Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Steering wheel shift buttons sold on Amazon

6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  CSIMME01 
#1 · (Edited)
LEFT: http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-20916648-Automatic-Transmission-Auxiliary/dp/B004JBCE3C GM#20916648

RIGHT: http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-20892780-Automatic-Transmission-Auxiliary/dp/B004JBE890 GM#20892780

The These switches as well as the Steering Wheel Harness that has the receptacles for these, GM# 25919020, can also be ordered from http://www.gmpartsonline.net

UPDATE: NOT THE CORRECT HARNESS!

All that is needed to add these to a 2008 up that does not have them is to cut holes to mount the switches in the bezel and make a connection to X202 pin13.

I will post more as I do the mod.

#3 ·
The problem you might encounter is that if paddle shifters were not available on any CTS for your model year, then the steering column wire harness will not have the necessary connections to allow them to work. On newer models when paddle shifters were an option then can be retrofitted to any model.

#4 ·
The problem you might encounter is that if paddle shifters were not available on any CTS for your model year, then the steering column wire harness will not have the necessary connections to allow them to work. On newer models when paddle shifters were an option then can be retrofitted to any model.
My only concern was if the three unused connections in the clock spring actually passed through. They do. So I tested the idea using two switches and two resistors (now that I have the factory switches I found they also contain one resistor. Not the same size as mine, Hmm). Worked fine with one connection through clock spring. I have not received the steering wheel harness. Hopefully it will provide all connections to the top of the clock spring and I will only have to connect the bottom of it to X202.

Keep the faith. DYI is not always Plug and Play. More to come, with photos.

Test Rig, Up/Down buttons.

#5 ·
Did your test buttons actually shift the transmission. There is another post where the writer installed a CTS-V steering wheel which included the paddle shifters. All functions worked except for the paddle shifters. The consensus was that no 2008 models had paddle shifters available,so the simple addition of them didn't result in the desired effect.
I wish you good luck. What you are doing is the basis of all hot rodding and I wish you good luck. I look forward to your results.

#13 ·
Did your test buttons actually shift the transmission. There is another post where the writer installed a CTS-V steering wheel which included the paddle shifters. All functions worked except for the paddle shifters. The consensus was that no 2008 models had paddle shifters available,so the simple addition of them didn't result in the desired effect.
I wish you good luck. What you are doing is the basis of all hot rodding and I wish you good luck. I look forward to your results.
I did that same exact thing and could for the life of me figure out how to make them work. Here I am a year later really wanting to be able to use them I’m starting to think that it may be the clock spring. I may need a clock spring from a V

#6 · (Edited)
Yes, my test rig did shift the transmission. I drove around with the two little switched in my hand. They did not pass through the clock spring but I have that covered.

As I mentioned above the resistors in the switches are not the same value as the ones I calculated. So, there must be more to the way Cadillac does it. I simply duplicate the function of the switches in the console shifter.

Also, the part number for the harness listed above turns out to be the standard CTS harness.

My plans are change the resistors in the switches and document my method of connecting the switches with existing harness. I have already done it and it works.

More later.

#7 · (Edited)
I was able to obtain a schematic for the KB7 option (Manual shift switches) on the CVS-V. Unfortunately, options are uploaded to the BCM at the factory. So, unless you know someone in a service department willing to upload the KB7 option to your BCM, adding the switches the GM way is a no-go. The good news is, there is more then one way to skin this cat. As I said above, I have done it and it works perfectly. It does requires replacing the resistors in the switches with different values. No big deal.

Working on the document and pictures.

#15 ·
Follow up..
Yes the console up and down shift switches get 12v from X1 pin 17 of the BCM and go to input X1 pin 20. The steering wheel paddles get 12v from the same C1 pin 17 but the steering wheel paddles go to another input of the BCM, X1 pin 7. There would be two problems to overcome here.
1. Will the wires be there to get the 12v to and signals from the BCM through the SIR coil? The BCM connects the 12V to the vehicle side of the SIR coil in pin 2. The paddles would be connected to this 12 volts on pin 9 of the steering wheel side of the coil. One wire of each switch would connect to this 12v wire. Then the other wire both paddles would be connected to pin 3 of the steering wheel side of the coil. This would come out on pin 8 of the vehicle side of the coil. If this wiring is there then it might work but..
Problem 2 is the BCM programming. If the BCM isn't programmed for a V series it probably won't see the signal going into it on X1 pin 7.

But. I do see a possible solution. This is getting long here. If you want more information on how it might be made to work just let me know.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.