Cadillac Owners Forum banner

JDP CTS-V Stage 2 6-Piston Upgrade Package on CTS

12K views 59 replies 9 participants last post by  Mistercoffee2 
#1 ·
Search, search and no find so I'll ask. Has anyone done the JDP CTS-V Stage 2 6-Piston (or any other) brake Upgrade Package on their CTS. Below is email to/from JDP.

My question:

Is it possible to fit your CTS-V Stage2 brakes kit to a 2008 CTS sedan with 19" CTS-V wheels.

If not, what else will I need to change?

Reply:

Hi David,

The CTS-V package would be a direct bolt-on to your CTS. We can also leave the CTS-V silver with the logo if you'd like. Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions. I appreciate your interest in our products and have a great day!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley | JDP Motorsports | President
888-308-6007 Toll Free | 801-545-4215 Phone | 801-545-4217 Fax
jordan@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com

See less See more
#57 ·
It only takes 15 minutes of hard use on the stock brakes - even the touring brakes - to basicly melt the pads onto the oem rotors.

The same thing happened to my Charger with oem rotors and calipers, with EBC yellowstuff pads - 4 laps at Laguna Seca - mush.

A brake upgrade is required for hard use or track days on any car over 4k #'s I would suggest.

You CAN get away with only doing the fronts - all the weight transfers there anyway under hard braking and the ABS system just bias' away the rear grab of bigger brakes. Those of you who have tracked your cars probably remember that the rear brakes are nearly unaffected by the use, while the fronts suffered miserably.

One suggestion for anyone tracking your car; use the oem 1 piece rotors. Even with upgraded calipers and pads you will need to drop the front rotors in the trash at the end of the day. This gets cost prohibitive quickly with 2 piece or afternarket rotors. It bummed me out when my 2 piece willwood rotors were anniliated in 1 track day, I keep them around as a reminder. The rotor marking paint indicated 1300 o F was reached!

Nice job on the list, and don't forget this opens your Pad choices up Big time! Finally, never run race pads on the street, you will literally sand down your rotors to nothing in a week!

#3 ·
Sure you can ask. First, if it were just for appearance I would be in the wrong thread. LOL Second, I live in Texas where big is always better. LOL again.

Seriously, it will take my 3.6 longer to get to 100 MPH but when there, the V and my car have the same problem. Getting back to zero. if you think about it, having bigger brakes on a 4000# car can't be a bad thing. Are they worth the money? That depends on how much disposable money you have or what your priorities are for what you do have. (I guess if I had a lot of disposable money I would have bought a V to start with but that's on my bucket list)

They also look REALLY GOOD in red.

Has anyone done the mod? I'm saving my 380,000 pennies.

#5 ·
I'm totally with you bro, you don't need a big engine to achieve enough speed to need better brakes, specially if you enjoy aggressive and/or sport driving (including autocross and track days). So if it can be done GO FOR IT!!! I wish it can be done so I can eventually upgrade my car as well!!!

#7 ·
Only 379,999 pennies to go.

I'm totally with you bro, you don't need a big engine to achieve enough speed to need better brakes, specially if you enjoy aggressive and/or sport driving (including autocross and track days). So if it can be done GO FOR IT!!! I wish it can be done so I can eventually upgrade my car as well!!!
I only wish someone who has done it would chime in.

#8 ·
I am in the same boat as you. Been searching everywhere for this to no avail. So far my only option is a 9k Brembo aftermarket kit. That's just insane. I tried that jdpmotorsports link but once I am in and click on anything else, I get a "Oops! This link appears to be broken." Are you getting the same thing?

#9 ·
Yes, I have the same problem. I called JDP and they are aware of the issue and will have it up soon.

While they were on the phone they verified with Jordan Priestley that this is a bolt on kit on the CTS. You must have wheel clearance so verify that with the info on the site. I have 19's from the CTS-V Coupe and the stock brakes look like they came off a Smart Car.

This is a beautiful kit for a reasonable price.

#15 · (Edited)
Nice if you can do it. Most big junk yards are connected with sone sort of "Junk R Us" network that allows then to find parts from around the country. I tried a few of them when I started getting hot for these brakes. No luck.

Good luck and let me know if you find two sets.

I talked to JDP again today and they can't say when the site will be up.

#19 ·
I did a little research into this also a while back.
Learned 2 more things:
1) Many V owners use the 18 inch CTS wheels for track day wheels, so they clear the Brembo calipers.
2) A lister told me the spindles were exactly the same among all models, even the V's still have the center hole for the 4 wheel drive axles.

Couldn't find anything out about the hubs though. They may or may not be the same.

Good luck and keep us posted!

----------

All right, update.
Just did a quick gmpartsonline search and they list different hubs & bearings at all 4 corners for the V vs the CTS.
No part numbers. $229 ea.

#22 ·
Okay, the two numbers you listed are for 2007 down. The GM numbers for those are 89047726 and 89047743.

I use www.tonkinonlineparts.com for reference because they list by ACDelco and GM numbers.

On their page enter the number in "Search Words or Parts"

Please edit your reply and remove the quoted info. I changed it below and added the GM numbers for the calipers.
I make changes as I find them. I have to update the brake lines as well, the listed ones are not correct.

Thanks for checking.

#24 · (Edited)
Here is what I came up with for all the parts needed (I hope). All from Amazon except bolts from www.Gmpartsonline.net and brake lines from www.wundercarparts.com
Just to be sure, a friend at a local dealer is going to loan me a front Caliper and Rotor to dry fit and check clearances.
If that goes well then, and only then, will I say it's a go and order the parts below.

PARTS LIST UPDATED ELSEWHERE IN THIS THREAD

You will also need 3-4 pints of your chose of fluid.

I chose the 2 piece front rotors because I like them. There are a lot of 1 and 2 piece, drilled, slotted and drilled & slotted
rotors so do some searches and let me know what you find. I also chose the Yellow Calipers because they are the cheapest
and I will have them powder coated anyway (RED) and get rid of the V logos, taboo on a non-V, in favor of Brembo.

I will order 4 sets (8) speed bleeders because I'm a jerk and have no friends to help me bleed the brakes.

EDIT: Cleaned this up a little.

#26 · (Edited)
I truly know nothing about rotors but $530 less then the GM rotors is a lot of money. They look very good but there has got to be a lot of cheep Chinese knockoffs out there, not that these are, but who knows.

How about these? Probably not on my car but hell they may be good for a year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-FRONT-2-R...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae652e5b2&vxp=mtr

However,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EScxcSJ2YQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKsWMiqujYI

When I get the 2 piece sample for fitment test I may change my mind and go with a 1 piece front rotor..

I will post pictures.

#31 ·
When I started this I had every intension of getting the JDP kit in red with Brembo logo. But realizing their kit was made up of GM parts I started looking around the net and put this list together. The JDP kit is $1000 more and they deserve that for pulling the parts together in one bolt on kit.

I will go with the parts because I deserve to save the $1000 for collecting all the info into one place. Took many hours, a lot of coffee and an angry wife. I have updated it many times but now feel it is as good as it gets.

My friend was unable to obtain the Caliper and Rotor so I ordered them from Amazon, should be here Saturday. If things go well with the test I will continue.

Some things are really hard to find. You would not think it would be a problem finding Speed Bleeders for the CTV-V. I spent hours yesterday (did I say I'm 71 and retired), on the net and phone, and could not fine a supplier that could tell me for sure their product will fit. I will have to wait until the caliper arrives and measure the bleeder valve that comes with it.

#32 · (Edited)
I checked and the front calipers (2) in Silver are $100 more then the Yellow. I will have mine powder coated Red before install or go with Yellow which may look good on a Black car. When I look at this list and realize what the front 2 piece rotors cost I question my decision to use them for my street only 3.6 CTS.

EDIT: Amazon charges tax only in AZ, CA, KS, KY, NY, ND, PA, TX and WA. If you do not live there you will save about $200 in taxes.

#35 · (Edited)
The first parts arrived this evening. Much to late for the test fitting. That will have to wait until Tuesday due to other commitments.

I was not ready for the share size of these things. The rotor is very heavy and the caliper is very light. I will weigh them.
EDIT: Rotor 26.2, Caliper 8.8, 35.0 total

Thought I had better put something in for reference.

If you had questions about the origin of the Calipers. Little hard to read, Made in Italy - Brembo

#40 ·
#41 · (Edited)
I'm glad you ask. If you look at the bottom of that Amazon page for the 12238 kit you will see that it is part number GS12242. Not the correct set, thanks Amazon.

http://www.wundercarparts.com/ 888-986-3373 has said they will provide the correct kit for $155 shipped.

The bolts are at http://www.gmpartsonline.net/, just enter the pars number in search. I am not even sure yet if we have to replace the bolts. I will fit the front rotor and caliper tomorrow.

As for the pads. I have the same question. The rear pads are very expensive and show a cable in the photo. Having yet to look at the rear brake I can only guess it is a built in wear indicator. I cannot find anywhere that confirms that. I will have to call Hawk. If this price is for one wheel then I won't be using Hawk pads.

Please help if fine these parts cheeper.

Here is the latest list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.