, What is the diameter of the exhaust pipe? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Thanks for your help. Got a little lost learning about your pipe and tube ordering, but I think I get ...
    arachnyd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: What is the diameter of the exhaust pipe?

Thanks for your help. Got a little lost learning about your pipe and tube ordering, but I think I get the relation to exhaust!

So I went ahead and ordered 2 1/4" cutouts, which should be 2 1/4" ID because its TUBING. I then bought 2 fittings that are 2 1/8" because they are 2 1/8" ID and 2 1/4" OD. That slip over the 2 1/8" OD, 2" ID Exhaust pipes on the Cadillac. Now I know they may not fit perfectly, but I'm hoping for it. I'm going to go ahead and clamp them for the short term and then try welding themwhen I can get under easier than jackstands.

I'll be sure to keep your tips in mind also next time one of our builders tries to sell us hexagonal poultry netting.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Cool
    You doing electric cut out valves?
    You are going to end up wanting turn downs on those cutouts hehe

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I bet those cut outs are billet aircraft aluminum too lol

Let us know how it works.

Cutouts finally came today. Hoping to get it done this weekend, but its tough to find the time during football season! haha. I don't want to wait until its too cold though. I'm mounting them right behind the mufflers. I'm going to clamp them on at first and then go back and weld them. I did get turn downs also. We'll see how it goes... will report back with pictures and video.

OK so I was having trouble sawing it and tried to take it to a shop. The shop said "We can't weld stainless to non-stainless, and we can't use clamps". This is after they had it two days. What??? stupid. Now I have a giant exhaust leak because I half-sawed off an exhaust pipe.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Take it to another shop.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Call the shop and tell them exactly what you are looking for. If it is off the car take it to a metal fabricator who does stainless steel.

Two months later and I finally have it done... frankly, it sounds incredible. The words of the guy who did it at the performance shop said "It sounds like a pissed off M3".

Its hard to get a good sound recording, but here's what I can tell you. Its not obnoxiously loud, but its loud enough to let those around you know whats up. Its quiet enough that I'm probably going to leave them open all the time. There is no raspiness, rattle, or otherwise common with many V6s and pretty much all I4s. Any raspiness you hear is because its exceeding the limits of my cell phone microphone. While I've driven less than 5 miles with it so far, I've already been told "thats a V6? sounds like a d*mn V8"

So take from it what you will, and watch the video, but I must say I am 100% pleased

andrewhuynh1995 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS
    That sounds absolutely mind blowing! Nice job!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.