Anyone with a D3 CAI - Issues with oil leakage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By sdobert
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Anyone with a D3 CAI - Issues with oil leakage in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I installed the D3 CAI about 3 years ago and now at 60K+ miles on the CTS I am having ...
    Nivek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Black\Ebony PDQ\FE3

Anyone with a D3 CAI - Issues with oil leakage

I installed the D3 CAI about 3 years ago and now at 60K+ miles on the CTS I am having issues with the engine. So far the dealer has claimed oil from the KN filter screwed up my MAF sensor and they also think it may be hampering the throttle body. Anyone have issues with D3s CAI? It has been on there for probably 40K miles and cleaned/recharged once in that time frame. It claims to only need recharging 50Kish miles.

I was talking to the mechanic (not service advisor) this morning and he told me they have had few after market CAI do this and it was the oil in them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

X E Ryder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe, Premium, Touring
    Who did the re-oil of the filter?

Excessive oil is to blame for a ton of problems.

I've reached the point where I just throw away my k&n at 50k and buy another.

I don't trust that all the supposed particles are gone when you clean and re-oil. I don't think the cloth ever flows as well after recharge - its never as light and clear again. I've also never had oil bleed through from one.

JusJZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Couple Manual
    What year CTS?

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    Quote Originally Posted by JusJZ
    What year CTS?
    According to his profile 2009

sdobert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-4

Re: Anyone with a D3 CAI - Issues with oil leakage

I worked in air induction and intake manifold systems for an automotive supplier for many years and we had done a few studies on the "reusable" filter elements and found that with each cleaning and re-oiling that the pressure drop was only slightly affected, but the big thing was that the dust capacity and filter efficiency was significantly lower. If I remember correctly, manufacture oiling, the efficiency was ~98% while after the first re-oiling dropped to ~80%with the next oiling dropping to ~65%. Now this study was done around 8 years ago, so the manufactures may have changed the media/oil combination to provide better efficiency now a day. We also did notice when testing these filters to a media migration specification that the oil would migrate through the media resulting in a greater chance for oil to build up on the hot wire in the mass air flow sensor.
    ktr-sb and ktr-sb like this.

Dano636 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe RWD Black

Every time ive cleaned my K&N it never looks as good, finally decided to not F with it and just buy a new filter every 30000ish miles

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

^What he says.....Or get a dry reusable and replace it as needed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.