EBC Brake pads ( IMPORTANT )
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, EBC Brake pads ( IMPORTANT ) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello there people, i installed a set of GREEN STUFF pads on my 09 CTS Sedan, after a couple months ...
    eborunda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

EBC Brake pads ( IMPORTANT )

Hello there people, i installed a set of GREEN STUFF pads on my 09 CTS Sedan, after a couple months ( 3 or 4 months ) with normal everyday city driving, the pads wore off, i thought it was too soon but my dealer told me since 85% of the braking goes to the front brakes that would be the reason so, i went for RED STUFF EBC brake pads. and after 3 months of regular NORMAL driving i noticed that everythime i steped on the brakes the steering wheel shaked a bit. so, i went back to my dealer thinking that the rotors where not turned correctly but they tell me that the problem is on the pads that they are too harsh for the rotors. Can this be right ? i have never had this problem on all of my prevois cars ( on which i used EBC pads ). any adviced will be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

btlfedcts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Sedan, 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: EBC Brake pads ( IMPORTANT )

I have had some experience with EBC pads and rotors on some 4th gen F-bodies GMT800 GM trucks and they have proved to be a good product (not cheap nor a premium either.)

My Experience with the EBC product line:

The "Greenstuff" would perform marginally better heating up as quick and resisting a brake fade better than the OE with the OE pads lasting longer. In most cases however the greenstuff doesn't seem to fair well in heavier car applications. Our CTS' are by no means feather weights and as such would see shorter life on a non-heavy metallic brake pad. I had found that the OEM pads outlived the EBCs on my 2001 Silverado by nearly double. On the F-bodies I worked on the lifespan differences are marginal.

The "Redstuff" will provide better pedal feel (predictable and progressive feel) when monitoring lockup with notably better resistance to brake fade. For an all out street vehicle the pads did make some more noise than the ceramic OE counterparts but the increased pad grip was worth the trade off.

Now as far as the rotor issues... have experienced rotor hot spotting and minor warpage with just the spirited street driving in my CTS coupe (< 6000 miles)so I can see anyone who is shopping for a better performance brake pad probably drives in a similar aggressive fashion. I would think that the fact you had non-stock "performance" pads was enough reason for a dealer to deny warranty or condemn the aftermarket part ... its sad but most dealerships frown upon those who seek out better than stock parts. I really don't think the pads are to blame but that the rotors are just OE rotors and lack the durability of a "performance" product.

eborunda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by btlfedcts
    I have had some experience with EBC pads and rotors on some 4th gen F-bodies GMT800 GM trucks and they have proved to be a good product (not cheap nor a premium either.)

My Experience with the EBC product line:

The "Greenstuff" would perform marginally better heating up as quick and resisting a brake fade better than the OE with the OE pads lasting longer. In most cases however the greenstuff doesn't seem to fair well in heavier car applications. Our CTS' are by no means feather weights and as such would see shorter life on a non-heavy metallic brake pad. I had found that the OEM pads outlived the EBCs on my 2001 Silverado by nearly double. On the F-bodies I worked on the lifespan differences are marginal.

The "Redstuff" will provide better pedal feel (predictable and progressive feel) when monitoring lockup with notably better resistance to brake fade. For an all out street vehicle the pads did make some more noise than the ceramic OE counterparts but the increased pad grip was worth the trade off.

Now as far as the rotor issues... have experienced rotor hot spotting and minor warpage with just the spirited street driving in my CTS coupe (< 6000 miles)so I can see anyone who is shopping for a better performance brake pad probably drives in a similar aggressive fashion. I would think that the fact you had non-stock "performance" pads was enough reason for a dealer to deny warranty or condemn the aftermarket part ... its sad but most dealerships frown upon those who seek out better than stock parts. I really don't think the pads are to blame but that the rotors are just OE rotors and lack the durability of a "performance" product.
    Thank you, i totally agree, i had my rotors turned yesterday and the steering wheel shaking stoped, let see what happens after i put some miles on them. This is my first time with RED STUFF ive always used GREEN STUFF and like you said, they didnt last so thats why im trying this ones but came across this small issue.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.