Volant cold air intake kit for 3.6 Who has one???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Volant cold air intake kit for 3.6 Who has one??? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Modding time The search function only shows a couple results and some of the info is scattered in different threads ...
    CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Volant cold air intake kit for 3.6 Who has one???

Modding time
    The search function only shows a couple results and some of the info is scattered in different threads so I am asking my questions in here..

This is the kit my b.f. specifically picked out..
    Looking for some input and opinions if you own the Volant Cold air intake kit for 08-11 3.6 http://www.volant.com/edetail.asp?ID=731

Looking for fitment and quality opinions of this specific kit due to it having a Air duct that actually draws air from out side of the car..
    And I see it has an option for a 2nd duct that can be attached to it..

The install directions are not available anywhere online and all Volant has posted is the Parts sheet for the kit

The website says it is only for 08-09 CTS models but I have to assume it is also for 10 & 11"s??

From what I could gather using the search function and spaced out through different thread no specific to that kit is the duct included ends up behind the grill correct??

Any one have the 2nd duct hooked up to their kit??

I have the abilities here to be able to read and document my CTS's pcm to confirm whether the single duct is sufficient enough or not

Any other information on install, quality of the kit and ect.. would be appreciated before I buy it shortly because it is on sale for $244 and that is a lot cheaper than every one else selling it..

I Already have experience with the Donaldson designed dry flow air filters so I am not worried about that part of the kit..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD
    I have it in my '08 CTS4, and I hate it. Filter isn't secured in the air box at all. The "scoop" is a pain in the ass to install. Get a D3 intake... If I hadn't spent several hundred dollars on this one already, I would buy a D3.
    PTong88 likes this.

X E Ryder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe, Premium, Touring

Re: Volant cold air intake kit for 3.6 Who has one???

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_atDell View Post
    I have it in my '08 CTS4, and I hate it. Filter isn't secured in the air box at all. The "scoop" is a pain in the ass to install. Get a D3 intake... If I hadn't spent several hundred dollars on this one already, I would buy a D3.
    Bummer. I thought Volant was high on the food chain.

I did my own mod (found in the 2012+ perf thread) because our airboxes are also used on the 6.2 V - they flow enough with mod.

Might look at the Airaid also, they have a good product.

Quote Originally Posted by X E Ryder View Post
    Bummer. I thought Volant was high on the food chain.

I did my own mod (found in the 2012+ perf thread) because our airboxes are also used on the 6.2 V - they flow enough with mod.

Might look at the Airaid also, they have a good product.
    Yeh I saw your modified air box on here my b.f. did something similar on my G5 GT the difference was around 15 degree's while stopped and idling in the summer time

----------

Not worried about the difficulty with the scoop but could you explain the problem in better detail about the Air filter not securing to the box please??

ajazolino is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS
    I have the volant on my 09, so I can explain, the filter goes into the air box on the left, but it doesn't fit securely into the air box, meaning if you try, you can move the filter around. Nothing major though, it's not going to come out. Another side note, after driving the car hard, I opened the hood and felt the air box, and it was literally freezing to the touch, and everything else was hot. So it does it's job well.

Quote Originally Posted by ajazolino View Post
    I have the volant on my 09, so I can explain, the filter goes into the air box on the left, but it doesn't fit securely into the air box, meaning if you try, you can move the filter around. Nothing major though, it's not going to come out. Another side note, after driving the car hard, I opened the hood and felt the air box, and it was literally freezing to the touch, and everything else was hot. So it does it's job well.
    The filter doesnt have a clamp to hold it in place? or is it just some sort of slip fit with no clamp?
    The parts sheet on their site is very vague

I had a Volant on my Vette and loved it, that's why I bought another one. I think the design is poor.

I had a Volant on my Vette and loved it, that's why I bought another one. I think the design is poor.

What exactly is poor with the design??

I can get the kit new right now on sale for $244 I dunno how long the sale will last..

I don't like the way the filter and air box don't attach...

----------

Where do you live? If you are close, I'll give you my Volant for for stock...

I don't like the way the filter and air box don't attach...

----------

Where do you live? If you are close, I'll give you my Volant for for stock...

Ah so it is slip fit and the filter slides through the box then the rest of the intake kit attache's to it??
    No where close to Texas I am in New Jersey..

I get it now the maf bolts to an adapter and the filter has an adapter that clamps on the out side of the air box that joins the 2 together..
    With some play in the cut out of the box??
    I can make this work we got 3m weather stripping with double sided tape.. We can wrap the part of the adapter that slides through the box with it making a tighter and better sealing fit

No, the filter doesn't attach to the box at all. You just slip it in there with gaps all around it to suck hot air from your engine compartment into your intake.

Jagillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_atDell
    No, the filter doesn't attach to the box at all. You just slip it in there with gaps all around it to suck hot air from your engine compartment into your intake.
    Do you have any photos or could you take some.

It would make it very clear as to how much of a gap etc.

Thanks

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

Cool Re: Volant cold air intake kit for 3.6 Who has one???

I have the Volant set up and like the fact that it draws cold air from the grill instead of from under the hood. Also, it should provide some sort of ram air effect since the air is forced into the snorkel the faster you are traveling. I am sure I am braking some sort of rule with it but I am using either six #8 or #10 stainless screws to keep the rubber air filter element flange attached to the box. I did not like the slip fit because of possible air leakage as has been mentioned. Volant doesn't want you to screw it together so the filter can move around with the engine but I haven't had any trouble with screwing it together and I have made many full throttle blasts. Yeah, Michael is right, it was a biatch to get the snorkel positioned just behind the grill though and I only want to do that once.

Thanks guys
    loosend your explanation is exactly what my b.f. said when I mentioned the few comments about the filter being loose in the box.

He has stick on foam that can be wrapped around the portion that contacts the box or we also have clip on weather stripping if the plastic where the hole is on the box is thick enough for it to lock on good enough

Thanks for the help guys I ordered it today for $255 shipped

My b.f is going to do a mock up with it to see what you guys are talking about with the loose fitting filter in the housing..
    If you want to see how he corrects it just let me know and I will get a picture or 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.