Cadillac Owners Forum banner

[DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS - part numbers, pics, etc

125K views 186 replies 41 participants last post by  redheadedrod 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
PLEASE READ!
Now that I have completed the MOD there are things I would change if I could. First, I would have ALL the parts before starting (I did not). Second, I would do the install in “BLEED” order:
  • Right Rear
  • Left Rear
  • Right Front
  • Left Front
This way, when you’re done with the install, you bleed it and you’re done. So read all the parts here and then do the install in the order listed above.

After asking many questions concerning the possibility of putting 2009-2012 CTS-V Brembo brakes on the 2008-2012 CTS and getting answers from “it can’t be done” to “it may work” I decided to give it a try. I got my courage from the fact that JDP Motorsports sells a kit using the same parts. So here it is.
I had to break this up into three parts because the system will only allow 15 photos. I have way more then that.
  • Part 1, GETTING STARTED,
  • Part 2, DISASSEMBLY (FRONT)
  • Part 3, INSTALL NEW PARTS (FRONT)
  • Part 4, DISASSEMBLY & INSTALL NEW PARTS (REAR)
    BLEEDING BRAKES AND BED IN THE NEW PADS

[DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 1, GETTING STARTED)

Disclaimer: This Mod is being performed on my 2008 CTS RWD w/FE2 option and 19” CTS-V wheels. I will not address the CTS 4 though I have found no reason to believe it will not work on any 2008 – 2012 CTS with 18” wheels. So, take some time to measure your wheels for clearance.
Here is a link to JDP Motorsport that may help.

http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/media...fb8d27136e95/c/t/ctsv_specs_copy.jpg~original

The parts list:
Parts cost change almost daily so this is as close as I could get. I can say the pare numbers are the ones I used. As you can see, the rotors account for 1/3 of the total cost. There are hundreds of rotors available for the CTS-V. If the OEM Brembo rotors listed are not to your liking then any rotor made for the 2009 – 2012 CTS-V should work and save you $$$.

My calipers started life Yellow with V logos but thanks to the magic of VHT Red and Clear Caliper paint and some Brembo Logos they are now Red. The Yellow was beautiful but I didn’t want to use the V logo. The directions on the VHT can are not clear with respect to curing the paint. Here is what I did:

READ THE CAN! I got much of the following via phone with VHT.

1. Sand the flat area of the V logo with 1200 wet paper. If you are going back with same color then do not sand more then that area.

2. Sand or Red Scotch Brite Pad (VHT recommendation) the whole caliper, it comes with the input hole plugged with a blue stopper so it is waterproof.

3. Use hair dyer or let it set overnight.

4. Mask off the area not to be painted. In my case that was the bleeders, inlet hole, pistons and the area where the ends of the pads contact. I used Blue painters tape for masking, tested a sample in advance, and it had no problem throughout the process.

5. If keeping the Yellow, mask all but the flat surface where the V logo is. Go to the edge so if the paint does not match exactly it won't mater so mush. You can use printer paper for the large areas.

6. Paint, two light coats followed by one wet coat. Wait 10 min. after each coat.

7. As soon as it’s dry to the touch, 20 min, very carefully apply the logos. Pressed on the letters and try not to stick down the backing tape to much. Remove the backing tape and ensure the letters are flat.

8. If you are keeping Yellow remove all the masking. The clear will help cover the ledge created by the tape.

9. Apply two coats of VHT clear.

10. Number 6 thru 8 must be done within one hour.

11. Now, send your wife shopping while you hang them in the oven at 200 degrees for one hour.

It's paint. The worst that could happen is you get new logos and start over.

I got the stickers here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230778598205...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Tools:

• Jack
  • Jack Stand
  • Shop Rags
  • Hand Ceaner
  • More Shop Rags
  • Chock blocks
  • T27 Torx (Caliper Screw)
  • 10mm Socket (Speed Sensor)
  • 11mm Box Wrench (Small, for bleeder valve)
  • 12mm Socket (Banjo Bolt) *
  • 1/2 in Socket (Caliper Pin Bolt) *
  • 19mm (3/4”) Socket (Caliper Bolts) *
  • 22mm Socket (Lug Nuts) *
  • 9/16 Open End (Brake Lines)
  • 7/8 Open End (Brake Lines)
  • 3/4 Open End (Brake Lines)
  • Torque Wrench (mine only goes to 150 lb ft)
  • Brake Fluid. 1 liter (see below)
  • Catch Pan for fluid spells
* These Sockets must fit drive size of your torque wrench.

Torque Specs:

(2011 CTS-V Service Manual)
  • Wheel Lug Nuts 140 lb ft
  • Front Hub Bolts 100 lb ft
  • Front Caliper Bolts 166 lb ft
  • Front Caliper Guide Pin Bolt 48 lb ft
  • Rear Hub Bolts 100 lb ft
  • Rear Caliper Bolts 96 lb ft
  • Rear Caliper Guide Pin Bolt 20 lb ft
  • Brake Hose Banjo Bolt 36 lb ft

These are the parts needed for the front brakes:

And the Rear brakes. New bolts required are in parts list but not shown here:

B]The Goodridge brake lines:[/B]

NEXT – PART 2, DISASSEMBLY – When you have all the parts and tools together, go to part 2.

See less See more
#87 ·
Re: [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 3, INSTALL NEW PARTS, FRONT)

Starting to feel a bit better about the possibility of this working on the AWD models.
Just spoke with my brother who is a automotive mechanical engineer and he seems to think there will be no dangerous problems with the install. Assuming there are no clearance or mounting issues.
Only thing left is to test fit the parts and see what happens.
Now I just need to get my hands on a torque wrench that goes up to 166 ft/lbs. Any thoughts on where to get or rent one?

#88 ·

Starting to feel a bit better about the possibility of this working on the AWD models.
Just spoke with my brother who is a automotive mechanical engineer and he seems to think there will be no dangerous problems with the install. Assuming there are no clearance or mounting issues.
Only thing left is to test fit the parts and see what happens.
Now I just need to get my hands on a torque wrench that goes up to 166 ft/lbs. Any thoughts on where to get or rent one?
I got a loaner 36mm (rear hub) from Auto Zone, don't know what other tools they loan.

#89 ·

Install wheel (140 lb ft):Wheel with new caliper:

Just curious why you tightened the wheels down with that torque setting. The manual calls for 100 lb ft of torque for the wheel nuts. The conversion for this is 140 N m of torque, could this just be a typo?

Been reading this thread because I'm thinking of doing the conversion myself to offset the extra load on my OEM brakes and longer stopping distances after installing larger rims on the car.

#92 ·

Just curious why you tightened the wheels down with that torque setting. The manual calls for 100 lb ft of torque for the wheel nuts. The conversion for this is 140 N m of torque, could this just be a typo?

Been reading this thread because I'm thinking of doing the conversion myself to offset the extra load on my OEM brakes and longer stopping distances after installing larger rims on the car.
Below is from the ALLDATA 2011 CTS-V manual. I also have the hard copy manuals for the 2008 CTS and the spec is the same.

Attachments

#91 ·

Test fit the brakes today on the CTS4. Everything went quite well. The calipers and rotors fit perfectly.
The Goodridge brake lines for the CTS-V however, are not long enough. Apparently Goodridge makes a stainless kit for the CTS4 (part # 15018). So I will return the CTS-V lines and go for the CTS4 lines.
The only other hiccup is the clearance of my OEM 19" wheels. They will require about 8-10mm spacers in order to work with my wheels.

#93 ·

Test fit the brakes today on the CTS4. Everything went quite well. The calipers and rotors fit perfectly.
The Goodridge brake lines for the CTS-V however, are not long enough. Apparently Goodridge makes a stainless kit for the CTS4 (part # 15018). So I will return the CTS-V lines and go for the CTS4 lines.
The only other hiccup is the clearance of my OEM 19" wheels. They will require about 8-10mm spacers in order to work with my wheels.
Wow, are you sure, 8-10mm is a lot. Are your wheels 18"? In the photo it looks like a smaller spacer would work but maybe you did not have them tightened. If you have to go 8-10mm you will have to replace the studs with longer ones. On a positive note, the 11mm studs from D3 set the tires out and look great. They also come with new studs. I have no idea if they are recommended for AWD.

Also, did the AWD not have a splash guard behind the rotor?

#100 ·
Re: [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 1, GETTING STARTED)

I note there has been no activity on this since Sept 2013, but was wondering if you are still happy with this set up?
I have been scouring your parts list and am looking to do this on my 2011 CTS Coupe. I know you haven't tried it on a CTS4, but any reason to believe this won't work?

Any assistance or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#101 ·

As far as I can tell from this forum only myself and Mistercoffee has performed this upgrade. I don't track my car so I can't say anything performance wise but so far I love it. My coupe was already lowered with aftermarket rims so I was already getting a lot of looks, but adding the Brembo's with drill-slotted rotors brings neckbreaking to a whole new level. If the CTS4 uses the same rotors and calipers as the RWD then it should fit.

#102 ·

Thanks for the info. Re-read my post. Not sure why I added a "4" in there! That'd be my AWD Wagon, and I want to do this on the Coupe.

If you did a 2012 Coupe, it is also a 2nd Gen CTS. Mine is also RWD.

Can I ask whose rotors / source?

Thanks!

#105 ·
Slim taking the plunge.. Slowly...

I appreciate the input so far.

I've ordered one front caliper and one rotor for test fitting.

I've 18" snows on rims, but 19" stock rims.

The clearance on the 19's won't be a problem based on the 8" clearance (x2 or about 16 in on the inside of the plus about 1/2 for the larger fronts).

The 18's are a question mark.

Will update as I go.

#106 ·

You might need spacers and longer wheel studs to accommodate the OEM 19" wheels (depending on which style you have).
I test fit the V calipers on my OEM 19" wheels and they come in contact with the wheel before it is fully seated on the hub.
I purchased a set of 11mm spacers but have yet to test fit them on the car (gonna wait till the warm weather hits).
I have an AWD car so it may be different on the RWD models.

#108 ·

If the warmer weather holds over the next few days / weekend I will get a test fit. I picked up a set of 5mm spacers on a wing and a prayer to see of a) I need them on the RWD, and b) if it is enough.

I also measure the inner circumference on my 18" winter rims, and have about 17.9" of clearance. The picture on JD Motorsports show 16" for the rear. Since the rotors for the front are .2" larger, I figured I needed > 16.4" plus some wiggle room.

Have more than wiggle room.....

So far both parts lists - the one posted, and one sent, have been right on....

#109 ·

UPDATE - It was a bit warmer......

So I test-fit the front. For the stock 19" rims I will need 10mm spacers. I grabbed some 5mm off eBay for the test fit. Double them up for a 10mm space yields a comfortable margin.

Given this only gives 3.5 turns of the wheel nuts to snug, I will want more bite.

Anyone have a good source / spec for 10mm longer studs? I SHOULD be able to press in / Press out or brass bar hammer them out. I may opt for replacement wheel bearings and change the studs on those and swap them in when I change the backing plates.

Using 10mm spacers I will loose the hub-pilot / centering though. I had this on my snows in the first place. I was wondering about some kind of centering piece that goes INSIDE the end of the bearing hub?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!

#110 ·
UPDATE - It was a bit warmer......

So I test-fit the front. For the stock 19" rims I will need 10mm spacers. I grabbed some 5mm off eBay for the test fit. Double them up for a 10mm space yields a comfortable margin.

Given this only gives 3.5 turns of the wheel nuts to snug, I will want more bite.

Anyone have a good source / spec for 10mm longer studs? I SHOULD be able to press in / Press out or brass bar hammer them out. I may opt for replacement wheel bearings and change the studs on those and swap them in when I change the backing plates.

Using 10mm spacers I will loose the hub-pilot / centering though. I had this on my snows in the first place. I was wondering about some kind of centering piece that goes INSIDE the end of the bearing hub?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!
http://weaponxmotorsports.myshopify...sion/products/adaptec-speedware-wheel-spacers

#112 ·

Great write up!
From what I see, this is a direct bolt-in upgrade. The challenge is in rounding up the parts.

I have two questions:
1) What is the center to center measurement between the two mounting holes on the CTS-V calipers?
2) Why would you not use aftermarket rotors that are cross-drilled and slotted (And, around $100/pr?)

#113 ·
The calipers bolt on in place of the caliper bracket for the non-fixed calipers. No drilling or other mods.

The backing plate needs to be changed as the V rotors a bit bigger than even the HD brakes my Coupe has.

Unlike the others, I'm keeping my stock 19" rims (and 18" snow tire rims).

The only hurdle I'm overcoming is the Brembo caliper is thicker due to its "fixed" nature.

Without wheel spacers you can't do it. The stock rims won't clear the caliper.

I've got new, 10mm longer studs pressed into the new hubs. Also have 12mm spacers coming.

I had a local machine shop make "hub extenders" that pressed into the end of the hub (not doable on an AWD with the ones I had made) to keep the hub centric fit. While they make these for BMW I never found them for Cadillac.

All the parts were easy to find on amazon and GM parts direct.

I did not go for cross drilled vented on them at this time.

#114 ·

I had a local machine shop make "hub extenders" that pressed into the end of the hub (not doable on an AWD with the ones I had made) to keep the hub centric fit. While they make these for BMW I never found them for Cadillac.
Can you elaborate on your "hub extenders" or do you have a picture?
Are the spacers you're using flat? Or do they have the hub-centric lip incorporated?
I purchased the Weapon X 11mm spacers (haven't installed them yet). But I was under the impression that no other hardware would be necessary to mount and clearance everything.
Fastener Product Metalworking hand tool Screw Nut

#115 ·

****UPDATE *****

If you are considering this, JUST DO IT! I miss my Camaro SS a little bit less today....... I have completed the front change over to the Brembo 6-piston fixed caliper ala CTS-V.

The stopping power difference is VERY noticeable. I will be doing the rears in a few weeks.

I have the 19" Performance package wheels on my RWD 2011 CTS Coupe. I also have 18" Winter rims with snows. I have retained the stock wheels and the snows fit around the calipers no problem using 12mm spacers.

I will add a few things to the parts list as previously posted here:

Dorman 610428 wheel studs. These are about 10mm longer than stock. I bought them at http://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca for < $25 including tax and shipping. Beware, some websites will want to gouge you $4-$5 for each stud!

Motorsports Tech wheel spacers. http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html - I ordered 2 x 12mm, hub-centric, and my order reads:

2 Spacer - Hub & Wheel Centric 5x120 66.95 to 66.95, 12mm Thick 45.00ea

These allow me to retain the hub-centric fit of the stock 19" rims. I didn't need the hub extenders I had machined after all, since going 12mm allows for enough material past the end of the hub for the machinist to make a new flange.

I went with the Centric performance rotors (NOT cross-drilled or slotted). I used the Hawk ceramic pads as well.

The other thing I opted for was two new hubs. PartSource here had a 30% off sale on all Moog parts. They were about $200ea. It was easier to install the new studs on a press vs. me hammering them out and hammering in or pulling in with wheel nuts etc......

I figured since I need to pull the hubs off to change the backing plates (and studs) I would just replace them even though mine only have 45,000 km on them. This area of the car always gets a lot of corrosion in them and "glues" the hubs in. Whenever I have changed hubs on any vehicle I have had, I put a light coating of anti seize in the hole, then wipe to make sure it is a thin coat, then torque to spec.

I would also recommend having one or two rotor bolts on hand. The torn heads on these like to strip and it makes for an easier assembly of the wheel and spacer and rotor and pads if you have the rotor secured.

You will likely have to do some adjustment of the brake lines out of the box i.e. how much is on either side of the hold-down clamp. Also, the brake line adapters in the separate parts bag are needed for the front hoses.

All in all an easy install. The longest part was banging out the old hubs!!!

I will update once the rears are done. From the measurements I did I don't think I will need spacers, and if I do, likely no more than the 5mm I have on hand. The "fun" part will once again be hammering out the bearings! If anyone has an easy way, let me know!

#116 ·

****UPDATE *****

If you are considering this, JUST DO IT! I miss my Camaro SS a little bit less today....... I have completed the front change over to the Brembo 6-piston fixed caliper ala CTS-V.

The stopping power difference is VERY noticeable. I will be doing the rears in a few weeks.

I have the 19" Performance package wheels on my RWD 2011 CTS Coupe. I also have 18" Winter rims with snows. I have retained the stock wheels and the snows fit around the calipers no problem using 12mm spacers.

I will add a few things to the parts list as previously posted here:

Dorman 610428 wheel studs. These are about 10mm longer than stock. I bought them at http://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca for < $25 including tax and shipping. Beware, some websites will want to gouge you $4-$5 for each stud!

Motorsports Tech wheel spacers. http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html - I ordered 2 x 12mm, hub-centric, and my order reads:

2 Spacer - Hub & Wheel Centric 5x120 66.95 to 66.95, 12mm Thick 45.00ea

These allow me to retain the hub-centric fit of the stock 19" rims. I didn't need the hub extenders I had machined after all, since going 12mm allows for enough material past the end of the hub for the machinist to make a new flange.

I went with the Centric performance rotors (NOT cross-drilled or slotted). I used the Hawk ceramic pads as well.

The other thing I opted for was two new hubs. PartSource here had a 30% off sale on all Moog parts. They were about $200ea. It was easier to install the new studs on a press vs. me hammering them out and hammering in or pulling in with wheel nuts etc......

I figured since I need to pull the hubs off to change the backing plates (and studs) I would just replace them even though mine only have 45,000 km on them. This area of the car always gets a lot of corrosion in them and "glues" the hubs in. Whenever I have changed hubs on any vehicle I have had, I put a light coating of anti seize in the hole, then wipe to make sure it is a thin coat, then torque to spec.

I would also recommend having one or two rotor bolts on hand. The torn heads on these like to strip and it makes for an easier assembly of the wheel and spacer and rotor and pads if you have the rotor secured.

You will likely have to do some adjustment of the brake lines out of the box i.e. how much is on either side of the hold-down clamp. Also, the brake line adapters in the separate parts bag are needed for the front hoses.

All in all an easy install. The longest part was banging out the old hubs!!!

I will update once the rears are done. From the measurements I did I don't think I will need spacers, and if I do, likely no more than the 5mm I have on hand. The "fun" part will once again be hammering out the bearings! If anyone has an easy way, let me know!
Pics??? Also I don't know the offset for the stock 19's but my guess is if you did 12mm spacers for the front and 5mm rear it may look funny with the fronts sticking out more than the rears.

#117 ·

I will take a few and post them. Looking at the car, you really don't even notice the 12mm offset on the front. If I go 5 on the rear, that leave 7mm. I'm not so sure that fine a difference is noticeable without a tape measure.

I am considering two more hubs and a set of studs though, just in case.... let's see how the budget holds out!

G
#118 ·

Just scored a set of take offs V Rotors and Calipers for my 3.6 Wagon. I'm having the Calipers painted now. (Also installing a Procharger as well)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.