Cadillac Owners Forum banner

JDP CTS-V Stage 2 6-Piston Upgrade Package on CTS

12K views 59 replies 9 participants last post by  Mistercoffee2 
#1 ·
Search, search and no find so I'll ask. Has anyone done the JDP CTS-V Stage 2 6-Piston (or any other) brake Upgrade Package on their CTS. Below is email to/from JDP.

My question:

Is it possible to fit your CTS-V Stage2 brakes kit to a 2008 CTS sedan with 19" CTS-V wheels.

If not, what else will I need to change?

Reply:

Hi David,

The CTS-V package would be a direct bolt-on to your CTS. We can also leave the CTS-V silver with the logo if you'd like. Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions. I appreciate your interest in our products and have a great day!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley | JDP Motorsports | President
888-308-6007 Toll Free | 801-545-4215 Phone | 801-545-4217 Fax
jordan@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com

See less See more
#43 · (Edited)
SUCCESS !

The Rotors and Calipers mounted perfectly. But, I forgot about the backing plates. They are much to small. New ones are about $12.00 each (25949512 Right and 25949513 Left) and I will be updating the parts list.

Take a look at the distance from the rotor to the bolt in the upright with old and new rotors. There is no problem, the bolt is well behind the rotor but this shows how much bigger these rotors are.

The bolts are 1/2" X 2". Unless your bolts are rusted, I see no reason to replace them. Mine are like new. Your call.

The brake line will connect to the new caliper. If you like the rubber lines for street only driving then you can use them. If you want the best brake feel possible then replace them.

I had a little trouble getting the Torx screw out of the rotor. My T25 fit a little loose so it may be a T27.

I'm guess the rear backing plates will also have to be replaced and they mount the parking brake and cost about $65 each. GM 24851205 and 25851190. Won't know for sure until I get the rear parts and take a look at it.

I also found a Phoenix Systems brake bleeding kit burred in my shed. I got it in Aug 2004 (receipt in box) and never used it. May try it. Can be used to push or pull the fluid.

All said, it looks like there are no problems that cannot be overcome so I'm ordering more parts.

#45 · (Edited)
Yes I will when the parts get here and I remove the old calipers. My car is back together now.

Here is the latest parts list with the backing plates and updated prices. I think Amazon may have the front backing plates but the photo was not correct so I went with GM. Replacing the backing plate requires removal of the hub because the plate is under it.

I will continue to chat here and when the parts arrive I will start a DIY MOD Thread and do a photo step by step thing

#46 ·
Mistercoffee2, in case you can't tell. Me and probably a lot of other forum members are really thankful for what you just did. I have been wanting to do this on my coupe since I took delivery on my car. I knew that it would be a pricey venture but now I have an exact cost and will start saving my pennies and when I have to replace my brakes or have enough set aside ill be doing the exact same thing!

Thanks again. Look forward to seeing the DIY

Jag

#47 ·
Thank you very much. It was a labor of love and I enjoyed the search. I'm sure there will be more changes to the parts list coming. Hopefully people will come up with suppliers with better prices. Like the brake lines. $163 is a lot but they are the best (?) and I have not found many suppliers.

I have developed a tooth problem in the last few days and I know when I get to the dentist the bill will be half what this mod cost. I'm telling you this because my pockets are not that deep (no, not seeking donations lol) so I ordered only the parts to do the front end as Part 1 of the DIY (I will try to complete part 1 by end of May) and the rear a few weeks later as Part 2 (maybe by the end of June if the dentist lets me keep a few bucks).

Does anyone have thoughts on the drivability of the car with the stock brakes in the rear and V brakes up front?

Thanks for your kind words.

#50 ·
I received the front Splash Guards and was very surprised. They are not what I expected. While looking into these odd things I discovered that there is another Splash Guard on late model CTS-V mounted behind the upright. They cover the hole on the spindle and cost about $15 each. I don't know If we need them.

I also got the rear caliper bolts but not the front.

#53 ·
Progress update: I now have all the parts for the front brakes save one. The caliper pin set had a two month backorder on Amazon so I ordered from RockAuto and now get a 4 June ship date from them. They are also available from gmpartsonline.net.

So I'm working on putting the Brembo decals on and high temp clear coat over them.

Also I may install d3 spacers on while I have the hub off. The spacer requires longer lug bolts. I have the CTS-V wheels and I want then out to the edge of the fender. The spacer is only 11mm, .43". They also have 16mm, .63" but that may be to much.

Thoughts.

#55 ·
My aftermarket rims which claims to be flushed to the fenders (still waiting on them as they are backordered) have the following offsets. So my guess is if you can find out the offset on the V rims and add in the spacer size, as long as you are close to the specs below, I think you should be good.

front 35mm
rear 27mm

#56 · (Edited)
Well I though the pin kit was going to be the holdup but everything is here for the front and some for the rear. But I'm still waiting for Goodridge to make a set of braided steel lines for a CTS-V. When they arrive I will do the first installment (Front) of my "show and tell" on the Brembo (V) brake install on the CTS.

I also want to install 1/2 in longer wheel studs while I have the front hubs off for future 1/2 in spacer. I have not located any yet. Please help me if you can. M14-1.50 thread, 16mm knurl, 70mm total length.

Sorry but I have to split it into two installments so I can suck another $1000 from my budget for the remaining rear parts. I don't drive much so I will do with the big front and stock rear for a month or so.

#58 · (Edited)
Good advise X E Ryder. I don't track my car nor am I investing $3000 in brakes totally for looks although that does play a large role. I'm very hard on brakes. I tend to charge an upcoming stop then slam the brakes. My wife hates me!

I had an occasion to put the stock brakes to the test on a road trip last week when a dump truck, with pickup on it's tail, entered the interstate on a VERY (should be illegal) short ramp at a very slow speed. I'm in the right lane doing 60 with a 18 wheeler on my left. No accident but those brakes suck.

Anyway, to be honest, looks played >50% in my decision to do this mod and I'm sure anyone contemplating doing it will finds their own reason. The bottom line is that you cannot have to much brake on a 4K lb car.

The list below (#56) is 99.9% correct. I can say for sure the part numbers are correct. I'm still short the brake lines and got another backorder delay from Goodridge (via Wundercarparts.com) until 1 July for shipping. I would not put these brakes on and feed them with the OEM lines. However, I will start posting the mod for the front next week using the stock lines for a couple of weeks. The rear will follow and hopefully the lines will be in by then.

There are options for Rotors, Lines, and Pads that can save $$$ depending on your needs. Or you can spend even more and go with drilled/slotted Rotors or Silver or Red Calipers. Silver is bout $100 each more then the Yellow and the Red are not offered except on GM Parts at about twice the price of Yellow. Why, I have no clue. I did notice the piston kit for the calipers are listed by caliper color. So I figure the piston size is progressively larger on the Silver and Red. Thoughts?

This all started when I saw the JDP kit and thought it was a great price. And it is, but it does not include some parts necessary on a street car, backing plates for one, the rear one includes the parking brake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.