Air intake!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Air intake! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi everyone, so my birthday is coming up and i'll be turning 18, My dad asked me if i wanted ...
    andrewhuynh1995 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS

Air intake!

Hi everyone, so my birthday is coming up and i'll be turning 18, My dad asked me if i wanted something for my car for my birthday and i said yes, and i've been looking around for about a month at Air intakes and studying a lot about them, but i want to see what people say about what they do how the affect the car. I have a 2009 Cadillac CTS. Would it be worth it for me to get one? I've been looing at Spectre 9912W i believe that's the item number.

Heres a link :
    http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...old-air-intake

I'm wondering if it's something worth doing and what i'll expect to get out of it? I read around and people say higher mpg, but others also say it doesn't improve your mpg, so i'm confused about it.
    What air intakes do you guys recommend?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bronik90 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe - 3.6l DI AWD
    Did your dad ask if you wanted to use the search function? If you've studied as much as you claim, I highly doubt you'd start this thread. Moving on.

I have an Injen CAI, and I have zero complaints. Bought it because the filter sits low and away from the engine, close to my driver side fog light, in hopes it pulls in slightly cooler air. Others pull air from where your stock box exists, and I don't see how that can be very beneficial.

They sound wicked and make a lot of noise, and some may agree that's all they're good for. Keep in mind, tuning your car is critical in helping make the most of other mods (maybe ask dad for that first). As for MPG, I can't claim to have noticed a difference. My coupe is at WOT most of the time, so my mileage will always be awful.

Re: Air intake!

I had used the search feature and only found one other thread. It was a bunch babbling and some trolling, so i couldn't really take anything from the posts. Thanks for your input. Over exaggeration is something that a lot of people tend to use also. I didn't literally sit here for a month and continuously stare at my computer screen researching about CAIs. I did it on and off as i saw fit.

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

I my honest opinion don't get any kind of CAI. Cadillac did a wonderful job of silencing or tuning out annoying engine noise from the front of the car and a CAI will just create a racket from the engine bay. I realize a lot of people like that throaty sound of a CAI and I am not knocking them but, I feel our Cadillac's are to nice to just slap a crummy CAI on. IMO leave CAI and fart cans for the Import/Rice crowd, this car is just to good to throw crummy parts on.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhuynh1995 View Post
    Hi everyone, so my birthday is coming up and i'll be turning 18, My dad asked me if i wanted something for my car for my birthday and i said yes, and i've been looking around for about a month at Air intakes and studying a lot about them, but i want to see what people say about what they do how the affect the car. I have a 2009 Cadillac CTS. Would it be worth it for me to get one? I've been looing at Spectre 9912W i believe that's the item number.

Heres a link :
    http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...old-air-intake

I'm wondering if it's something worth doing and what i'll expect to get out of it? I read around and people say higher mpg, but others also say it doesn't improve your mpg, so i'm confused about it.
    What air intakes do you guys recommend?

----------

I agree that tuning is probably the best option with our cars.

My car actually feels really fast stock, probably due to RWD and six speed manual or possibly the lower ratio rear end. I actually haven't even considered any performance mods however I did experiment with my stock exhaust a little bit (just wanted a little more exhaust note), lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by bronik90 View Post
    Did your dad ask if you wanted to use the search function? If you've studied as much as you claim, I highly doubt you'd start this thread. Moving on.

I have an Injen CAI, and I have zero complaints. Bought it because the filter sits low and away from the engine, close to my driver side fog light, in hopes it pulls in slightly cooler air. Others pull air from where your stock box exists, and I don't see how that can be very beneficial.

They sound wicked and make a lot of noise, and some may agree that's all they're good for. Keep in mind, tuning your car is critical in helping make the most of other mods (maybe ask dad for that first). As for MPG, I can't claim to have noticed a difference. My coupe is at WOT most of the time, so my mileage will always be awful.

ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    If your looking for sound get the cia or have pops get some mufflers. But you wont notice any gains from either. If u want more power do the intake spacer, or hi flow catalytic converters. Or both lol

ajazolino is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS
    Lol. Oh boy some of the replies are fun.

The kid is 18, I promise you he isn't interested in a low noise car. Promise.

If you want a CAI I would get the volant, it's a great one and it has a scoop that brings air in from down below. I have it on mine. And as far as power, eh, it will seem a little bit faster to you, but to really get performance gains you have to combine mods, such as CAI, exhaust, tune, spacer, whatever, no one mod by itself will give you a ton of power.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

If you just want for it sound beefier just remove the air box and remove the silencer. It does nothing for mpg or mph but it does make the car sound meaner especially at wot. Just look on this page for instructions and photos. It's a 20 minute job and probably allow you to accomplish your goal. Then let your dad buy you some new wheels.

Thank you for your input, unlike other people who just want to talk crap on a 18 year old who just wants information. I will look into the volant!

----------

I am hoping to buy new wheels by myself sometime in the next few months! Thank you for your input though!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.