DIY - How to install Lowering Springs (Eibach Pro-kit)on your 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, DIY - How to install Lowering Springs (Eibach Pro-kit)on your 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by Kenny9123 Alignment after? Did you have to have an alignment after the install?...
    jpsomnermd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe 3.6 Performance

Re: DIY - How to install Lowering Springs (Eibach Pro-kit)on your 2012 Cadillac CTS C

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny9123 View Post
    Alignment after?
    Did you have to have an alignment after the install?

btlfedcts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Sedan, 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: DIY - How to install Lowering Springs (Eibach Pro-kit)on your 2012 Cadillac CTS C

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder V View Post
    Is there a problem using the eibachs with the magnetic ride control?
    Not so sure there is a "problem" but there are definitely some considerations to make. You will need to consider modifying the sensors for the new ride height and then look at how well the car preforms with less stroke. I would debate the effectiveness of ride height to achieve an increase in performance. If its for aesthetics primarily then you should be fine.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jpsomnermd View Post
    Did you have to have an alignment after the install?
    The alignment was not bad but definitely not best for tire wear. I would recommend an alignment.

RP37 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS performance

Hi, I have a 2012 CTS sedan RWD performance w/FE-2 suspension. Disappointed with its ride, can onloy imagine what the FE-1 is like. Can I gather from your experience with the Eibach springs that I can expect to eliminate some of the roll when cornering. The lower look is great but I'm hopeful to flatten things out a bit upon turn in. Thanks,

RP

Yes the roll is significantly changed. You will notice a much flatter feel to the car during cornering all the way up to the point where you cause the car to break and the transition to slide is very predictable. Even with the invasive traction control on its much more fun.

RP37 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS performance

Thank you, now I just have to find the right mechanic to do the job. Can I assume the springs will eliminate some of the wallowy/ride softness experienced on some road surfaces? Any suggestions on swaybars. I saw some on D3 for $695. I was wondering if the bars from CTS V will fit.

jpsomnermd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe 3.6 Performance

Just installed the Pro-kit per this DIY write-up without a hitch. Thanks for posting! One minor snag, though, when trying to get the upper strut bolt off - a quick internet search showed that I had to use a spark plug socket and hex key to remove the bolt.

I had an air impact gun which negated the necessity for the Strut nut removal kit or spark plug socket and hex key. Good note!

is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD

I am thinking of going with coilovers and noticed the rear in our cars only have springs with no strut/shocks. How would coilovers work for the rears?

Quote Originally Posted by is250sp View Post
    I am thinking of going with coilovers and noticed the rear in our cars only have springs with no strut/shocks. How would coilovers work for the rears?
    The CTS has dampeners on all corners of course but in the rear the shock is separate from the coil. Ever suspension company will approach this differently however, mot commonly they will replace the coil and have an adjustable perch and a new dampener.

Check this link for my notes/comments on Coilovers.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3247620

*CTS* is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 10 CTS Wagon

Great write up. Thanks......I'll be doing this

leroy_ctscoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

That looks great. Thanks for posting the step by step process. SICK CTS Coupe!

jamiejam1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS COUPE Performance W/Navi

Looks great! I have the kit waiting to go in myself.. Question I have is how bad is the cambering in the rear & Front? Is there any seriously poor wear on the tires? ( Is the camber adjustable on the car or does anyone make a camber kit for the car to address the negative camber? although id expect a little more wear, I don't want to constantly eat up 600.00 in tires every 5 months... Input please!

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

I have seen alignment kits available for the CTS... In fact, they are recommended if you lower the car.. In addition to the lowering, I think larger sway bars are a must.... Also get rid of the OEM tires. And then slowly replace the OEM bushings at specific points with poly bushings. One thing I liked about my 2010 CTS with the FE1 was the steering ratio. Better than the 2013 with the FE2, had a heavier feel to it... Improved tires would be a great help.

is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer Leader View Post
    I have seen alignment kits available for the CTS... In fact, they are recommended if you lower the car.. In addition to the lowering, I think larger sway bars are a must.... Also get rid of the OEM tires. And then slowly replace the OEM bushings at specific points with poly bushings. One thing I liked about my 2010 CTS with the FE1 was the steering ratio. Better than the 2013 with the FE2, had a heavier feel to it... Improved tires would be a great help.
    Can you provide links to camber kits for 2nd CTS as I haven't been able to find any

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jamiejam1 View Post
    Looks great! I have the kit waiting to go in myself.. Question I have is how bad is the cambering in the rear & Front? Is there any seriously poor wear on the tires? ( Is the camber adjustable on the car or does anyone make a camber kit for the car to address the negative camber? although id expect a little more wear, I don't want to constantly eat up 600.00 in tires every 5 months... Input please!
    I haven't been able to find any camber kits for our cars and mine is lowered on coilovers at least 2.5" drop. I did get an alignment but they were only able to adjust the toe. My tires lasted exactly one year.

jamiejam1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS COUPE Performance W/Navi

Quote Originally Posted by is250sp View Post
    Can you provide links to camber kits for 2nd CTS as I haven't been able to find any

----------

I haven't been able to find any camber kits for our cars and mine is lowered on coilovers at least 2.5" drop. I did get an alignment but they were only able to adjust the toe. My tires lasted exactly one year.
    Got mine in Last night What a difference .8 & .9 can make. The ride is nice and tight, The only thing I noticed was it was not really bouncy in the back but it was a touch more reactive to bumps.. I guess having not been on Eibachs for the last 6 years I have to get used to the ride again.
    In the turns ( I did a Nascar scrub (weaving) as soon as I got it off the jack stands)) and I can tell you the reaction of the steering is SUPURB!
    Very responsive no creaks noises or other!

Heres a pic Post drop.. BTW When I put on the rims and Tires, I put on a 20" rim but went with a 40 Series tire. I did this to Increase the cars actual height to 1/8" above OEM Height this filled the wheel well a little more. Additionally I wanted to slightly smoother ride ( Like a cadi' not a dropped civic***.) After the kit went on, it dropped the Body .8" but the realized drop is about a 1/2" below OEM Now it stands flushed, Lowered filled Wheel Well, and I can still just clear Parking Bumps and curbs without damaging anything on the front end.. The filled wheel well makes it look lower than it actually is.. Mission accomplished!

Oh and FTW I painted the calipers Brembo Red just to offset the black color, Silver Rims, with a little contrast... Eventually I will get a new set of Calipers and have them Powdercoated till I have an extra 8K for a BBK.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.