JDP CTS-V Stage 2 6-Piston Upgrade Package on CTS - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, JDP CTS-V Stage 2 6-Piston Upgrade Package on CTS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Mistercoffee2, in case you can't tell. Me and probably a lot of other forum members are really thankful for what ...
    Jagillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe
    Mistercoffee2, in case you can't tell. Me and probably a lot of other forum members are really thankful for what you just did. I have been wanting to do this on my coupe since I took delivery on my car. I knew that it would be a pricey venture but now I have an exact cost and will start saving my pennies and when I have to replace my brakes or have enough set aside ill be doing the exact same thing!

Thanks again. Look forward to seeing the DIY

Jag

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: JDP CTS-V Stage 2 6-Piston Upgrade Package on CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Jagillac View Post
    Mistercoffee2, in case you can't tell. Me and probably a lot of other forum members are really thankful for what you just did. I have been wanting to do this on my coupe since I took delivery on my car. I knew that it would be a pricey venture but now I have an exact cost and will start saving my pennies and when I have to replace my brakes or have enough set aside ill be doing the exact same thing!

Thanks again. Look forward to seeing the DIY

Jag
    Thank you very much. It was a labor of love and I enjoyed the search. I'm sure there will be more changes to the parts list coming. Hopefully people will come up with suppliers with better prices. Like the brake lines. $163 is a lot but they are the best (?) and I have not found many suppliers.

I have developed a tooth problem in the last few days and I know when I get to the dentist the bill will be half what this mod cost. I'm telling you this because my pockets are not that deep (no, not seeking donations lol) so I ordered only the parts to do the front end as Part 1 of the DIY (I will try to complete part 1 by end of May) and the rear a few weeks later as Part 2 (maybe by the end of June if the dentist lets me keep a few bucks).

Does anyone have thoughts on the drivability of the car with the stock brakes in the rear and V brakes up front?

Thanks for your kind words.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercoffee2 View Post
    A sticker under clear.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection I think they are painted in some way, like silk screen, before the clear. Very sharp edges. I will sand them off, repaint Yellow, install Brembo sticker, and clear.
    It's called pad printing. Very good at reproducing high detail on odd shaped items.

Quote Originally Posted by HurstGN View Post
    It's called pad printing. Very good at reproducing high detail on odd shaped items.
    Thanks for the info. Mine are gone now, sanded off in prep for paint, Brembo logo and and clear. I have Black Brembo stickers coming. That's not a flash hot spot, I got through the yellow to primer in order to get that Pad Painting off. lol

Got some good news and some bad news today. The 2nd front rotor will be here June 3 but the remaining parts to complete the front brakes may be delayed until July 18.

I received the front Splash Guards and was very surprised. They are not what I expected. While looking into these odd things I discovered that there is another Splash Guard on late model CTS-V mounted behind the upright. They cover the hole on the spindle and cost about $15 each. I don't know If we need them.

I also got the rear caliper bolts but not the front.

So I get its a splash guard but really for what and how do they work?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagillac View Post
    So I get its a splash guard but really for what and how do they work?
    I really have no clue why it is shaped like it is. Must be for air flow.

Progress update: I now have all the parts for the front brakes save one. The caliper pin set had a two month backorder on Amazon so I ordered from RockAuto and now get a 4 June ship date from them. They are also available from gmpartsonline.net.

So I'm working on putting the Brembo decals on and high temp clear coat over them.

Also I may install d3 spacers on while I have the hub off. The spacer requires longer lug bolts. I have the CTS-V wheels and I want then out to the edge of the fender. The spacer is only 11mm, .43". They also have 16mm, .63" but that may be to much.

Thoughts.

I honestly don't know how much mine really got pushed out with my Vossen wheels but the off set is perfect. They go right to the edge and it looks so mean!

I'm sure they will help no matter what!

is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD

My aftermarket rims which claims to be flushed to the fenders (still waiting on them as they are backordered) have the following offsets. So my guess is if you can find out the offset on the V rims and add in the spacer size, as long as you are close to the specs below, I think you should be good.

front 35mm
    rear 27mm

Well I though the pin kit was going to be the holdup but everything is here for the front and some for the rear. But I'm still waiting for Goodridge to make a set of braided steel lines for a CTS-V. When they arrive I will do the first installment (Front) of my "show and tell" on the Brembo (V) brake install on the CTS.

I also want to install 1/2 in longer wheel studs while I have the front hubs off for future 1/2 in spacer. I have not located any yet. Please help me if you can. M14-1.50 thread, 16mm knurl, 70mm total length.

Sorry but I have to split it into two installments so I can suck another $1000 from my budget for the remaining rear parts. I don't drive much so I will do with the big front and stock rear for a month or so.

X E Ryder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe, Premium, Touring

Quote Originally Posted by arw1510 View Post
    Can I ask why you are doing this? Is it just for appearance? Since without the power, we don't really need brakes like that.
    It only takes 15 minutes of hard use on the stock brakes - even the touring brakes - to basicly melt the pads onto the oem rotors.

The same thing happened to my Charger with oem rotors and calipers, with EBC yellowstuff pads - 4 laps at Laguna Seca - mush.

A brake upgrade is required for hard use or track days on any car over 4k #'s I would suggest.

You CAN get away with only doing the fronts - all the weight transfers there anyway under hard braking and the ABS system just bias' away the rear grab of bigger brakes. Those of you who have tracked your cars probably remember that the rear brakes are nearly unaffected by the use, while the fronts suffered miserably.

One suggestion for anyone tracking your car; use the oem 1 piece rotors. Even with upgraded calipers and pads you will need to drop the front rotors in the trash at the end of the day. This gets cost prohibitive quickly with 2 piece or afternarket rotors. It bummed me out when my 2 piece willwood rotors were anniliated in 1 track day, I keep them around as a reminder. The rotor marking paint indicated 1300 o F was reached!

Nice job on the list, and don't forget this opens your Pad choices up Big time! Finally, never run race pads on the street, you will literally sand down your rotors to nothing in a week!

Good advise X E Ryder. I don't track my car nor am I investing $3000 in brakes totally for looks although that does play a large role. I'm very hard on brakes. I tend to charge an upcoming stop then slam the brakes. My wife hates me!

I had an occasion to put the stock brakes to the test on a road trip last week when a dump truck, with pickup on it's tail, entered the interstate on a VERY (should be illegal) short ramp at a very slow speed. I'm in the right lane doing 60 with a 18 wheeler on my left. No accident but those brakes suck.

Anyway, to be honest, looks played >50% in my decision to do this mod and I'm sure anyone contemplating doing it will finds their own reason. The bottom line is that you cannot have to much brake on a 4K lb car.

The list below (#56) is 99.9% correct. I can say for sure the part numbers are correct. I'm still short the brake lines and got another backorder delay from Goodridge (via Wundercarparts.com) until 1 July for shipping. I would not put these brakes on and feed them with the OEM lines. However, I will start posting the mod for the front next week using the stock lines for a couple of weeks. The rear will follow and hopefully the lines will be in by then.

There are options for Rotors, Lines, and Pads that can save $$$ depending on your needs. Or you can spend even more and go with drilled/slotted Rotors or Silver or Red Calipers. Silver is bout $100 each more then the Yellow and the Red are not offered except on GM Parts at about twice the price of Yellow. Why, I have no clue. I did notice the piston kit for the calipers are listed by caliper color. So I figure the piston size is progressively larger on the Silver and Red. Thoughts?

This all started when I saw the JDP kit and thought it was a great price. And it is, but it does not include some parts necessary on a street car, backing plates for one, the rear one includes the parking brake.

Quote Originally Posted by X E Ryder View Post
    The rotor marking paint indicated 1300 o F was reached!
    Wow! I have never seen an DOT 13 fluid so I guess yours was boiling. How accurate is the marking paint?

You need one of these: http://www.professionalequipment.com...Dthermocouple/

It has 4 channels so you could put a probe on the front pads and calipers. Also does data logging so you can see what happened before the crash. Like a "Black Box" investigation. lol

This guy built one for his Motor Home: http://home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/brake_monitor.html

I love this stuff! This could be a good mod post. Are you going to do it or shell I?

THIS THREAD IS NOW DEAD. See Install CTS-V Brembo Brakes on CTS Parts 1, 2 and 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.