Catch can a must on DI motor - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Catch can a must on DI motor in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; OK for anyone wondering if a 2012+ LFX motor needs the catch can, the answer is YES. Here is why ...
    X E Ryder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe, Premium, Touring

Exclamation Re: Catch can a must on DI motor

OK for anyone wondering if a 2012+ LFX motor needs the catch can, the answer is YES. Here is why I say so:

I now have 930 miles on my coupe, I am properly breaking the motor in - I have NOT been over 4,000rpm (as directed until 1400 miles)

Today I pulled the PCV line for fun and guess what? I got 2 drips of oil out of the Intake fitting end of the line ALREADY!

Just a light tap tap on my index finger and there is was, already! I looked into the Plenum with a LED light and you can see some nastiness too.

Anyhoo, the sooner you install a Separator into your PCV line, the longer you are extending your motor's longevity!

Pitchblack98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4
    I was hoping to have a catch can on mine by now. I ordered a catch can and ice-olater from revxtreme over a month ago and still haven't received them.

SLICKNICK54 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts 3.6

Re: Catch can a must on DI motor

I want a catch can but previous member is still waiting from the extreme and they charge $15 shipping on top of $ 200 order? Where is best place to get from and do you need the vent cap ??

I called and left messages and finally spoke ti a gal said he'd call me... Didn't happen. I want to deal with someone more accessible. Nothing personal, just my preference.

Anyway I went with the Moroso ordered from Jegs $143 shipped - the kit is for CTS V but has same 3/8" fittings as 3.6 needs. Black is # 85603 is memory serves.
    D VADER and D VADER like this.

SLICKNICK54 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts 3.6

Did you get the breather cap to? Was shipping free with jegs?

I'm not adding a breather cap, we already have the fresh air line to the system on the other side.

For the LFX they call it fresh air line (the PCV is labeled Foul air line in their service docs)

Not a fan of that addition myself, if we needed it, GM would have provided it - I don't like introducing another source of air (maybe condensate) into the crankcase. Obviously not all agree with this school of thought, but that's mine buddy.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

As you said, "...if we needed it, GM would have provided it..." isn't exactly true. We do need the catch can, and GM did not provide it.

Not provoking or flaming, so don't take this wrong.

Well they did give us a fresh air inlet, it's there, I'm not going to put in another one.

And none taken!

(chuckle an' snort)

jbelot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

You replace the fresh air with the breather. The problem with the breather is it replaces the oil fill cap, the breather is about 2 1/2 inches tall and hits the hood creating big issues with fit. If you have an isolator installed the fit is worse so in my experience the stock fresh air is not worth trying to improve unless there is a very low profile product out there. The big advantage I believe in replacing the fresh air with a breather is eliminating the possibility of sucking oil vapours from the valve cover under full throttle. I know this happens, look at the picture of my TB above. It is full of oil deposits.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Hi All,

I have been out sick with this dang flu (still am) but the cans can be ordered from the website: www.RevXtreme.com

or by calling direct: 941-721-1826.

The Moroso can looks great, but it lets 30-40% of the oil to pass through due to the design. Just take a clear glass inline fuel filter (app $10 from any autoparts store) and install it between the can and the IM and in a few hundred miles it will be staurated with the the oil it allows through.

It is far better than running no can though.

We are running app 3 weeks lead time now trying to meet the demand (have added new staff, etc.).

On the breather, the current one is to tall and were trying to source the element portion that is shorter, but so far no luck. We can make our own but the price would be to high so stay tuned....were still looking.

I'm delerious with fever right now if this dosent make sense, thats why.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

I wonder if the new Stingray has a catch can from the factory. It has a direct injected engine, so it needs one. I can't imagine the Vette folks accepting that oil getting ingested in their motors. If GM decides to install a catch can anywhere, it will be on their flagship car. If not, then GM has fools for bean counters dictating the parts used.

Quote Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
    We are running app 3 weeks lead time now trying to meet the demand (have added new staff, etc.).
    Does that mean I'm going to have to wait 3 more weeks before I get my order? If so, I'd like a refund so I can order from somewhere else. I ordered a catch can and ice-olater 5 weeks ago... Still haven't received them or any answers to emails I've sent asking for a status on my order. That's $350 I'll send else where.

Call 'em. I didn't wait that long. I only ordered the can, and it was about 3 weeks or so.

I've tried calling and emailing a few times. I'm not going to keep calling until my order arrives. I'm too busy during the day at work and shouldn't have to...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.