93 octane with trifecta tune?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, 93 octane with trifecta tune? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; So jerry from BNR explained that I need to run 93 octane now that I have to trifecta tune, well ...
    ajazolino is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

93 octane with trifecta tune?

So jerry from BNR explained that I need to run 93 octane now that I have to trifecta tune, well not need to, but I will see better gains from the tune with premium. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bronik90 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe - 3.6l DI AWD
    I'm pretty sure you'll see better performance running 93 premium no matter what, even without a tune.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Re: 93 octane with trifecta tune?

I have the tune and alternate gas grades. Don't notice SOTP differences.

When I pointed out that the engine was defined for 87 octane, this was his response. Which was helpful:

"Yeah factory that's true. They are made to run ok on 87. With the tune we up the timing way higher than factory. Basically think of octane numbers as a temperature rating. The higher the number, the hotter it can get before it will ignite without a spark (air/gas gets hot when it is compressed). So by us increasing timing, or how close the piston gets before the plug fires, we can get a big increase in power. But in order to do that you'll need to run higher octane. The engine is smart so once it figures out it can't run max timing, it will retard it and make it run ok on 87, but it won't be as much power as you'll see on premium because it will allow it to run full timing.

But yeah stock you don't need to run premium. "

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

That and 11.3:1 compression ratio. You can run fine on 87 as the knock sensors will command the ECU to pull timing when it detonates, but we see more power and better fuel economy with 93 on these bone stock.

It's the target market that the V6 is built for...they want to be able to run cheap fuel, etc. but 93 is NOT a waste on a DI motor like it would be on a LY7.

What about an LY7 motor with the trifecta tune? Bc that's what I have.

WRXtranceformed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have never actually run a tank of 93 through my car since the Trifecta tune. I guess I should give it a try :P

Bandit1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
    That and 11.3:1 compression ratio. You can run fine on 87 as the knock sensors will command the ECU to pull timing when it detonates, but we see more power and better fuel economy with 93 on these bone stock.

It's the target market that the V6 is built for...they want to be able to run cheap fuel, etc. but 93 is NOT a waste on a DI motor like it would be on a LY7.
    SC2150--When you say "we see more power and better fuel economy with 93 on these bone stock", what kind of numbers are you talking about? Thanks

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

I'd say yes, give it a try.
    I have the Trifecta tune myself, and I ran it with 93 for several tank fulls, although I've been running 87 now because where I moved (Montgomery County, MD), gas prices are a lot higher than they were in the midwest where I came from.

My experience is, 93 octane with this tune won't give you a HUGE seat of the pants difference or anything, but there's a slight, noticeable "edginess" you lose when you go back to 87. With 93, the car just seems to have a little more pep if you're in a situation where you need to pass someone on a highway suddenly, or jump out into traffic quickly.

Honestly can't say I noticed any significant difference in gas mileage using either 87 or 93 though. If the 93 octane netted me better mileage, it wasn't more than maybe 1MPG, tops.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed View Post
    I have never actually run a tank of 93 through my car since the Trifecta tune. I guess I should give it a try :P

WRXtranceformed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Reporting back on using 93 octane with this tune for a few tanks. After the second tank there is a noticeable SOTP difference with my car. Car pulls much harder, revs much better, improved throttle response, etc. I don't know if it's enough for me to justify an extra $.40 / gallon considering how I drive this car and the overall mileage it gets, but its good to know that it's got more left in it with throwing more mods at it

I agree. I've been running it with 93 octane and I do notice a difference.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.