How can I make my 3.6 Base CTS faster?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, How can I make my 3.6 Base CTS faster? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I'm not mechanically inclined at all so i'm just wondering if some posters here can suggest what performance mods can ...
    Caddybrese is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS

How can I make my 3.6 Base CTS faster?

I'm not mechanically inclined at all so i'm just wondering if some posters here can suggest what performance mods can give me a little bit more horsepower. I'm not interested in a supercharger kit or anything like that. I know the 2009 Base CTS comes with 258 horsepower. Is it possible to get to 290-300 range with small modifications? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sandcracker21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI
    Short answer, no.

There are people on here who think adding a cai and a catch can will make you faster (it wont) but the fact is there's no aftermarket for performance with these cars. You could add a cat back and cai and gain 5 hp MAYBE. A tune would be your best bet for a few ponies but still expensive

I've given up hope on a supercharger kit for these cars that is widespread

Re: How can I make my 3.6 Base CTS faster?

Quote Originally Posted by sandcracker21 View Post
    Short answer, no.

There are people on here who think adding a cai and a catch can will make you faster (it wont) but the fact is there's no aftermarket for performance with these cars. You could add a cat back and cai and gain 5 hp MAYBE. A tune would be your best bet for a few ponies but still expensive

I've given up hope on a supercharger kit for these cars that is widespread
    I probably should have done more homework before purchasing my CTS but I fell in love with it's looks and price but now find my self wanting a little more speed as well as options inside. Not worth adding a new intake and exhaust for 5 more hp. Oh well. Thanks for the response.

sandcracker21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI
    Yea, you have to consider how an engine works. The engine has an air/fuel ratio and produces power..

If you get a bigger cai that allows more air it will still get choked off by the smaller throttle body. Then you replace the TB and it's choked by the plenum. Replace that but the engine can't use all that extra air;so you tune it to use more air to fuel ratio and run premium fuel. Perfect. But then the headers are too small, so you have to replace those. Now the midpipe is the choke point, so you need a bigger and less restrictive midpipe. That leaves the catback which definitely needs to be replaced now.

After all that, you will have some nice gains. Is it worth the 4-5 grand it will cost ?? Up to you

----------

There are other thing you can do such as rear wheel gears and pullies on the engine, but the parts don't really exist because like I said there is a very small aftermarket for our cars.

I agree with ya, I wish there was more we could do... I also fell in love with the styling and interior but wish it had more power

----------

There are other thing you can do such as rear wheel gears and pullies on the engine, but the parts don't really exist because like I said there is a very small aftermarket for our cars.

I agree with ya, I wish there was more we could do... I also fell in love with the styling and interior, but wish it had more power

bronik90 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe - 3.6l DI AWD
    Get the biggest spoiler you can find. Carbon fiber adds at least 10hp.

ajazolino is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS
    Seriously? No serious replies? I added a volant CAI and the vmax iceolator, magnaflow cat back exhaust, and a trifecta tune and there is a very very noticeable difference. 5 hp my ass. The exhaust was $720 $100 installation. CAI was $270. Trifecta tune, I can't remember. I bought it during the cable sale. Buy the tune get the cable free. Iceolator was $150. Not very expensive at all. And I am in love with the difference. So please, do not believe that there is nothing you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by ajazolino View Post
    Seriously? No serious replies? I added a volant CAI and the vmax iceolator, magnaflow cat back exhaust, and a trifecta tune and there is a very very noticeable difference. 5 hp my ass. The exhaust was $720 $100 installation. CAI was $270. Trifecta tune, I can't remember. I bought it during the cable sale. Buy the tune get the cable free. Iceolator was $150. Not very expensive at all. And I am in love with the difference. So please, do not believe that there is nothing you can do.
    Thanks for the serious response man. I'm going to look into to adding a CAI and exhaust to start.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by Caddybrese View Post
    Thanks for the serious response man. I'm going to look into to adding a CAI and exhaust to start.
    Caddybrese.

Are you sure you have a 3.6L in a base model? I'm not sure it was avail in a base. Maybe you don't have a base. Check with Laura at Cad Cust Service and have her run your VIN for you.

Marv

arw1510 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    Caddybrese.

Are you sure you have a 3.6L in a base model? I'm not sure it was avail in a base. Maybe you don't have a base. Check with Laura at Cad Cust Service and have her run your VIN for you.

Marv
    He has an 09, back then the two engines offered were both 3.6, one was non di and the other was di.

but the CAI wont do you much good unless your at full throttle, but the exhaust may help a bit, the tune would probably be the best bang for your buck

arw1510 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

edit: dupe post

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    Caddybrese.

Marv
    It's a 09 CTS with a 3.6L non DI engine. The only upgraded option is has is the wood trim inside.

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Quote Originally Posted by bronik90 View Post
    Get the biggest spoiler you can find. Carbon fiber adds at least 10hp.
    LOL!!!!

Don't forget the ricer Magnaflow; AEM, K&N, Airaid, and Injen stickers plastered all over the car. Those stickers should add 10 HP each!!!

LastTripToTulsa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD 3.6 DI

No point in getting a CAI unless you're getting a tune also. You will get very little benefit out of it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by EVH5150 View Post
    LOL!!!!

Don't forget the ricer Magnaflow; AEM, K&N, Airaid, and Injen stickers plastered all over the car. Those stickers should add 10 HP each!!!
    Real funny. ...if you have the sense of humor of a 10 year old. Smh.

bronik90 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe - 3.6l DI AWD
    Real funny. ...if you have the sense of humor of a 10 year old. Smh.
    Coming from the guy using "smh" like my 12 year old niece. Lighten up man.
    Tbbt and Tbbt like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.