Cadillac Owners Forum banner

[DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS - part numbers, pics, etc

125K views 186 replies 41 participants last post by  redheadedrod 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
PLEASE READ!
Now that I have completed the MOD there are things I would change if I could. First, I would have ALL the parts before starting (I did not). Second, I would do the install in “BLEED” order:
  • Right Rear
  • Left Rear
  • Right Front
  • Left Front
This way, when you’re done with the install, you bleed it and you’re done. So read all the parts here and then do the install in the order listed above.

After asking many questions concerning the possibility of putting 2009-2012 CTS-V Brembo brakes on the 2008-2012 CTS and getting answers from “it can’t be done” to “it may work” I decided to give it a try. I got my courage from the fact that JDP Motorsports sells a kit using the same parts. So here it is.
I had to break this up into three parts because the system will only allow 15 photos. I have way more then that.
  • Part 1, GETTING STARTED,
  • Part 2, DISASSEMBLY (FRONT)
  • Part 3, INSTALL NEW PARTS (FRONT)
  • Part 4, DISASSEMBLY & INSTALL NEW PARTS (REAR)
    BLEEDING BRAKES AND BED IN THE NEW PADS

[DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 1, GETTING STARTED)

Disclaimer: This Mod is being performed on my 2008 CTS RWD w/FE2 option and 19” CTS-V wheels. I will not address the CTS 4 though I have found no reason to believe it will not work on any 2008 – 2012 CTS with 18” wheels. So, take some time to measure your wheels for clearance.
Here is a link to JDP Motorsport that may help.

http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/media...fb8d27136e95/c/t/ctsv_specs_copy.jpg~original

The parts list:
Parts cost change almost daily so this is as close as I could get. I can say the pare numbers are the ones I used. As you can see, the rotors account for 1/3 of the total cost. There are hundreds of rotors available for the CTS-V. If the OEM Brembo rotors listed are not to your liking then any rotor made for the 2009 – 2012 CTS-V should work and save you $$$.

My calipers started life Yellow with V logos but thanks to the magic of VHT Red and Clear Caliper paint and some Brembo Logos they are now Red. The Yellow was beautiful but I didn’t want to use the V logo. The directions on the VHT can are not clear with respect to curing the paint. Here is what I did:

READ THE CAN! I got much of the following via phone with VHT.

1. Sand the flat area of the V logo with 1200 wet paper. If you are going back with same color then do not sand more then that area.

2. Sand or Red Scotch Brite Pad (VHT recommendation) the whole caliper, it comes with the input hole plugged with a blue stopper so it is waterproof.

3. Use hair dyer or let it set overnight.

4. Mask off the area not to be painted. In my case that was the bleeders, inlet hole, pistons and the area where the ends of the pads contact. I used Blue painters tape for masking, tested a sample in advance, and it had no problem throughout the process.

5. If keeping the Yellow, mask all but the flat surface where the V logo is. Go to the edge so if the paint does not match exactly it won't mater so mush. You can use printer paper for the large areas.

6. Paint, two light coats followed by one wet coat. Wait 10 min. after each coat.

7. As soon as it’s dry to the touch, 20 min, very carefully apply the logos. Pressed on the letters and try not to stick down the backing tape to much. Remove the backing tape and ensure the letters are flat.

8. If you are keeping Yellow remove all the masking. The clear will help cover the ledge created by the tape.

9. Apply two coats of VHT clear.

10. Number 6 thru 8 must be done within one hour.

11. Now, send your wife shopping while you hang them in the oven at 200 degrees for one hour.

It's paint. The worst that could happen is you get new logos and start over.

I got the stickers here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230778598205...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Tools:

• Jack
  • Jack Stand
  • Shop Rags
  • Hand Ceaner
  • More Shop Rags
  • Chock blocks
  • T27 Torx (Caliper Screw)
  • 10mm Socket (Speed Sensor)
  • 11mm Box Wrench (Small, for bleeder valve)
  • 12mm Socket (Banjo Bolt) *
  • 1/2 in Socket (Caliper Pin Bolt) *
  • 19mm (3/4”) Socket (Caliper Bolts) *
  • 22mm Socket (Lug Nuts) *
  • 9/16 Open End (Brake Lines)
  • 7/8 Open End (Brake Lines)
  • 3/4 Open End (Brake Lines)
  • Torque Wrench (mine only goes to 150 lb ft)
  • Brake Fluid. 1 liter (see below)
  • Catch Pan for fluid spells
* These Sockets must fit drive size of your torque wrench.

Torque Specs:

(2011 CTS-V Service Manual)
  • Wheel Lug Nuts 140 lb ft
  • Front Hub Bolts 100 lb ft
  • Front Caliper Bolts 166 lb ft
  • Front Caliper Guide Pin Bolt 48 lb ft
  • Rear Hub Bolts 100 lb ft
  • Rear Caliper Bolts 96 lb ft
  • Rear Caliper Guide Pin Bolt 20 lb ft
  • Brake Hose Banjo Bolt 36 lb ft

These are the parts needed for the front brakes:

And the Rear brakes. New bolts required are in parts list but not shown here:

B]The Goodridge brake lines:[/B]

NEXT – PART 2, DISASSEMBLY – When you have all the parts and tools together, go to part 2.

See less See more
#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
[DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 4, REAR)

[DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes in CTS (Part 4, DISASSEMBLY & INSTALL NEW PARTS (REAR)

• DISASSEMBLY (REAR)
  • INSTALL NEW PARTS (REAR)
  • BLEEDING BRAKES AND BED IN THE NEW PADS

As a side note, while doing the left rear brake install I also replaced the knuckle to get rid of the annoying pop when going over sharp bumps. The right one was replaced a year ago. It worked and the pop is gone. Total cost = $132.77 shipped.

Preassemble the caliper. Your caliper should look like this. Or maybe Yellow. I did not preassemble the front calipers but should have.

As with the front you must start by chocking the wheels, this time the front ones, (Per service man. - release the parking brake and put the transmission in neutral) then loosen the lug nuts about ½ turn with the lug wrench that came with your car or a breaker bar/torque wrench and a 7/8 – 22mm socket and short extension, jack and support the car with a jack stand and removing the wheel.

As with the front, remove the caliper (less mess if you leave the brake line attached) and the rotor. Using a 36mm socket and long breaker bar remove the axle nut.
Auto Zone has a loaner program on the large sockets. You pay full price for a used one and then get 100% refund when you return it. The 36mm was la little loose and the 34mm would not fit. So it is a 35mm or some inch size like 1 3/8”. Go with the 36mm, it worked fine and the nut was not hard to remove in ether side.

Remove the speed sensor and parking brake bracket.

Unlike the front, it is virtually impossible to get a socket in the three hub bolts due to the axle / CV joint. It took me quite a while to realize that the answer is to push the axle back as far as it will go. This was very easy on the right side but took the use of a puller on the left side.

If that fails and more room is needed you can place a support jack under the control arm and unbolt it from the knuckle so the axle will move back more. This and other bolts in the knuckle are quite easy to access and remove, with the exception of the Ball Joint at the top, so remove whatever you need to get the hub bolts out.

Remove the parking brake cable to free the backing plate. You need to pull the inner cable out as far as possible, clamp it with pliers and push the spring back to get a screwdriver in the hole. Then tie the spring back with tie wraps to help during reinstall.

Transfer the shoes from the Old to the New backing plate.

Install the new brake lines. The right rear has a short crossover cable in addition to the one that feeds the caliper. Remove the three clips, and the old cables, install new cables and clips. I could not find a good method to do this without fluid loss. It will help to connect the NEW line to the old caliper (in the catch pan) until you are ready to move the cable to the new caliper.

After the lines are connected at the body, reassemble everything with new parts. Don’t forget the speed sensor and parking brake cable. After the NEW CALIPER is mounted, move the cable to it.

Bleed the brakes,

In order to have the needed fluid on hand you need to decide if you are going to just bleed each corner or flush the entire system with high temp DOD 4/5 fluid. I flushed and used every drop of the liter can of ATE Super Blue. A lot of it was in the catch pan and on the ground.

Examples of high temp, racing fluids:
  • Motul RBF600 DOT 4 (Red) $36.88 – 1.2 liter - ebay
  • ATE Type 200 DOT 4 $18.25 shipped - 1 liter - ebay

Proper Bleed Order:

1. Passenger Rear – INNER
2. Passenger Rear - OUTER
3. Driver Rear - INNER
4. Driver Rear - OUTER
5. Passenger Front - INNER
6. Passenger Front - OUTER
7. Driver Front - INNER
8. Driver Front – OUTER

There are many tools available to help in bleeding brakes. I am “old school” and have no problem getting a buddy and using the “pump and hold” method. Notice I said buddy, not wife. For this you will need a length of clear tubing that fits on the bleeder valve and a catch can.

You could also use a “one way valve” inline with the tubing or the type that replaces the bleeder valve. These are available at Auto Zone. One is enough, just move it around.

I have had a Phoenix Systems for 10 years and never used it until now. It can pump fluid through the system at the master cylinder or pump the fluid out at the bleeder valve. It has a bottle with a cap that fits the master cylinder reservoir. Fill the bottle with fluid, connect the cap and hang the bottle like giving the car an IV.

I recommend the one way valve replacement for the bleeder valve, a length of clear hose and a bottle. That way even your wife cannot mess it up.

DONE! Next: Left rear wheel.

Hawk Performance Bed In / Burnishing Procedure

• 1. After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying MODERATE pressure.
  • 2. Make an additional 2 to 3 HARD stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
  • 3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
  • 4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down
After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.

It’s late, I’m tired, so I hope some of this makes sense.

#40 ·
Re: [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 1, GETTING STARTED)

I was confused by the part number info.

Part number 15853380 fit 2008 > 2012 CTS, NO CTS-V. That would be the small one.

Part number 25851205 (on the parts list) fits 2009 > 2012 CTS and CTS-V. NO 2008. That would be the large one.

There is something wrong here. Why would they list the large backing plate for the CTS? The cutout in it is for the Brembo caliper.
So, bottom line is the large backing plate is required.

#42 · (Edited)

Gotcha. Can you post pics of your completed project and detail the difference in feel and performance?
The brakes are unbelievable. Go test drive a V.

I'm not sure it will ever be done. Yesterday I had 295/35 Goodyear Eagle F1 tires mounted on the 10" Coupe wheels. Boy are they wide. Then, as a test, I put the the 285/35's from the rear on new 9.5x19 CTS-V wheels that will go on the front when the 11mm spacers arrive next week. If the size works out I will replace the tires with 285/35 Goodyear's. Then..., the 9x19's wheels off the front will go to Weldcraft Wheels Inc. and be widened to (10.5" or 11", not sure yet) and replace the 10" on the rear so they will FINALLY not stick out past the finder.

Done! Post photos.

Then the 10" CTS-V Coupe wheels will be sold.

More then you wanted to know, right?

OH! I forgot the spring kit and splitter. I may do my own splitter.

#48 ·

We are doing a lot of the cts v brakes in the GTO community right now.
I did 6 piston front and 4 piston rear in silver. Mine were less than 2000.00 with most everything sourced from amazon except the rotors(centric) from tire rack.
Did you guys now that the 4 piston Camaro SS rear calipers are the same and can be substituted for only $55 each?

#49 ·
We are doing a lot of the cts v brakes in the GTO community right now.
I did 6 piston front and 4 piston rear in silver. Mine were less than 2000.00 with most everything sourced from amazon except the rotors(centric) from tire rack.
Did you guys now that the 4 piston Camaro SS rear calipers are the same and can be substituted for only $55 each?
Do you have the part # for those rear calipers?

#51 ·
Re: [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 4, REAR)

Major thanks for doing the research and write up.
I am thinking about doing the front brakes on my 2012 CTS4 Wagon. Any idea if the rear Goodridge stainless lines from the CTS-V kit can be used with the stock rear brakes?
Also, do you have an estimate of how much time it took you to swap the front bits?

#52 ·

Yes, the Goodridge stainless lines will work with the stock calipers.

The front is by far the easier to do. I would guess 45 min for the first side and 30 min for the second. Then another few minutes for bleeding.

Get the Goodridge lines on order, took them forever to ship them.

#55 ·

Yes, the Goodridge stainless lines will work with the stock calipers.

The front is by far the easier to do. I would guess 45 min for the first side and 30 min for the second. Then another few minutes for bleeding.
Thanks, now I just have to decide if I want to pay someone to install them or if I want to get my own hands dirty.

#54 ·

Looks like the same caliper as the Yellow CTS-V one I used. Yes, there is a left and right. I suppose if you flipped it and moved the crossover tube to the bottom end it would work on ether side. I'm not sure.

If anyone installs these calipers let me know so I can add to the parts list.

Is this confusing or what? Check the two links.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-172-2503-Service-Caliper-Without/dp/B00559PYKM

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00559PYKM...e=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B00559PYKM

#56 ·
#57 ·

This is very odd. Part #172-2503 seems to be the left rear caliper based on the amazon user review, and #172-2502 is the right rear, however the right rear doesn't even look like a brembo. What gives?

left caliper http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-172-2...=UTF8&qid=1378836426&sr=1-3&keywords=172-2502
right caliper http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-172-2...=UTF8&qid=1378836426&sr=1-1&keywords=172-2502
Your links are the same.

As pictured the 172-2503 is RR. Mounted in front of the rotor with crossover tube at bottom, bleeder at top. 172-2502, if it is the same caliper, is LR.

#59 ·

Amazon has a very liberal return policy. You face the same issues I did when I started. You will have to be the first. There are Brembo brakes for almost any car. The question I have is what diameter rotor are these calipers made for.

I put 2012 Chevrolet Camaro in the fitment box and they say it fits. You will also need the rotor.
Notes: Rear New Caliper, LEFT HAND - w/o BRK PADS & BRKT - SS - EXC SYNERGY SPECIAL EDITION PKG 2(AJB) - EXC SYNERGY SPECIAL EDITION PKG(AJA)

Maybe you could look at what the PKG 2(AJB) and (AJA) are on a Camaro.

If you read my MOD you know that I ordered one and tried it for fit.

----------

Keep in mind you can get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-172-2...&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

for a little more and it will fit the CTS and doesn't have "Chevrolet" on it.

#60 ·
#65 ·

hmmm I just did a side-by-side comparison of the silver and yellow and the yellow looks bigger. Even the dimensions are different
I would be very surprised if that is true. I did a lot of research and could not confirm it but I thought the pistons were different sizes in the colors. Tried searching through the part numbers for the piston kits but my hair started smoking so I gave up.

Porsche also uses color to designate their calipers with red being the top and only on the top models. The brake specs are the same. 996 C2's got black calipers and C4's got silver calipers. GT3 and Turbo got red calipers.

#67 ·

Ok I will take your word that the silver is the same as the yellow. If it doesn't fit you owe me a brand new car lol.
Cool! The Silver V calipers will work. The Chevrolet may as well but I don't know.

What will you do to the calipers. Surely not leave the "Chevrolet" on them. With the Silver ones you can let them be if you wish. Painting is a hassle but sometimes worth it..

#71 ·

I was going to use your diy to paint them, unless you don't recommend that?
I had problems with the VHT system. On both color and clear coat the directions say to apply two light coats followed by one medium wet coat, ten minutes between coats and all coats must be done within one hour. Else you must wait seven days.

So, you have to put on color coats, put on the stickers, then coats of clear, all within one hour, then bake at 200. The paint does dry to the touch very fast.

I had problems with the later coats, the clear, "crinkling" the paint already applied. When that happens you have to strip and start over.

I got it done but it was not fun. A call to VHT was not helpful.

#73 ·

On your parts list you have the rear rotors as 177-1105. When you search on that on amazon that's for the fronts. When I did a search on rockauto, the rears are 177-1051 http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-177-10...words=177-1051

Did you put the 1-piece front on the rear?

Here is the part number I used and the one pictured in the MOD. I got them from AutoAnything but these are the same part number and cost less. I did paint the edge silver to closer match the front.
http://www.amazon.com/Centric-Parts-.../dp/B008CRLGJM

The numbers listed in the MOD are the OEM Brembo parts because thats what the MOD was about. However, I did note that there were a lot of other rotors that could be used.

#74 ·

Hello all. Time, and experience changes everything, including this MOD. My goal was to put the OEM CTS-V Brembo brakes on my CTS, and I did, with the exception of the rear rotor which in Centric, (the one on the parts list in OEM), lines and pads.

And now I cannot even edit the MOD for updates. :annoyed: :banghead:

Given what I have learned in the past 6 months, mostly through your comments, I should have broadened my view a little and also looked at the Camaro SS Brembo parts as well. They appear to be the same parts and less expensive although I cannot verify this. A little Yellow or Red paint to cover the "Chevrolet" and they should look the same as well. One of you will have to step up and try it. is250sp may be doing that as we speak.

If you shop for the best deal on calipers and rotors all the other parts on the list are golden.

----------

There is a part number error in the list (thank you is250sp). The number listed for the rear rotor is if fact the one piece front rotor. If you look on Amazon and many other sites the photo shown with this number is a rear rotor. Tonkin says it is the front and rear rotor.

I cannot edit the list and right now I'm not sure what the number is for the OEM CTS-V rotor so hopefully anyone looking at doing the MOD will read this thread.

#76 · (Edited)

Yes, that is correct. I'm sorry. I searched 2010 CTS-V and it came up.

I worked for weeks to locate, purchase, test install and write up the install of Brembo brakes using Yellow rear calipers numbers 172-2523 and 172-2524. If you want to use others, order and test them, and let us know how it goes.

Edit: From my notes, RockAuto, front, one side.

Yellow ACDelco 172.2523, $272
Silver ACDelco 172-2486, $281
Red ACDekco 172-2580, $1023

#80 ·
Re: [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 3, INSTALL NEW PARTS, FRONT)

That sucks man. Even if you "made it to work" I'd still worry since it wasn't designed for it. These are brakes we talking about, not some rear spoiler can be made to work. At least amazon has a good return policy.

#83 ·
Re: [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 3, INSTALL NEW PARTS, FRONT)

That sucks man. Even if you "made it to work" I'd still worry since it wasn't designed for it. These are brakes we talking about, not some rear spoiler can be made to work. At least amazon has a good return policy.
I still have a small bit of hope after looking at the part codes for both the RWD and AWD J55 Calipers.
Apparently they are mirrored. The Right front Caliper part for RWD cars is the same as the Left front Caliper part for AWD cars.
So if I am able to mount the Left caliper on the Right and vice versus for the other caliper I may be in business.

#81 ·
Mistercoffee2 said:
I know very little about the AWD setup. Many of the part numbers are not the same as the RWD for obvious reasons. The front Caliper on the 2012 AWD is in front of the knuckle, and on the RWD it is in the rear of the knuckle. Because of this I'm not willing to say the MOD will work. Are yours like this? [Credits: Photo of beautiful Coupe lifted from gohawks63.]
Alas. She is in search of a new home as I gave her up for a V coupe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.