JDP CTS-V Stage 2 6-Piston Upgrade Package on CTS - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, JDP CTS-V Stage 2 6-Piston Upgrade Package on CTS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by is250sp So if the testing fits will you go with Amazon parts or JDP kit? When I ...
    Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: JDP CTS-V Stage 2 6-Piston Upgrade Package on CTS

Quote Originally Posted by is250sp View Post
    So if the testing fits will you go with Amazon parts or JDP kit?
    When I started this I had every intension of getting the JDP kit in red with Brembo logo. But realizing their kit was made up of GM parts I started looking around the net and put this list together. The JDP kit is $1000 more and they deserve that for pulling the parts together in one bolt on kit.

I will go with the parts because I deserve to save the $1000 for collecting all the info into one place. Took many hours, a lot of coffee and an angry wife. I have updated it many times but now feel it is as good as it gets.

My friend was unable to obtain the Caliper and Rotor so I ordered them from Amazon, should be here Saturday. If things go well with the test I will continue.

Some things are really hard to find. You would not think it would be a problem finding Speed Bleeders for the CTV-V. I spent hours yesterday (did I say I'm 71 and retired), on the net and phone, and could not fine a supplier that could tell me for sure their product will fit. I will have to wait until the caliper arrives and measure the bleeder valve that comes with it.

I checked and the front calipers (2) in Silver are $100 more then the Yellow. I will have mine powder coated Red before install or go with Yellow which may look good on a Black car. When I look at this list and realize what the front 2 piece rotors cost I question my decision to use them for my street only 3.6 CTS.

EDIT: Amazon charges tax only in AZ, CA, KS, KY, NY, ND, PA, TX and WA. If you do not live there you will save about $200 in taxes.

is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD

I agree with the yellow on black as that was my first and only choice. As far as the Speed Bleeders, my friend has an auto shop that's doing the install so I don't really need that part right?

That is correct. Having at least one friend, that is not your wife, can sometimes save you money.

The first parts arrived this evening. Much to late for the test fitting. That will have to wait until Tuesday due to other commitments.

I was not ready for the share size of these things. The rotor is very heavy and the caliper is very light. I will weigh them.
    EDIT: Rotor 26.2, Caliper 8.8, 35.0 total

Thought I had better put something in for reference.

If you had questions about the origin of the Calipers. Little hard to read, Made in Italy - Brembo

Nice! So you decided to go with the OEM V rotors?

Nice! So you decided to go with the OEM V rotors?
    Yes but not with the V logo. As soon as the test fitting is successful I will get the Brembo logo installed.
    Should know on Tuesday. Then I will have to order the other parts. I will post every step through completion.

Should I end this thread and start a DIY thread.

Is the V logo a sticker or painted on?

Is the V logo a sticker or painted on?
    A sticker under clear.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection I think they are painted in some way, like silk screen, before the clear. Very sharp edges. I will sand them off, repaint Yellow, install Brembo sticker, and clear.

When I search for "Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Line Kit #12238" on amazon, the closest one I found is this with a different price than yours. Is this the same thing?

http://www.amazon.com/Goodridge-Stai...e+Kit+%2312238

Also I cant find the Caliper Bolts GM. Do you have the link for that? And finally, for the pads, do I need 2 sets each for a total of 4 orders?

When I search for "Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Line Kit #12238" on amazon, the closest one I found is this with a different price than yours. Is this the same thing?

http://www.amazon.com/Goodridge-Stai...e+Kit+%2312238

Also I cant find the Caliper Bolts GM. Do you have the link for that? And finally, for the pads, do I need 2 sets each for a total of 4 orders?
    I'm glad you ask. If you look at the bottom of that Amazon page for the 12238 kit you will see that it is part number GS12242. Not the correct set, thanks Amazon.

http://www.wundercarparts.com/ 888-986-3373 has said they will provide the correct kit for $155 shipped.

The bolts are at http://www.gmpartsonline.net/, just enter the pars number in search. I am not even sure yet if we have to replace the bolts. I will fit the front rotor and caliper tomorrow.

As for the pads. I have the same question. The rear pads are very expensive and show a cable in the photo. Having yet to look at the rear brake I can only guess it is a built in wear indicator. I cannot find anywhere that confirms that. I will have to call Hawk. If this price is for one wheel then I won't be using Hawk pads.

Please help if fine these parts cheeper.

Here is the latest list.

This photo from the Hawk web site show 4 pads. The same photo is used for most all kits. So, 1 kit front and 1 kit rear.

SUCCESS !

The Rotors and Calipers mounted perfectly. But, I forgot about the backing plates. They are much to small. New ones are about $12.00 each (25949512 Right and 25949513 Left) and I will be updating the parts list.

Take a look at the distance from the rotor to the bolt in the upright with old and new rotors. There is no problem, the bolt is well behind the rotor but this shows how much bigger these rotors are.

The bolts are 1/2" X 2". Unless your bolts are rusted, I see no reason to replace them. Mine are like new. Your call.

The brake line will connect to the new caliper. If you like the rubber lines for street only driving then you can use them. If you want the best brake feel possible then replace them.

I had a little trouble getting the Torx screw out of the rotor. My T25 fit a little loose so it may be a T27.

I'm guess the rear backing plates will also have to be replaced and they mount the parking brake and cost about $65 each. GM 24851205 and 25851190. Won't know for sure until I get the rear parts and take a look at it.

I also found a Phoenix Systems brake bleeding kit burred in my shed. I got it in Aug 2004 (receipt in box) and never used it. May try it. Can be used to push or pull the fluid.

All said, it looks like there are no problems that cannot be overcome so I'm ordering more parts.

Awesome! Keep up the good work....I am drooling

Can you take a pic of the V and non-V caliper side by side for comparison?

Awesome! Keep up the good work....I am drooling

Can you take a pic of the V and non-V caliper side by side for comparison?
    Yes I will when the parts get here and I remove the old calipers. My car is back together now.

Here is the latest parts list with the backing plates and updated prices. I think Amazon may have the front backing plates but the photo was not correct so I went with GM. Replacing the backing plate requires removal of the hub because the plate is under it.

I will continue to chat here and when the parts arrive I will start a DIY MOD Thread and do a photo step by step thing

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.