[DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 3, INSTALL NEW PARTS, FRONT) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 3, INSTALL NEW PARTS, FRONT) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; That sucks man. Even if you "made it to work" I'd still worry since it wasn't designed for it. These ...
    is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD

Re: [DIY] Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS (Part 3, INSTALL NEW PARTS, FRONT)

That sucks man. Even if you "made it to work" I'd still worry since it wasn't designed for it. These are brakes we talking about, not some rear spoiler can be made to work. At least amazon has a good return policy.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistercoffee2
    I know very little about the AWD setup. Many of the part numbers are not the same as the RWD for obvious reasons. The front Caliper on the 2012 AWD is in front of the knuckle, and on the RWD it is in the rear of the knuckle. Because of this I'm not willing to say the MOD will work. Are yours like this? [Credits: Photo of beautiful Coupe lifted from gohawks63.]
    Alas. She is in search of a new home as I gave her up for a V coupe.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Compare the master cylinder and bias valves between the two cars.

StEvO_1222 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4 3.6L Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by is250sp View Post
    That sucks man. Even if you "made it to work" I'd still worry since it wasn't designed for it. These are brakes we talking about, not some rear spoiler can be made to work. At least amazon has a good return policy.
    I still have a small bit of hope after looking at the part codes for both the RWD and AWD J55 Calipers.
    Apparently they are mirrored. The Right front Caliper part for RWD cars is the same as the Left front Caliper part for AWD cars.
    So if I am able to mount the Left caliper on the Right and vice versus for the other caliper I may be in business.

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by StEvO_1222 View Post
    I still have a small bit of hope after looking at the part codes for both the RWD and AWD J55 Calipers.
    Apparently they are mirrored. The Right front Caliper part for RWD cars is the same as the Left front Caliper part for AWD cars.
    So if I am able to mount the Left caliper on the Right and vice versus for the other caliper I may be in business.
    That's good news. I will be waiting to see the results.

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    Compare the master cylinder and bias valves between the two cars.
    Both the ABS Modulator Valve and Master Cylinder part numbers are the same between the 3.6 and the CTS-V

Both the ABS Modulator Valve and Master Cylinder part numbers are the same between the 3.6 and the CTS-V
    I also verified this before starting the MOD.

Starting to feel a bit better about the possibility of this working on the AWD models.
    Just spoke with my brother who is a automotive mechanical engineer and he seems to think there will be no dangerous problems with the install. Assuming there are no clearance or mounting issues.
    Only thing left is to test fit the parts and see what happens.
    Now I just need to get my hands on a torque wrench that goes up to 166 ft/lbs. Any thoughts on where to get or rent one?

Starting to feel a bit better about the possibility of this working on the AWD models.
    Just spoke with my brother who is a automotive mechanical engineer and he seems to think there will be no dangerous problems with the install. Assuming there are no clearance or mounting issues.
    Only thing left is to test fit the parts and see what happens.
    Now I just need to get my hands on a torque wrench that goes up to 166 ft/lbs. Any thoughts on where to get or rent one?
    I got a loaner 36mm (rear hub) from Auto Zone, don't know what other tools they loan.

mrcoupe2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI

Install wheel (140 lb ft):Wheel with new caliper:

Just curious why you tightened the wheels down with that torque setting. The manual calls for 100 lb ft of torque for the wheel nuts. The conversion for this is 140 N m of torque, could this just be a typo?

Been reading this thread because I'm thinking of doing the conversion myself to offset the extra load on my OEM brakes and longer stopping distances after installing larger rims on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercoffee2 View Post
    I got a loaner 36mm (rear hub) from Auto Zone, don't know what other tools they loan.
    Just picked up a loaner wrench from Pepboys.
    Going to test fit everything this weekend. Finger Crossed

Test fit the brakes today on the CTS4. Everything went quite well. The calipers and rotors fit perfectly.
    The Goodridge brake lines for the CTS-V however, are not long enough. Apparently Goodridge makes a stainless kit for the CTS4 (part # 15018). So I will return the CTS-V lines and go for the CTS4 lines.
    The only other hiccup is the clearance of my OEM 19" wheels. They will require about 8-10mm spacers in order to work with my wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoupe2002 View Post
    Just curious why you tightened the wheels down with that torque setting. The manual calls for 100 lb ft of torque for the wheel nuts. The conversion for this is 140 N m of torque, could this just be a typo?

Been reading this thread because I'm thinking of doing the conversion myself to offset the extra load on my OEM brakes and longer stopping distances after installing larger rims on the car.
    Below is from the ALLDATA 2011 CTS-V manual. I also have the hard copy manuals for the 2008 CTS and the spec is the same.
    Attached Images

Test fit the brakes today on the CTS4. Everything went quite well. The calipers and rotors fit perfectly.
    The Goodridge brake lines for the CTS-V however, are not long enough. Apparently Goodridge makes a stainless kit for the CTS4 (part # 15018). So I will return the CTS-V lines and go for the CTS4 lines.
    The only other hiccup is the clearance of my OEM 19" wheels. They will require about 8-10mm spacers in order to work with my wheels.
    Wow, are you sure, 8-10mm is a lot. Are your wheels 18"? In the photo it looks like a smaller spacer would work but maybe you did not have them tightened. If you have to go 8-10mm you will have to replace the studs with longer ones. On a positive note, the 11mm studs from D3 set the tires out and look great. They also come with new studs. I have no idea if they are recommended for AWD.

Also, did the AWD not have a splash guard behind the rotor?

Wow, are you sure, 8-10mm is a lot. Are your wheels 18"? In the photo it looks like a smaller spacer would work but maybe you did not have them tightened. If you have to go 8-10mm you will have to replace the studs with longer ones. On a positive note, the 11mm studs from D3 set the tires out and look great. They also come with new studs. I have no idea if they are recommended for AWD.
    I was not able to completely bolt the wheel on flush to the hub due to the contact with the caliper. There's about 5mm gap behind the wheel. They are OEM 19" wheels BTW.
    The D3 spacers look like a quality product but I think I am going to go with these from Weapon X for a lot less.
    http://weaponxmotorsports.myshopify....-wheel-spacers
    I assume I will have to add spacers to both front and back to keep the AWD track equal and happy. If anyone has any info on whether this is necessary that would be great.

Also, did the AWD not have a splash guard behind the rotor?
    Here's a pic of the splash guard. I was able to bend it out of the way for the test fit. I may just trim these shields down and get a refund on the V shields.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.