2012+ Performance Thread For LFX 3.6L V6 Engine - Discussion & Resources - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Select The Degree Of Mods You Will Do To Your LFX Engine!

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reliability Enhancement Only - Catch Can, Etc.

11 24.44%
  • Bolt-Ons - Cold Air Intake, Catback Exhuast, Etc.

26 57.78%
  • Significant - Tear Down for Cams, Heads, Etc.

2 4.44%
  • Severe - Super/Turbo Charger, Heads, Cams, All!

6 13.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, 2012+ Performance Thread For LFX 3.6L V6 Engine - Discussion & Resources in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by EVH5150 I love the sound of your coupe with the Borla axle back, in fact I will ...
    X E Ryder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe, Premium, Touring

Cool To Stick or Not To Stick...!

Quote Originally Posted by EVH5150 View Post
    I love the sound of your coupe with the Borla axle back, in fact I will say its by far the best sounding CTS 3.6 I've ever heard! A while ago I had a listen to your video and that is the exact sound I want from my coupe. My coupe has the manual trans so it should sound amazing as I row the gears, lol.
    Hey thanks for the kind words - I really am happy with it. In the posts above you can see how to do my "Chilly Air" intake mod and port your own throttle body as well, then finish off with a drop in K&N and tune from IPF (requires running 91 octane). That all makes a nice bump in performance.

Ahhhh. "To Stick, or Not To Stick, That was the question... " (lol) ...when I bought my car as well. That has to be fun! I'm pretty big and have size 13 shoes so, when I tried to get both my sneakers down there with three pedals is was a little crowded. Which is actually funny because my commuter car is a Honda Del Sol and I can Heel and Toe that thing like a Boss! It just has more room down there.

I have to admit that I don't regret the auto trans (with touring because of the paddle shift buttons, though I could see if you don't have pretty large hands they might be tricky to get at), as it also RPM matches the shifts which is fantastic for grabbing gears in a hard corner. I live pretty close to this road, a section of Hwy 29 which is about 9 miles of absolute insanity and I drift around some of the corners (thankfully I have not seen a cop on that road driving like that... yet). Even as a veteran of such road courses as Laguna Seca, I doubt I could drive this road as fast if my Cadi had the third pedal, but that theory is as yet untested.

Here is most of that road but I couldn't get all the fun parts into one frame...

In the end I may still do a custom turbo job to it, but we still drive ours all over the western states. Tearing into the motor seems a little dumb when 95% of the time I don't need any more power and we still have a warranty.

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Re: To Stick or Not To Stick...!

You're welcome.

You have great information on mods etc, and I wish we had a freeway like that, wow!

I feel our coupe's have plenty of power and sometimes I'm surprised so many people post threads about improving performance. I will admit sometimes an auto would be nice when I am feeling lazy, and the rev match is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by X E Ryder View Post
    Hey thanks for the kind words - I really am happy with it. In the posts above you can see how to do my "Chilly Air" intake mod and port your own throttle body as well, then finish off with a drop in K&N and tune from IPF (requires running 91 octane). That all makes a nice bump in performance.

Ahhhh. "To Stick, or Not To Stick, That was the question... " (lol) ...when I bought my car as well. That has to be fun! I'm pretty big and have size 13 shoes so, when I tried to get both my sneakers down there with three pedals is was a little crowded. Which is actually funny because my commuter car is a Honda Del Sol and I can Heel and Toe that thing like a Boss! It just has more room down there.

I have to admit that I don't regret the auto trans (with touring because of the paddle shift buttons, though I could see if you don't have pretty large hands they might be tricky to get at), as it also RPM matches the shifts which is fantastic for grabbing gears in a hard corner. I live pretty close to this road, a section of Hwy 29 which is about 9 miles of absolute insanity and I drift around some of the corners (thankfully I have not seen a cop on that road driving like that... yet). Even as a veteran of such road courses as Laguna Seca, I doubt I could drive this road as fast if my Cadi had the third pedal, but that theory is as yet untested.

Here is most of that road but I couldn't get all the fun parts into one frame...

In the end I may still do a custom turbo job to it, but we still drive ours all over the western states. Tearing into the motor seems a little dumb when 95% of the time I don't need any more power and we still have a warranty.

Sailirish7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium 3.6L V6

Re: 2012+ Performance Thread For LFX 3.6L V6 Engine - Discussion & Resources

Videos show private now FYI...

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Search it on you tube, I'm pretty sure it's there.

X E Ryder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe, Premium, Touring

Arrow Re: 2012+ Performance Thread For LFX 3.6L V6 Engine - Discussion & Resources

Quote Originally Posted by Sailirish7 View Post
    Videos show private now FYI...
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH5150 View Post
    Search it on you tube, I'm pretty sure it's there.
    Thank you for the heads up - should be fixed now.

I absolutely detest what Poogle has done to U Toob - just like when LieSpace got ruined.

Chrishiznit33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

after picking up my 2012 coupe, I'm really surprised at how theres nothing performance wise for us... has anyone just swapped the stock mufflers and done an axelback on they're lfx? idk if i wanna spend 1k plus on a full system.. just want a nice sound..

jamiejam1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS COUPE Performance W/Navi

The Borla 11824 IS an axle back....

----------

OK so lets just get a complete List here: theres the
    throttle body
    Borla or magna flow
    Catch can
    a couple of different tunes for the motor and Transmission from what Ive Read.
    Air Raid and K&N CAI and RAM Air Intake..

What else?

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiejam1 View Post
    The Borla 11824 IS an axle back....

----------

OK so lets just get a complete List here: theres the
    throttle body
    Borla or magna flow
    Catch can
    a couple of different tunes for the motor and Transmission from what Ive Read.
    Air Raid and K&N CAI and RAM Air Intake..

What else?
    The cai you list are not applicable. This is for lfx engines which they as of yet do not support

Interesting thing I noticed Last night.. I was putting on my Eibach Kit. and since I was looking at the Borla Exhaust. I wanted to take a peek to see how Involved it was going to be to drop the exhaust.. to my surprise, There is not a single Flange on the exhaust, the entire thing is one welded unit, all the way up to the damn exhaust manifold! Cats pre muffler everything is welded!!! WTH?????? BTW its a 2014 Performance coupe...

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Drive it up here. We can take care of that for you. Bring your girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Drive it up here. We can take care of that for you. Bring your girlfriend.
    What Girlfriend? LOL I Have a CTS!

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

The deal's off!
    jamiejam1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    The deal's off!
    I have a sister if you're interested! LOL!!!

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Sorry I missed this, but here is an example of the testing. After we test we also ask for others to test independently:

The UPR tested here is the same as the Moroso, Billet Tech, Billet tech, billet prototypes, etc.

Default UPR vs RX Catch Can Effectiveness Test
    I’ve had a UPR catch can on my 5.0 since last summer. It catches a lot, especially in the cold months. But I’ll get right to my test. I added an RX can inline after my UPR can to see if the UPR was missing anything. And if it was allowing some to pass through, was it enough for the RX to catch anything? I don’t drive a lot of miles regularly since my F150 is not a daily driver, so my results will take some time. This thread is to document how I set it up and what I catch over time.
    I installed the RX can just as the directions explained, but I routed the hoses differently. I left my UPR can right where it’s been for months, but rerouted one hose. I left the hose from the passenger side of the engine to the inlet of the UPR can. Then a new hose from UPR can outlet, routed to the inlet of the RX can. The RX outlet hose goes back to the engine. The PCV exhaust now flows from the engine, through the UPR, then through the RX, and finally back up to the engine intake.
    Before installing everything for the test, I cleaned the UPR can thoroughly. The bottom of the can (inside) was covered with a thin layer of stiff sludge that I could only clean out using gas. I’m glad that was caught, along with the ounces of oil, water, etc, over the months I’ve been emptying it. But I was surprised at the outlet hose from the UPR can. It was wet with oil. Obviously some was getting through the can and back to my intake. I’ve never let the can get close to half full before emptying it. Nearly every time I’ve emptied it, there was 1/4“ or less in the bottom. I’m noting this in case someone thinks I left the UPR get overfilled and it flowed through. Nevertheless, I started this test after cleaning everything for a fresh start.
    I plan to leave this setup on for a thousand miles or so, and report my findings from each can.
    1st picture: UPR can as it was originally installed.
    2nd: CleanUPR can.
    3rd: RX can installed. The hose in the top center of the can is the inlet. The outlet hose on the right has a check valve.
    4th: Engine outlet to UPR inlet on left of can. UPR outlet on right side of can routed around (smaller hose) to the RX inlet. You can also see the other smaller hose coming back up from the RX can and ending at the intake on the engine.

Attached Thumbnails
    UPR vs RX Catch Can Effectiveness Test-p1010484c.jpg UPR vs RX Catch Can Effectiveness Test-p1010485c.jpg UPR vs RX Catch Can Effectiveness Test-p1010487c.jpg UPR vs RX Catch Can Effectiveness Test-p1010488c.jpg

And the results:

1000 Miles of Testing Results

- The Weather has been warmer lately. So the test began with sub freezing temperatures, and gradually increased through the 70's and topped off in the mid 80's yesterday. I couldn't have asked for a better range of temperatures for this test.

- What they caught was astounding to me. UPR was first in line, with the RX after it to catch anything the UPR might miss.
    The UPR stayed on track with what it has been accumulating for many months. Each time I emptied them, it had about the same amount. It's contents were mostly oil which smelled like used oil. It caught 17cc total which is just under 3 1/2 tsp.
    The RX had more than the UPR each time I emptied them. It's contents were an oil/fuel/water type mix that had a much stronger odor. Not a fuel smell, but a sharper chemical smell compared to the odor of used oil. It caught a total of 67cc which is just over 13 1/2 tsp.

- Final totals:
    UPR - 17cc
    RX - 67cc

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nix150 View Post
    So, if I'm understanding you right...it appears that the UPR had significant blow-by to which the RX can then caught, correct?
    The RX can caught 4 times the amount the UPR can caught, after the UPR can removed what it could. I said from the beginning I would be surprised if the RX can could pull 10% of what the UPR caught, since it was second in line. If someone told me it would catch an equal amount I would have said BS. For it to catch 4 times what the UPR can caught is unreal

So, this testing can be done by anyone, and the results will surprise most that think they have an effective can that is really only catching a fraction of what is being ingested.

And to UPR's credit, they added to revisions, an extension that increases the capacity, and a new diffusser. So they have dramatically improved upon their design. The test of the newest UPR version is taking place now.

RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.