Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2010 CTS 3.6 engine oil air vapor catch can install

14K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  SC2150 
#1 · (Edited)
Just purchased a 2010 CTS Sportwagon AWD Premium with 8000 miles from an elderly lady that found the car too confusing. After viewing all the negative comments related to valve coking of direct injection engines, I decided to install an oil vapor catch can to prevent that issue. Trying to research the best catch can placement in the tight engine compartment and where to tap the PCV valve flow was lacking in references. As a result, I decided to offer my instal info here to help others with the same intent. I placed the catch can on a bolt available on the passenger side of the radiator. An alternate location was a cavity to the right rear of the engine. There are several PCV hoses on the 3.6, but the proper one to run the hose from the catch can is a tube FROM the PCV to the intake sleeve that runs under the noise baffle cover above the left side of the engine. It is a rubber shielded plastic tube that will have to be cut in two places to attach the "in" & out" small inside diameter hoses. For the 2010 engine, with my catch can placement, you will need about 7 feet of hose to cover the to and from routing. Several companies offer catch cans of different widths and lengths. Be careful and measure the available mounting space before ordering, as my radiator position choice space is limited. No problem with baffle cover interference or hood closing. Install, once location decision was made, was one hour. Since this website won't accept my attachments, here is a site to refer to pictures of my install: http://s34.photobucket.com/user/GBambo/library/2010 Cad CTS AWD Sportwagon Premium?sort=9&page=1

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
the proper one to run the hose from the catch can is a tube FROM the PCV to the intake sleeve that runs under the noise baffle cover above the left side of the engine.
You have placed the Catch Can in the "Clean Air Tube". It is my understanding the Catch Can needs to be in the "Dirty Air Tube".

I agree with you that none of the post have done this MOD justice.

SC2150, anyone, jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: GM has produced thousands of these engines over many years. Has anyone ever stopped to ask why, if this is such a problem, they have never put in a catch can? Or maybe we are just smarter then the GM engine engineers.

#7 ·
That's an air compressor water separator....add another inline after it and see it fill with oil as well.

They let more through than they can catch when used on an engine, but work pretty well on an air compressor. Far better than nothing though as you are catching some of the oil.

:thumbsup:

#8 · (Edited)
That's an air compressor water separator....add another inline after it and see it fill with oil as well.

They let more through than they can catch when used on an engine, but work pretty well on an air compressor. Far better than nothing though as you are catching some of the oil.
That would be a cool test but I noticed there is some flow restriction and adding another may limit air flow. Have you tried this same test with yours? What was the result? Maybe you should put one of these behind yours and see what you get. They're cheep.

EDIT: I'm in no way recommending this as a solution (yet). Just an experiment.

#10 ·
Mistercoffee,
No, to date I haven't made the change. I am getting conflicting or confusing info from a Cadillac mechanic on which is the "clean" and which is the "dirty" hose line. As soon as I get that clarified, I'll post my finding and possibly have to make a install correction.

#18 · (Edited)
I removed the hose along with the PCV valve from the valve cover and the fitting from the intake, took it in the house, and yes, heat gunned it. The hose was very hard from years of heat and, as you can see in the photo, one end broke.

I put the new hose on the PVC Valve and the intake fitting which is a better looking install but functions no better then cutting the hose..

----------

[/COLOR]
Also,

Make sure you remove the orfice barb and do the drill mod. All 2013's have the larger holes now from the factory.
I Did not know that! I assume you refer to the orifice pictured here. Problem is the Service Manual does not say where it is located. Where is MOD documented?

#19 ·
It is in the rear of the passenger side valve cover where the line from the top of the intake manifold snapped on. Grab it with a plyers at the base, twist and pull up and it pops right out. Then drill to 7/64" both the single top and 2 bottom holes, clean debris and seat back in fully and your good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.