[DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 3, INSTALL NEW PARTS, FRONT) - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 3, INSTALL NEW PARTS, FRONT) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by StEvO_1222 Here's a pic of the splash guard. I was able to bend it out of the ...
    Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 3, INSTALL NEW PARTS, FRONT)

Quote Originally Posted by StEvO_1222 View Post
    Here's a pic of the splash guard. I was able to bend it out of the way for the test fit. I may just trim these shields down and get a refund on the V shields.
    That's a good idea because the V "splash guard" is a joke. I really can't see what it does.

It will be much harder in the rear due to the parking brake backing plate but the rear is most likely the same as the RWD. I don"t envy you having to remove the hubs to change the studs. At lease on mine I only had axles in the rear and the front was easy.

The spacers at weaponxmotorsports look great. I got mine form motorsport-tech and they did not come with studs. I got the studs from Auto Zone. I had CTS-V wheels and no clearance problem. I added the spacers anyway for looks.

Please keep us updated, with photos. (nice photos by the way)

StEvO_1222 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4 3.6L Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercoffee2 View Post
    The spacers at weaponxmotorsports look great. I got mine form motorsport-tech and they did not come with studs. I got the studs from Auto Zone. I had CTS-V wheels and no clearance problem. I added the spacers anyway for looks.)
    I think they are actually the same spacers both are branded "adaptec". Only difference is the WeaponX spacers come with studs and extended thread lug nuts.
    Ben at weapon X told me the studs can be removed from the hub pretty easily. Was that the case with yours Mistercoffee? I'm won't need a hydraulic press or anything like that will I?

I think they are actually the same spacers both are branded "adaptec". Only difference is the WeaponX spacers come with studs and extended thread lug nuts.
    Ben at weapon X told me the studs can be removed from the hub pretty easily. Was that the case with yours Mistercoffee? I'm won't need a hydraulic press or anything like that will I?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX9te2iFH3E

It is not my style to use brute force, such as the big hammer in this video, to remove a car part. Although it may work I went with the service manual and removed the hubs. As I recall there is not enough clearance behind the mounted hub to push out the stud and there is no "notch" as described in the video. After removing the hub, no small task, I put a small socket behind the stud to give it a place to go, put it in a big vise and pushed it out. Helper bar required on the vise handle. I tried using a deep socket and vise to push in the new stud but could not. I used the same method as in the video.

A world of caution. Don't over use one lug nut when pulling in the lugs. Pick up 4 lug nuts at Auto Zone and use one for each wheel and throw it out. The threads get damaged and in turn damage the threads on the stud.

Final thought. There is no way these studs will pop out as easy as the one did in the video. But then removing the hubs is not fun on the rear of RWD and all of the AWD. If you thing there is clearance to remove the stud, go for it. But the hub is not indestructible.

StEvO_1222 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4 3.6L Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercoffee2 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX9te2iFH3E

It is not my style to use brute force, such as the big hammer in this video, to remove a car part. Although it may work I went with the service manual and removed the hubs. As I recall there is not enough clearance behind the mounted hub to push out the stud and there is no "notch" as described in the video. After removing the hub, no small task, I put a small socket behind the stud to give it a place to go, put it in a big vise and pushed it out. Helper bar required on the vise handle. I tried using a deep socket and vise to push in the new stud but could not. I used the same method as in the video.

A world of caution. Don't over use one lug nut when pulling in the lugs. Pick up 4 lug nuts at Auto Zone and use one for each wheel and throw it out. The threads get damaged and in turn damage the threads on the stud.

Final thought. There is no way these studs will pop out as easy as the one did in the video. But then removing the hubs is not fun on the rear of RWD and all of the AWD. If you thing there is clearance to remove the stud, go for it. But the hub is not indestructible.
    Wonder if it's worth investing in a small arbor press like this for the job.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-a...ress-3552.html

Wonder if it's worth investing in a small arbor press like this for the job.
    I think that would do it. Need a place to bolt it down. Good price.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.