Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Catch can a must on DI motor

9K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  MochaSteelCoupe12 
#1 · (Edited)
If you don’t have a catch can on your DI motor, get one! I installed mine at around 50,000km. Yesterday I installed my isolator and had to remove the top end of the motor. With a flash light I could look down the port and see my valves. They are coated black and flaking carbon chunks. I did an upper induction cleaning and oil change the weekend before so it may have been cleaner but I was absolutely shocked at what I saw. I couldn’t get enough light down the hole to get a picture but Tracy has posted enough so you can get the idea.

As I said above I was installing the isolator this weekend and took the car for a boot this morning. It rips! What a change with such an easy and inexpensive mod. I’m a fan and advocate for RevXtreme. A wrench, couple of sockets, gasket material and a few hours is all it took.

I took a bunch of pictures, I’ll see if I can post them.

#6 ·
We have over 11,000 in use over the past 9 years and have had 1 customer in north dakota that had the valve freeze in subzero temps.....but that is the only issue we have heard of to date. It is important to drain with the engine warm, and not running and in cold climates all cans will condense and catch a good deal of moisture so they fill much faster. It will look like nestle quik!

:thumbsup:

#7 ·
If the valve freezes, what issues should I be looking and listen for. I am in Canada and it gets darn cold here for a good 3-6 weeks. Thanks for the heads up on draining for the moisture when it`s colder!<

And once again. SC2150 makes great products. BUY THEM! I am not related at all, just a happy customer!

#11 ·
I finally took the time to put up these pics. Look at all that oil prior to the catch can. The throttle body was caked with oil. I did upgrade to the RX ported and polished TB and these pics where taken when I installed the RX Black isolator. This is why a catch can is a must. I wish I could have shown the valves, I felt sick when I took a flash light and looked down the ports. The valves are completely coated. I will be going through a cleaning regiment with every oil change until they are clean again.

----------

I did the shrink through Piacsa 3 by exporting them to another file.

#13 ·
You dont ever want to return the oil caught in a catchcan to the engine crankcase as it is chock full of damaging compounds (abrasive carbon particles, sulfuric acid, water vapor, unburnt fuel, etc.) The catchcan traps the oil before it ingests and causes the issues so the trapped oil is disposed of.

#14 ·
I have asked which part number to order for a '12 coupe and not received a response.

Me <-- I'm a buyer, ready to purchase a catch can.

Why do some have single/double check valves etc?

#16 ·
OK for anyone wondering if a 2012+ LFX motor needs the catch can, the answer is YES. Here is why I say so: :suspense:

I now have 930 miles on my coupe, I am properly breaking the motor in - I have NOT been over 4,000rpm (as directed until 1400 miles)

Today I pulled the PCV line for fun and guess what? I got 2 drips of oil out of the Intake fitting end of the line ALREADY! :mad2:

Just a light tap tap on my index finger and there is was, already! I looked into the Plenum with a LED light and you can see some nastiness too. :annoyed:

Anyhoo, the sooner you install a Separator into your PCV line, the longer you are extending your motor's longevity!

#19 ·
I called and left messages and finally spoke ti a gal said he'd call me... Didn't happen. I want to deal with someone more accessible. Nothing personal, just my preference.

Anyway I went with the Moroso ordered from Jegs $143 shipped - the kit is for CTS V but has same 3/8" fittings as 3.6 needs. Black is # 85603 is memory serves.

Reactions: D VADER
#21 ·
I'm not adding a breather cap, we already have the fresh air line to the system on the other side.

For the LFX they call it fresh air line (the PCV is labeled Foul air line in their service docs)

Not a fan of that addition myself, if we needed it, GM would have provided it - I don't like introducing another source of air (maybe condensate) into the crankcase. Obviously not all agree with this school of thought, but that's mine buddy. :)

#22 ·
As you said, "...if we needed it, GM would have provided it..." isn't exactly true. We do need the catch can, and GM did not provide it.

Not provoking or flaming, so don't take this wrong.

#23 ·
Well they did give us a fresh air inlet, it's there, I'm not going to put in another one.

And none taken! :)

#25 ·
You replace the fresh air with the breather. The problem with the breather is it replaces the oil fill cap, the breather is about 2 1/2 inches tall and hits the hood creating big issues with fit. If you have an isolator installed the fit is worse so in my experience the stock fresh air is not worth trying to improve unless there is a very low profile product out there. The big advantage I believe in replacing the fresh air with a breather is eliminating the possibility of sucking oil vapours from the valve cover under full throttle. I know this happens, look at the picture of my TB above. It is full of oil deposits.

#32 ·
You replace the fresh air with the breather. The problem with the breather is it replaces the oil fill cap, the breather is about 2 1/2 inches tall and hits the hood creating big issues with fit. If you have an isolator installed the fit is worse so in my experience the stock fresh air is not worth trying to improve unless there is a very low profile product out there. The big advantage I believe in replacing the fresh air with a breather is eliminating the possibility of sucking oil vapours from the valve cover under full throttle. I know this happens, look at the picture of my TB above. It is full of oil deposits.
Why would the isolator affect the breather? The isolator only raises the IM, not the filler cap on the cam cover. Am I missing something here?

#26 ·
Hi All,

I have been out sick with this dang flu (still am) but the cans can be ordered from the website: www.RevXtreme.com

or by calling direct: 941-721-1826.

The Moroso can looks great, but it lets 30-40% of the oil to pass through due to the design. Just take a clear glass inline fuel filter (app $10 from any autoparts store) and install it between the can and the IM and in a few hundred miles it will be staurated with the the oil it allows through.

It is far better than running no can though.

We are running app 3 weeks lead time now trying to meet the demand (have added new staff, etc.).

On the breather, the current one is to tall and were trying to source the element portion that is shorter, but so far no luck. We can make our own but the price would be to high so stay tuned....were still looking.

I'm delerious with fever right now if this dosent make sense, thats why.

#28 ·
We are running app 3 weeks lead time now trying to meet the demand (have added new staff, etc.).
Does that mean I'm going to have to wait 3 more weeks before I get my order? If so, I'd like a refund so I can order from somewhere else. I ordered a catch can and ice-olater 5 weeks ago... Still haven't received them or any answers to emails I've sent asking for a status on my order. That's $350 I'll send else where.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.