DIY - How to install Lowering Springs (Eibach Pro-kit)on your 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, DIY - How to install Lowering Springs (Eibach Pro-kit)on your 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; My installation of the Eibach Pro-kit (part# 38146.140 - 0.8"/0.9" drop) BEFORE - STOCK with OE wheels/tires AFTER - Eibach ...
    btlfedcts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Sedan, 2012 CTS Coupe

DIY - How to install Lowering Springs (Eibach Pro-kit)on your 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe

My installation of the Eibach Pro-kit (part# 38146.140 - 0.8"/0.9" drop)

BEFORE - STOCK with OE wheels/tires

AFTER - Eibach Pro-Kit with OE wheels/tires

AFTER - Eibach Pro-Kit with TSW 20" Interlagos / Toyo Proxes T1R

Eibach aftermarket spring to OEM spring comparison

OEM spring
    - Linear single rate spring

Eibach spring
    - Progressive rate spring

The change to a progressive rate spring translates into a smooth comfortable ride while driving modestly and a stiffer rate will get engaged when driving more aggressively when body wants to roll, dive and squat more. This technology is actually derived from motorsports by stacking springs of different rates to provide the best balance of mechanical grip. The result is having the best of both worlds in one suspension kit.

OEM spring
    - 7.00 lbs (front)
    - 7.40 lbs (rear)

Eibach spring
    - 9.20 lbs (front)
    - 10.05 lbs (rear)

The OEM springs have increased mass due to the additional coils and heavier coils. To reduce body roll, nose dive and squat a heavier spring rate is required. To lower the center of gravity with a heavier spring rate the working rate of the spring will need to be shorter, however additional coils are required to take up the travel to full droop (to prevent the spring from popping out of its spring perch) and add some progressivity.

(Information derived from an interview with Eibach Suspension)
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: DIY - How to install Lowering Springs (Eibach Pro-kit)on your 2012 Cadillac CTS C

FRONT SUSPENSION REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

FOLLOW OEM JACKING AND/OR LIFTING PROCEDURES *This can be done just as easily on jack stands however I am using a lift for convenience.

Step 1 - Front Suspension, Strut tower removal

Remove the side engine compartment plastics.

Remove the strut tower brace by removing 1 bolt and 1 nut from each side and remove the brace.

The strut tower should like this once removed.

Step 2 - Front Suspension, Strut Assembly removal

Remove the wheels / tires.

Remove the lower strut to control arm bolts being mindful of the brake line location through the rest of the install.

Remove the upper control arm upper ball joint nut.

Remove the stud and remaining 3 bolts (including the one on the side of the strut tower)

Remove the the upper control arm, strut and coil assembly

Step 3 - Front Suspension, Strut Assembly teardown

Using a coil spring compressor, compress the spring as per instructions and remove the upper strut bolt.

Note coil spring clocking and position of the coil and spring perch

Step 4 - Front Suspension, Strut Assembly reassembly

Using a coil spring compressor, compress the Eibach spring as per instructions and re-install over the strut making note again of the coil and perch positions.

Reinstall the the upper strut bolt and tighten noting the control arm position.

Step 5 - Front Suspension, Strut Assembly installation

Pull the spindle and brake assembly out of the way making note of the brake lines and ABS sensor harness

Reinstall the strut assembly and replace the ball joint nut.

Besure to note the brake line retainer bracket upon installation of the lower control arm bolts.

[IMG] and reinstall the stud and 3 bolts leaving out the bolt for the strut tower.[/IMG]

Be sure the two nylon pins are aligned correctly.

Reinstall the stud and 3 bolts leaving out the bolt for the strut tower.

Step 6 - Front Suspension, Strut tower installation

Reinstall the strut tower noting the position of the bolts in the strut tower slotted holes

Replace the side engine compartment plastics.

TORQUE ALL BOLTS TO OEM SPECIFICATIONS AND CHECK ALL HOSES AND HARNESSES.

Re: DIY - How to install Lowering Springs (Eibach Pro-kit)on your 2012 Cadillac CTS C

REAR SUSPENSION REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

FOLLOW OEM JACKING AND/OR LIFTING PROCEDURES *This can be done just as easily on jack stands however I am using a lift for convenience.

Step 1 - Rear Suspension, sway bar / lower control arm disconnect

Remove the sway bar nuts on both side and disconnect the sway bar links from the lower control arm.

With the lower control arm supported by a spin jack or floor jack remove the lower control arm to spindle bolt

Step 2 - Rear Suspension, Spring removal

Once the spring tension is relieved, carefully pry the lower control arm down and pull out the stock spring.

Step 3 - Rear Suspension, Spring installation

Install the Eibach Spring noting the notches in the spring cup on the control arm and the locator in the upper pocket.

Step 4 - Rear Suspension, Sway bar and lower control arm reassembly

Using the floor jack or spin jack, support the lower control arm and compress the spring aligning the lower control arm and spindle.

Replace the lower control arm bolt and sway bar nut.

TORQUE ALL BOLTS TO OEM SPECIFICATIONS AND CHECK ALL HOSES AND HARNESSES.[COLOR="Silver"][COLOR="Silver"]

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Nicely done.

Did you consider coilovers? Why did you not get coilovers? Most probably price.

I considered coilovers and had them on my last Gen 5 Camaro project car but it was a value issue. I don't track the CTS and the ride height I have now is about as low as I would like to go. I have no issues with driveways, speed bumps and the ride is still more luxury than the Vette even with the low profile Proxes T1Rs

I definitely see the value in performance of a coilover but in this case just doesn't make sense. I am however looking at the coilover conversion for my 2004 Z06 project as this car only sees roads on weekends to and from Buttonwillow and local autocross events ... here the adjustability in ride height and ease to change springs for big tracks vs autocross makes sense for the cost. In addition, I have not seen a wide selection of aftermarket coilover set-ups for the CTS and see few CTSs even at the track and none with coilovers set-ups. For the most part this is my commuter car.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

I have been told KW makes a set for our cars.

TrimThis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 TG CTS Coupe

Nice write up. I have the same set up. Just low enough to not wipe out the splitter on curbs/parking stops. Not much change in the ride, and improved looks.

Dano636 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe RWD Black

Awesome DIY thread good job

The purpose of this vehicle is just that ... improved looks and near stock functionality.

The MagnaFlow exhaust is not invasive and satisfies my desire for a performance "experience" when i get into the throttle and nearly disappears when i'm just cruising around.
    The Eibach springs compliment the looks and firm up the ride a little for some spirited driving on the road. This is not my drag car or my track car.
    The TSWs and Toyos give me an aggressive look and add that performance "experience" when I find that corner or patch of twisties on the way home.

The CTS by no means a dominant "street machine" but it makes me smile when I see her, when I push the pedal and enter the corner a little hot and she gives me just enough exhilaration to keep the track toys where they belong and a in the end she's a Cadillac and ever bit of the interior is welcoming and comfortable for the long and short rides.

99flhr is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by btlfedcts View Post
    and a in the end it`s a Cadillac.
    I have to agree with btlfedcts. ( and applaud an excellent DIY)
    And will offer this reverse analogy, back when the Earth was still cooling I had an MBG, was never tempted to add power windows..
    I believe the contemporary phrase applies: "It is what it it is"

2 months and loving every moment ... Getting a feel for the new stance and pushing it a little harder. First track day is 28 days away and counting.

shmiddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 DI CTS

Would the steps be nearly the same for a sedan?

Kenny9123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

Alignment after?

Quote Originally Posted by shmiddy View Post
    Would the steps be nearly the same for a sedan?
    Yes! I also had the same kit on my 2010 3.0L sedan.

----------

The alignment was not optimal for tire wear after the drop however the additional negative camber felt good for hard cornering and spirited driving.

Thunder V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V coupe
    Is there a problem using the eibachs with the magnetic ride control?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.