[DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 1, GETTING STARTED) - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 1, GETTING STARTED) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Thanks for the info. Re-read my post. Not sure why I added a "4" in there! That'd be my AWD ...
    CrashGuy2016 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe 3.6, Sport and Luxury 1&2 / 2012 CTS Wagon

Re: [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 1, GETTING STARTED)

Thanks for the info. Re-read my post. Not sure why I added a "4" in there! That'd be my AWD Wagon, and I want to do this on the Coupe.

If you did a 2012 Coupe, it is also a 2nd Gen CTS. Mine is also RWD.

Can I ask whose rotors / source?

Thanks!

is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD
    Give me your email so I can send you my parts list

I sent you a pm with my email.

Thanks.

Slim taking the plunge.. Slowly...

I appreciate the input so far.

I've ordered one front caliper and one rotor for test fitting.

I've 18" snows on rims, but 19" stock rims.

The clearance on the 19's won't be a problem based on the 8" clearance (x2 or about 16 in on the inside of the plus about 1/2 for the larger fronts).

The 18's are a question mark.

Will update as I go.

StEvO_1222 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4 3.6L Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by CrashGuy2016 View Post
    Slim taking the plunge.. Slowly...

I appreciate the input so far.

I've ordered one front caliper and one rotor for test fitting.

I've 18" snows on rims, but 19" stock rims.

The clearance on the 19's won't be a problem based on the 8" clearance (x2 or about 16 in on the inside of the plus about 1/2 for the larger fronts).

The 18's are a question mark.

Will update as I go.
    You might need spacers and longer wheel studs to accommodate the OEM 19" wheels (depending on which style you have).
    I test fit the V calipers on my OEM 19" wheels and they come in contact with the wheel before it is fully seated on the hub.
    I purchased a set of 11mm spacers but have yet to test fit them on the car (gonna wait till the warm weather hits).
    I have an AWD car so it may be different on the RWD models.

Thanks for the input. I have one caliper and rotor coming to test fit. I will advise.

If the warmer weather holds over the next few days / weekend I will get a test fit. I picked up a set of 5mm spacers on a wing and a prayer to see of a) I need them on the RWD, and b) if it is enough.

I also measure the inner circumference on my 18" winter rims, and have about 17.9" of clearance. The picture on JD Motorsports show 16" for the rear. Since the rotors for the front are .2" larger, I figured I needed > 16.4" plus some wiggle room.

Have more than wiggle room.....

So far both parts lists - the one posted, and one sent, have been right on....

UPDATE - It was a bit warmer......

So I test-fit the front. For the stock 19" rims I will need 10mm spacers. I grabbed some 5mm off eBay for the test fit. Double them up for a 10mm space yields a comfortable margin.

Given this only gives 3.5 turns of the wheel nuts to snug, I will want more bite.

Anyone have a good source / spec for 10mm longer studs? I SHOULD be able to press in / Press out or brass bar hammer them out. I may opt for replacement wheel bearings and change the studs on those and swap them in when I change the backing plates.

Using 10mm spacers I will loose the hub-pilot / centering though. I had this on my snows in the first place. I was wondering about some kind of centering piece that goes INSIDE the end of the bearing hub?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!

UPDATE - It was a bit warmer......

So I test-fit the front. For the stock 19" rims I will need 10mm spacers. I grabbed some 5mm off eBay for the test fit. Double them up for a 10mm space yields a comfortable margin.

Given this only gives 3.5 turns of the wheel nuts to snug, I will want more bite.

Anyone have a good source / spec for 10mm longer studs? I SHOULD be able to press in / Press out or brass bar hammer them out. I may opt for replacement wheel bearings and change the studs on those and swap them in when I change the backing plates.

Using 10mm spacers I will loose the hub-pilot / centering though. I had this on my snows in the first place. I was wondering about some kind of centering piece that goes INSIDE the end of the bearing hub?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!
    http://weaponxmotorsports.myshopify....-wheel-spacers

leroy_ctscoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

Great write up.. Looks awesome.

z34rick is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6L

Great write up!
    From what I see, this is a direct bolt-in upgrade. The challenge is in rounding up the parts.

I have two questions:
    1) What is the center to center measurement between the two mounting holes on the CTS-V calipers?
    2) Why would you not use aftermarket rotors that are cross-drilled and slotted (And, around $100/pr?)

The calipers bolt on in place of the caliper bracket for the non-fixed calipers. No drilling or other mods.

The backing plate needs to be changed as the V rotors a bit bigger than even the HD brakes my Coupe has.

Unlike the others, I'm keeping my stock 19" rims (and 18" snow tire rims).

The only hurdle I'm overcoming is the Brembo caliper is thicker due to its "fixed" nature.

Without wheel spacers you can't do it. The stock rims won't clear the caliper.

I've got new, 10mm longer studs pressed into the new hubs. Also have 12mm spacers coming.

I had a local machine shop make "hub extenders" that pressed into the end of the hub (not doable on an AWD with the ones I had made) to keep the hub centric fit. While they make these for BMW I never found them for Cadillac.

All the parts were easy to find on amazon and GM parts direct.

I did not go for cross drilled vented on them at this time.

StEvO_1222 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4 3.6L Sport Wagon

I had a local machine shop make "hub extenders" that pressed into the end of the hub (not doable on an AWD with the ones I had made) to keep the hub centric fit. While they make these for BMW I never found them for Cadillac.
    Can you elaborate on your "hub extenders" or do you have a picture?
    Are the spacers you're using flat? Or do they have the hub-centric lip incorporated?
    I purchased the Weapon X 11mm spacers (haven't installed them yet). But I was under the impression that no other hardware would be necessary to mount and clearance everything.
    kgrhqf_oce_yo_44w8bp_juf58tq_60_59_1024x1024.jpg

****UPDATE *****

If you are considering this, JUST DO IT! I miss my Camaro SS a little bit less today....... I have completed the front change over to the Brembo 6-piston fixed caliper ala CTS-V.

The stopping power difference is VERY noticeable. I will be doing the rears in a few weeks.

I have the 19" Performance package wheels on my RWD 2011 CTS Coupe. I also have 18" Winter rims with snows. I have retained the stock wheels and the snows fit around the calipers no problem using 12mm spacers.

I will add a few things to the parts list as previously posted here:

Dorman 610428 wheel studs. These are about 10mm longer than stock. I bought them at http://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca for < $25 including tax and shipping. Beware, some websites will want to gouge you $4-$5 for each stud!

Motorsports Tech wheel spacers. http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html - I ordered 2 x 12mm, hub-centric, and my order reads:

2 Spacer - Hub & Wheel Centric 5x120 66.95 to 66.95, 12mm Thick 45.00ea

These allow me to retain the hub-centric fit of the stock 19" rims. I didn't need the hub extenders I had machined after all, since going 12mm allows for enough material past the end of the hub for the machinist to make a new flange.

I went with the Centric performance rotors (NOT cross-drilled or slotted). I used the Hawk ceramic pads as well.

The other thing I opted for was two new hubs. PartSource here had a 30% off sale on all Moog parts. They were about $200ea. It was easier to install the new studs on a press vs. me hammering them out and hammering in or pulling in with wheel nuts etc......

I figured since I need to pull the hubs off to change the backing plates (and studs) I would just replace them even though mine only have 45,000 km on them. This area of the car always gets a lot of corrosion in them and "glues" the hubs in. Whenever I have changed hubs on any vehicle I have had, I put a light coating of anti seize in the hole, then wipe to make sure it is a thin coat, then torque to spec.

I would also recommend having one or two rotor bolts on hand. The torn heads on these like to strip and it makes for an easier assembly of the wheel and spacer and rotor and pads if you have the rotor secured.

You will likely have to do some adjustment of the brake lines out of the box i.e. how much is on either side of the hold-down clamp. Also, the brake line adapters in the separate parts bag are needed for the front hoses.

All in all an easy install. The longest part was banging out the old hubs!!!

I will update once the rears are done. From the measurements I did I don't think I will need spacers, and if I do, likely no more than the 5mm I have on hand. The "fun" part will once again be hammering out the bearings! If anyone has an easy way, let me know!

****UPDATE *****

If you are considering this, JUST DO IT! I miss my Camaro SS a little bit less today....... I have completed the front change over to the Brembo 6-piston fixed caliper ala CTS-V.

The stopping power difference is VERY noticeable. I will be doing the rears in a few weeks.

I have the 19" Performance package wheels on my RWD 2011 CTS Coupe. I also have 18" Winter rims with snows. I have retained the stock wheels and the snows fit around the calipers no problem using 12mm spacers.

I will add a few things to the parts list as previously posted here:

Dorman 610428 wheel studs. These are about 10mm longer than stock. I bought them at http://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca for < $25 including tax and shipping. Beware, some websites will want to gouge you $4-$5 for each stud!

Motorsports Tech wheel spacers. http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html - I ordered 2 x 12mm, hub-centric, and my order reads:

2 Spacer - Hub & Wheel Centric 5x120 66.95 to 66.95, 12mm Thick 45.00ea

These allow me to retain the hub-centric fit of the stock 19" rims. I didn't need the hub extenders I had machined after all, since going 12mm allows for enough material past the end of the hub for the machinist to make a new flange.

I went with the Centric performance rotors (NOT cross-drilled or slotted). I used the Hawk ceramic pads as well.

The other thing I opted for was two new hubs. PartSource here had a 30% off sale on all Moog parts. They were about $200ea. It was easier to install the new studs on a press vs. me hammering them out and hammering in or pulling in with wheel nuts etc......

I figured since I need to pull the hubs off to change the backing plates (and studs) I would just replace them even though mine only have 45,000 km on them. This area of the car always gets a lot of corrosion in them and "glues" the hubs in. Whenever I have changed hubs on any vehicle I have had, I put a light coating of anti seize in the hole, then wipe to make sure it is a thin coat, then torque to spec.

I would also recommend having one or two rotor bolts on hand. The torn heads on these like to strip and it makes for an easier assembly of the wheel and spacer and rotor and pads if you have the rotor secured.

You will likely have to do some adjustment of the brake lines out of the box i.e. how much is on either side of the hold-down clamp. Also, the brake line adapters in the separate parts bag are needed for the front hoses.

All in all an easy install. The longest part was banging out the old hubs!!!

I will update once the rears are done. From the measurements I did I don't think I will need spacers, and if I do, likely no more than the 5mm I have on hand. The "fun" part will once again be hammering out the bearings! If anyone has an easy way, let me know!
    Pics??? Also I don't know the offset for the stock 19's but my guess is if you did 12mm spacers for the front and 5mm rear it may look funny with the fronts sticking out more than the rears.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.