[DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 3, INSTALL NEW PARTS, FRONT)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 3, INSTALL NEW PARTS, FRONT) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; ...
    Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

[DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 3, INSTALL NEW PARTS, FRONT)

I had to trim one tab on the hub splash cover because the fly cut on the steering knuckle of my 2008 was to small. I have no idea in what year they will fit without cutting. This was the only part that did not bolt on correctly.

Re-install hub with new Splash Guards (Torque=100 lb ft):

The two Splash Guards. What kind of "splash" will this guard?

Hub bolts Torque=100 lb ft

Re-install speed sensor:

Install new rotor with old screw:

Install new caliper with new bolts (166 lb ft): WOW that’s a lot, not sure I got there because my torque wrench only goes to 150 lb ft.

Installing the pads in the Calipers can be done in advance if you wish. Might be easier on your garage workbench. The process is the same. (As you will see in the upcoming install of the rear brakes, I did pre-assemble the calipers.) Torquing the guide pin bolt to 48 lb ft may be easier after the caliper in mounted. If you pre-assemble, don't forget the grease!

Remove caliper guide pin bolt:

Install new Pads. Apply Grease to the ends of the pad brackets (careful not to get any in the pad surface or rotor) and on all six caliper pistons where they contact the pads (supplied with Hawk Pads). The pads are the same for both sides.

Install the top guide pin from the rear and seat with hammer and punch.

Re-install the Caliper Guide Pin Bolt (48 lb ft) and Brake Line (36 lb ft) and reconnect the brake line support bracket.

I’m sorry. I got mixed up in my photo taking sequence. In the following two photos the Guide Pin Bolt should be in place as it is in the one above.

Install the end of the pad retaining spring under the guide pin with “T” under the tabs on the pads. (As shown in photo)

Push down the lower end of the spring and insert the lower guide pin from the rear. Seat with hammer. (As shown in photo)

Bleed: Well that depends, see below. For now I will show you this mess of hoses which I will be using later

Install wheel (140 lb ft):Wheel with new caliper:

Now step back and admire the results.

If you are going to take a break here and do the rear brakes later (as I am because I don’t have all the parts for the rear yet) you will need to bleed the front brakes and "Bed In" the pads. I have no friend to help with the "old pump and hold" method so I used the Phoenix Injector in the suck mode to get the air out of the front brakes then did the bed in process. All is well but I cannot give any raving reviews yet. Have to wait for the rear brakes and let things "bed in" read good. Also, I thing the steel lines will help with paddle feel. When I complete the rear I will flush the system.

Hawk Performance Bed In / Burnishing Procedure
    • 1. After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
    • 2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
    • 3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
    • 4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down
    After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.

After all 4 corners are done I recommend flushing the entire system with a few pints of (colored) high temp DOD 4/5 fluid.

Examples of high temp, racing fluids:
    • Motul RBF 600 DOT 6 (Red) $19 - 2 pints
    • ATE Super Blue DOT 4 (Blue) also comes in (Amber) $15 - 1 quart

If you are NOT going to flush the entire brake system, 2-3 pints of DOT 3 /4 brake fluid of your choice should be fine for bleeding all four corners.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steps for Front

1. Turn the steering to lock in the opposite direction to where you will be working
    2. Loosen Lug nuts ½ turn
    3. Raise and support car
    4. Remove wheel
    5. Remove and store brake line
    6. Remove caliper bolts
    7. Remove caliper
    8. Remove rotor screw and rotor
    9. Remove speed sensor
    10. Remove hub bolts
    11. Remove hub and Splash Guard
    12. Clean up area
    13. Install hub and new backing plates (100 lb ft)
    14. Install speed sensor
    15. Install new rotor and screw
    16. Install new caliper and new bolts (166 lb ft)
    17. Remove caliper guide pin bolt
    18. Connect brake line (36 lb ft)
    19. Apply grease to caliper and pads
    20. Install new pads
    21. Install caliper guide pin bolt (48 lb ft)
    22. Install pin kit
    23. Bleed
    24. Install wheel (140 lb ft)
    25. Bed in Pads

That’s it for the front brakes and all the Texas heat I can take for now.

COMING LATER - REAR BRAKES
    • Part 4, DISASSEMBLY (REAR)
    • Part 5, INSTALL NEW PARTS (REAR)
    • Part 6, BLEEDING BRAKES AND BED IN THE NEW PADS

I'm sticking this here for later use.

Proper Bleed Order:

1. Passenger Rear – INNER
    2. Passenger Rear - OUTER
    3. Driver Rear - INNER
    4. Driver Rear - OUTER
    5. Passenger Front - INNER
    6. Passenger Front - OUTER
    7. Driver Front - INNER
    8. Driver Front - OUTER
    rubenmer1 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD

Re: [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 3, INSTALL NEW PARTS, FRONT)

did you reinstall the oem brake line? what happened to the stainless steel brake line kit?

Yes for now. The Goodridge lines are on backorder until mid July. When they come in I will install and flush the brake system.

Can the oem brake line be utilized or do we need the stainless lines? What is the V line made of?

Would you mind adding a diy for bleeding the brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by is250sp View Post
    Can the oem brake line be utilized or do we need the stainless lines? What is the V line made of?
    The simple answer includes a question: Yes you can use the oem lines. But why would you? Check this out. It's from LS1Tech but the work is being done on a GEN1 CTS-V. Should answer your question. In fact I may steal some quotes from it for my DIY. SHHH, don't tell anyone.
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-c...tallation.html

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

Great writeup! Thanks for taking the time to detail your project -- and for even including all the necessary part numbers!

Has anyone wonder how you can get away with removing and reinstall the hub without doing a wheel alignment?

I was also surprised that the rear flange on the hub is not an exact fit (to the .001") into the bore hole of the steering knuckle. The only thing aligning the hub is the three bolts.

Merge is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ★ 2009 CTS⁴ Black Raven|Ebony ★

Amazing writeup!
    They look great!
    How do they feel? Was it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Merge View Post
    Amazing writeup!
    They look great!
    How do they feel? Was it worth it?
    Thanks. To be honest the feel is good but it's not fair to judge until the work is done. The rear brakes and braded lines will be done in a few days. The real problem with judging them now is that I did not do a proper job of bleeding the system following the front install. That will come after the rear and line are done.

ghoward10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI AWD

Awesome Job!!! Can this mod be done on a CTS4???? Dying to get the yellow brembo's on my black diamond cts4. Thanks.

I will compair some of the stock CTS vs CTS4 brake components part numbers. If they are the same it should be a go.

I'll get back to you here.

EDIT: Responded to PM

StEvO_1222 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4 3.6L Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercoffee2 View Post
    I will compair some of the stock CTS vs CTS4 brake components part numbers. If they are the same it should be a go.

I'll get back to you here.
    Did you ever find out if this upgrade is compatible with CTS4 models? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by StEvO_1222 View Post
    Did you ever find out if this upgrade is compatible with CTS4 models? Thanks.
    I know very little about the AWD setup. Many of the part numbers are not the same as the RWD for obvious reasons. The front Caliper on the 2012 AWD is in front of the knuckle, and on the RWD it is in the rear of the knuckle. Because of this I'm not willing to say the MOD will work.

Are yours like this? [Credits: Photo of beautiful Coupe lifted from gohawks63.]

StEvO_1222 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4 3.6L Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercoffee2 View Post
    I know very little about the AWD setup. Many of the part numbers are not the same as the RWD for obvious reasons. The front Caliper on the 2012 AWD is in front of the knuckle, and on the RWD it is in the rear of the knuckle. Because of this I'm not willing to say the MOD will work.

Are yours like this? [Credits: Photo of beautiful Coupe lifted from gohawks63.]
    My calipers are in the front (like your pic). Not sure what to do. I just ordered all the parts from your list . I guess I'll take a look at everything with the wheel off and see if it can be made to work. If not, I might be putting a complete set of CTS-V Brakes up in the classifieds.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.