Camaro Short Shifter??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Camaro Short Shifter?? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi, does anybody know if a short shifter for a V6 Camaro would fit my 2011 CTS Coupe?? Also anybody ...
    Guyver280z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe 6 Speed

Camaro Short Shifter??

Hi, does anybody know if a short shifter for a V6 Camaro would fit my 2011 CTS Coupe?? Also anybody with D3 lowering springs here?? Thoughts, good? Bad? Worth it??

Thanks everybody!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cawengr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual

Re: Camaro Short Shifter??

The first one in the reply above could fit. The second one is nowhere close to what is in our cars.

Ok cool, but is there a way to know if it will work? Its the same transmission for canaros,right??

I had replaced the stock shifter on my 2005 cts with a B&M short shifter and it turned out well. I have not seen a ad for our specific application. Caddy changed the configuration of the spherical bushing on the 2011 but I don't know if it is the same as the Camaro. The current Caddy shifter feels a lot tighter than the original 2005 unit so I am not in a hurry to mess with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cawengr View Post
    I had replaced the stock shifter on my 2005 cts with a B&M short shifter and it turned out well. I have not seen a ad for our specific application. Caddy changed the configuration of the spherical bushing on the 2011 but I don't know if it is the same as the Camaro. The current Caddy shifter feels a lot tighter than the original 2005 unit so I am not in a hurry to mess with it.
    Well, from what I read the New Camaro and the New CTS share both the same 3.6 engine and the AISIN 6 speed transmision, but I wonder if the mounting ppoints on the car's body are the same or not

I think the CTS feels very sporty but the shifter's throw is so long, it could really use the sort throw... Anybody???

Thanks!!

Well, you got my interest going and I bought a 2" knob from TWM Performance, the Phantom model, pricy but good quality. The knob came with a threaded adapter that fits over the straight stock shaft. I did not like the adapter they sent so I made my own out of a 3/4" stainless bolt and it worked nice but it was still too tall. I only got about 1/2" shorter. this weekend I cut 1 3/8" off the OEM shaft and made a new shorter adapter and I think I hit it well, overall height reduction from stock is 1 7/8". Very crisp shifting a little more effort but now I can flip the shifter with my fingers instead of pulling it with my arm. Greatly reduced throw, as good or better than the B&M in my 05.
    Attached Images

AWESOME!!! So it fits!!!

Does that means every short shifter made for a new V6 Camaro should fit, right?? Do you have any photos from the installation??

I am sooo getting this for my car in a couple weeks after I install my H&R springs.

Thanks a lot man!!!

I think you need to read my thread again.
    I just bought the 2" knob. I then made a adapter for the knob that positions the boot down away from the knob.
    I tried this out for a while and found the knob was still too high.
    I cut the original Caddy shifter about 1 3/8 and made a second adapter for the knob
    The final result is the stock shifter with a round knob lowered 1 7/8" from the original Caddy knob.
    If you are interested I can include pictures of what I did.
    FYI I believe the reason there are no short aftermarket shifters around is that the Caddy OEM shifter has an approximate 2" offset to the rear from the fulcrum bearing to the centerline of the stick. My 2005 was a straight shot all the way down.

leigh1322 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 3.6 D.I. FE-3 6M Red

I went thru this too.
    The Hurst one fits the Camaro and the G8.
    The fulcrum points may or may not be the same on a CTS.
    What I disliked most was the odd shaped factory shift ball.
    I replaced mine with a lighweight black plastic ball unit (Sickspeed) with the "Camaro" V6 shift pattern grooved in the top.
    Same pattern as a CTS.
    Stock CTS stick has no threads.
    Left mine stock height (for now).
    The shifter bushing is much improved from gen 1 models.
    If it ever fails I'll replace the factory rubber busher with uerathane, custom trimmed to fit.
    Removing the ridiculously heavy solid metal shit knob (like 12 oz) means much easier fingertip shifts and no more missed gears.
    ebay
    autoproswarehouse
    Absolutely worth it!

leigh1322 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 3.6 D.I. FE-3 6M Red

You could easily cut the shaft to shorten the throw, since there are no threads on it.ball shifter.jpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.