[DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 1, GETTING STARTED) - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 1, GETTING STARTED) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; hmmm I just did a side-by-side comparison of the silver and yellow and the yellow looks bigger. Even the dimensions ...
    is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD

Re: [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 1, GETTING STARTED)

hmmm I just did a side-by-side comparison of the silver and yellow and the yellow looks bigger. Even the dimensions are different

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by is250sp View Post
    hmmm I just did a side-by-side comparison of the silver and yellow and the yellow looks bigger. Even the dimensions are different
    I would be very surprised if that is true. I did a lot of research and could not confirm it but I thought the pistons were different sizes in the colors. Tried searching through the part numbers for the piston kits but my hair started smoking so I gave up.

Porsche also uses color to designate their calipers with red being the top and only on the top models. The brake specs are the same. 996 C2's got black calipers and C4's got silver calipers. GT3 and Turbo got red calipers.

Ok I will take your word that the silver is the same as the yellow. If it doesn't fit you owe me a brand new car lol.

Ok I will take your word that the silver is the same as the yellow. If it doesn't fit you owe me a brand new car lol.
    Cool! The Silver V calipers will work. The Chevrolet may as well but I don't know.

What will you do to the calipers. Surely not leave the "Chevrolet" on them. With the Silver ones you can let them be if you wish. Painting is a hassle but sometimes worth it..

I am still doing research to see if the Camaro ones will fit, but in either case I am sanding them down, use brembo stickers, and paint them yellow.

I am still doing research to see if the Camaro ones will fit, but in either case I am sanding them down, use brembo stickers, and paint them yellow.
    What paint system will you use?
    What about the front?

I was going to use your diy to paint them, unless you don't recommend that?

I was going to use your diy to paint them, unless you don't recommend that?
    I had problems with the VHT system. On both color and clear coat the directions say to apply two light coats followed by one medium wet coat, ten minutes between coats and all coats must be done within one hour. Else you must wait seven days.

So, you have to put on color coats, put on the stickers, then coats of clear, all within one hour, then bake at 200. The paint does dry to the touch very fast.

I had problems with the later coats, the clear, "crinkling" the paint already applied. When that happens you have to strip and start over.

I got it done but it was not fun. A call to VHT was not helpful.

On your parts list you have the rear rotors as 177-1105. When you search on that on amazon that's for the fronts. When I did a search on rockauto, the rears are 177-1051 http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-177-10...words=177-1051

Did you put the 1-piece front on the rear?

On your parts list you have the rear rotors as 177-1105. When you search on that on amazon that's for the fronts. When I did a search on rockauto, the rears are 177-1051 http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-177-10...words=177-1051

Did you put the 1-piece front on the rear?

Here is the part number I used and the one pictured in the MOD. I got them from AutoAnything but these are the same part number and cost less. I did paint the edge silver to closer match the front.
    http://www.amazon.com/Centric-Parts-.../dp/B008CRLGJM

The numbers listed in the MOD are the OEM Brembo parts because thats what the MOD was about. However, I did note that there were a lot of other rotors that could be used.

Hello all. Time, and experience changes everything, including this MOD. My goal was to put the OEM CTS-V Brembo brakes on my CTS, and I did, with the exception of the rear rotor which in Centric, (the one on the parts list in OEM), lines and pads.

And now I cannot even edit the MOD for updates.

Given what I have learned in the past 6 months, mostly through your comments, I should have broadened my view a little and also looked at the Camaro SS Brembo parts as well. They appear to be the same parts and less expensive although I cannot verify this. A little Yellow or Red paint to cover the "Chevrolet" and they should look the same as well. One of you will have to step up and try it. is250sp may be doing that as we speak.

If you shop for the best deal on calipers and rotors all the other parts on the list are golden.

----------

There is a part number error in the list (thank you is250sp). The number listed for the rear rotor is if fact the one piece front rotor. If you look on Amazon and many other sites the photo shown with this number is a rear rotor. Tonkin says it is the front and rear rotor.

I cannot edit the list and right now I'm not sure what the number is for the OEM CTS-V rotor so hopefully anyone looking at doing the MOD will read this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercoffee2 View Post
    Keep in mind you can get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-172-23...ype=automotive

for a little more and it will fit the CTS and doesn't have "Chevrolet" on it.
    When I did a search for 172-2308 on rockauto, it say this part is for the 04-07 CTS-V. How do you know it fits on an 09+ V?

Yes, that is correct. I'm sorry. I searched 2010 CTS-V and it came up.

I worked for weeks to locate, purchase, test install and write up the install of Brembo brakes using Yellow rear calipers numbers 172-2523 and 172-2524. If you want to use others, order and test them, and let us know how it goes.

Edit: From my notes, RockAuto, front, one side.

Yellow ACDelco 172.2523, $272
    Silver ACDelco 172-2486, $281
    Red ACDekco 172-2580, $1023

CrashGuy2016 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe 3.6, Sport and Luxury 1&2 / 2012 CTS Wagon

I note there has been no activity on this since Sept 2013, but was wondering if you are still happy with this set up?
    I have been scouring your parts list and am looking to do this on my 2011 CTS Coupe. I know you haven't tried it on a CTS4, but any reason to believe this won't work?

Any assistance or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

As far as I can tell from this forum only myself and Mistercoffee has performed this upgrade. I don't track my car so I can't say anything performance wise but so far I love it. My coupe was already lowered with aftermarket rims so I was already getting a lot of looks, but adding the Brembo's with drill-slotted rotors brings neckbreaking to a whole new level. If the CTS4 uses the same rotors and calipers as the RWD then it should fit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.