Volant cold air intake kit for 3.6 Who has one??? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Volant cold air intake kit for 3.6 Who has one??? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; If he can fix it, let me know......
    Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD
    If he can fix it, let me know...

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Re: Volant cold air intake kit for 3.6 Who has one???

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_atDell View Post
    If he can fix it, let me know...
    No worries, CTSCHICK's b.f. will fix it.....because CTSCHICK said so. b.f. knows better than to not do what he's told.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by HurstGN View Post
    No worries, CTSCHICK's b.f. will fix it.....because CTSCHICK said so. b.f. knows better than to not do what he's told.
    Goodies off of the Snap On truck that stops next door to where I works keeps him motivated
    He already has the Torx bits at work but uses cheaper ones at home this will motivate him for Valentines Day My version of a box of chocolates for my guy lol

HurstGN and HurstGN like this.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Now THAT'S a box of chocolates!

Wed it will be here so we ll see

It showed up a day a head of schedule, here is some pics

Here is a picture of the mentioned Gap with the filter and air box, I pulled the filter to the opposite side in side of the box.
    Mine ends up almost being about 1/16" all the way around.

The Gap on mine closes up a lot when pushing the the clamp against the air box like in the installed pictures because of the lip where the clamps goes.
    Providing there is enough slack with the couplers it might be able to be adjusted so that it push's that way and seals it up

I will have to wait until my b.f. is home later, He mentioned using an air nozzle and blowing it up the duct that will be behind the grill to see how much air escapes through the possible gap before he decides what he will do with my kit.
    He also mentioned capping off the hole in the bottom of the box for the 2nd air duct for underneath the car with some kind of a rubber cap for pipes from Homo depot or lowes.
    He mentioned something about maintaining vacuum like drinking from a straw with and without a hole in it I might have misunderstood him ..
    I dunno but I will post what he does.

Overall pretty nice kit especially for the $255 shipped on sale directly from Volant.

ajazolino is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS
    Let me know if you get that front scoop in. Mine wouldn't fit

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

Wow. They must have changed the design because my rubber boot that the big clamp is on has a 1/2"or 3/4" lip that I used to run a few stainless screws into the air box so it stays against it tightly. I called Volant with a question I had and mentioned that I screwed the rubber boot to the box because of the gap and they said I should not do that and that the filter is designed to "float" with the engine's movement in the chassis. I left it screwed in and haven't had a problem but it looks like they removed the lip to prevent anyone from doing what I did. If mine was like that, I would have returned it because it will allow hot under hood air to be pulled in and the whole idea of drawing air from the grill is because it is colder--hence, cold air induction. I would leave the bottom intake open so water has a place to drip out when rain goes in while driving on the highway. You can see that quite a bit of water will be sucked into the box at 60 mph. Cold air is also drawn in from the bottom as well and they make a second scoop that can be purchased seperately but I don't see the need for it. Hope this helps.

Sorry for the delay, My b.f. messed around with an air nozzle blowing up the duct at various pressure and said any air leaks around the hole wasnt as bad as he thought it was going to be.
    But is going to put $5 weather stripping on against the lip where the clamp goes that touches the box.
    Only delay right now is we can only find the weather stripping in white,gray and brown even though black is available because the 1st 2 lowes and homo depots didn't have black in stock.
    Going to try looking at a few others again tomorrow since I have off for presidents day

D VADER is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Sport Wagon

I had no problems with my Volant. I did the dual snorkel set up. From the box to the grill. From the bottom of the box to the Brake Duct for more air.
    No engine air enters this box!

Sorry for the long delay or update but the other week while my b.f. was doing work on a supercharged ls2 Datsun he has been building the last couple months a few houses down I decided to try and install my Volant cold air kit by my self.
    First off I know Volant say's it is only for 08-09 and nothing about any later model years but there is no way this kit will fit my 2011 3.6 rwd Premium

Taking the stock intake parts off was easy but I have a Bosch module in front of the front fender area right behind my head light that prevents that air box from even sitting flush where it needs to be.
    The air box needs to be sitting on the frame rail on the left of the picture but as you can see the Bosch module is mounted higher than the frame rail.

Picture of the Bosch module in my way

I had to cuff off the entire neck for the bottom duct at the bottom of the box like this, This was my first cut, I actually had to cut it off flush with the box to get it to sit right and clear that Bosch module posted above.
    But there is no way in Hell it would fit if I bought the bottom duct tubing the opening in the bottom outlet of the box lands dead center with the Bosch module.

After all of that the Volant supplied brackets, One that attaches to the driver side coolant over flow and strut tower brace cover, and the bracket that is supposed to screw in to the driver side fender where the stock box does. Don't even line up.
    They are not even close.
    The Volant air box is the correct box for the kit but the pre drilled holes are no where near where they need to be in order to line up and attach to the previously mentioned area's.

After I had in as best as I could my b.f. was coming back getting some tools to go back and work on the datsun so he took a few minutes to look at it and said Yeh that isn't fitting without customizing it, He said the bracket wont fit regardless of where the hole is drilled in the box and a new bracket needs to be made up in order to reach the area and screw in to the fender in order to hold the air box in place.
    He said I was doing everything right the problem was the kit wasnt actually made to fit my car..
    So he told me to take it all out and put the stock setup back in until he has time to mess with it.

As promised I did find the correct weather stripping to use at Home Depot part number and style is provided in the picture, The cost was $5
    Attached to the intake duct tubing where it goes in to the box It does seal the gap and allow the intake tubing to move with the engine while returning back and sealing the box back up even though the engine hardly moves if at all..

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    First off I know Volant say's it is only for 08-09 and nothing about any later model years but there is no way this kit will fit my 2011 3.6 rwd Premium

Taking the stock intake parts off was easy but I have a Bosch module in front of the front fender area right behind my head light that prevents that air box from even sitting flush where it needs to be.
    The air box needs to be sitting on the frame rail on the left of the picture but as you can see the Bosch module is mounted higher than the frame rail.
    Is your module on the driver side or am I looking at this wrong? I have the 2008 RWD version and the ECM is on the passenger side so it does not pose an issue.

The picture is the drivers side
    Unfortunately that is what it might be according to my b.f. just going by the picture

6.2/3.6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

I have two volant systems one for a tahoe and the other on my truck both with oil filters. I did not buy one for the cadillac because when I put on a custom tune on my truck (had a volant dry filter) I was told the dry filter was making my truck 6.2 run very rich. Bought a oil filter and my mileage was much happier. So since volant does not over a choice, only dry filter I went with airaid and I am pretty happy with it. So before you start modifying, you might want to look elsewhere. Just my two cents because I will be putting some mods on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.2/3.6 View Post
    I have two volant systems one for a tahoe and the other on my truck both with oil filters. I did not buy one for the cadillac because when I put on a custom tune on my truck (had a volant dry filter) I was told the dry filter was making my truck 6.2 run very rich. Bought a oil filter and my mileage was much happier. So since volant does not over a choice, only dry filter I went with airaid and I am pretty happy with it. So before you start modifying, you might want to look elsewhere. Just my two cents because I will be putting some mods on the car.
    If it was running rich why wasn't it tuned with the filter? That just doesn't make sense to me
    The Volant kit is the only kit available with an outside air source for the CTS whether or not it is necessary that is debatable but that is what I wanted.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.