Another Catch Can Installation (with pics)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Another Catch Can Installation (with pics) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; UPDATE: Pic url's have been corrected. Let me know if there are problems viewing the pics now. I finally got ...
    HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Another Catch Can Installation (with pics)

UPDATE: Pic url's have been corrected. Let me know if there are problems viewing the pics now.

I finally got around to installing my catch can today. For those interested, here's the install and pics of what I did.

I started by removing the engine cover, the left and right engine bay covers, and removed the strut tower brace. I then removed the 8 10mm bolts and the 4 13mm bolts holding the upper intake cover on. I had previously opened the intake and cleaned out the collected oil in the intake. Upon opening the intake again, I find the intake looks like it did just a couple thousand miles ago. It looks like I never touched it. These pics show the oil after just a couple thousand miles.

Oil on upper intake cover
    Oil in intake (1)
    Oil in intake (2)
    Oil in intake (3)

I also removed the hose connected to the throttle body and found some oil there too.

Oil in throttle body

So I again cleaned up everything and closed up the intake.

Clean upper intake cover
    Clean intake (1)
    Clean intake (2)
    Clean throttle body

I then removed the hose that goes from the passenger side cover to the intake. It's a rigid line with a little bit of give to it. Here you can see the part that attaches to the cover. I'm going to cut it midway to allow hooking the provided hose to the catch can.

Line before cut

This picture shows where I made the cut. The looming is a solid loom, so before cutting, I decided how much looming I wanted to remove, cut the loom to separate it into 2 pieces, then carefully split the solid looming so I could remove it. Once removed, I cut the solid line as shown here.

Cut line

Next I assembled the bracket to the catch can with the bolts and washers provided. I used the lower 2 holes in the can bracket and adjusted the bracket to go as low as it would go when using these 2 holes. I then attached the bracket to one of the two 10mm bolts at the firewall near where the heated washer unit used to be. (Gotta get that replacement someday.) I attached the provided hose the the line, and then reinstalled the line to the intake. This allowed me to measure the length of hose needed to reach the outlet port of the catch can and I connected the hose to the outlet. I then attached another piece of hose the the piece that goes to the passenger cover. I reattached the fitting to the passenger cover and measured the hose to attach to the inlet port on the catch can. I attached the hose to the inlet port on the catch can and I'm basically ready to button things up.

Catch Can attached to firewall
    Close-up of connected hoses
    View from top looking down
    View from the shock tower

OK, everything all buttoned up and ready to go.

Finished view from above
    View from the passenger side

I think this install is pretty clean. From the front of the car, you don't notice anything changed since there is nothing installed up by the drive belts. The can is only visible at the rear of the engine compartment.

I took my time and did this in just less than 2 hours. Now I need to figure out how I'm gonna clean the intake valves.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Re: Another Catch Can Installation (with pics)

"Now I need to figure out how I'm gonna clean the intake valves."

When you figure that out post it, too. Nice writeup, HurstGN.

CoupeGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe 3.6 DI

403 error getting to pic(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoupeGuy View Post
    Ditto on pix.

Ditto on pix.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Same here

OK, seems Google Drive makes the URL's available for a short period of time then they expire. I'll try to find someplace on-line to post them so they can be viewed here.

I use picasa from Google. You can easily upload to a cloud server.

pajeff10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4

Photobucket works well for pics and is free. I'd like to see your setup.

UPDATE: Pic url's have been corrected. Let me know if there are problems viewing the pics now.

If you right click the pic and select "View Image", you will get the image in full resolution for more detail on the shots.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Here are puctures of the blower rotors and housing after 14,000 miles of having the RX can installed on a new one:

No residue build up on the rotors to throw off balance, no build up to obstruct the flow and heat transfer ability of the intercooler like this example of 15,000 mile w/out the can:

To order, call direct: 941-721-1826

There you go...works just right for me.

eborunda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by HurstGN

I finally got around to installing my catch can today. For those interested, here's the install and pics of what I did.

I started by removing the engine cover, the left and right engine bay covers, and removed the strut tower brace. I then removed the 8 10mm bolts and the 4 13mm bolts holding the upper intake cover on. I had previously opened the intake and cleaned out the collected oil in the intake. Upon opening the intake again, I find the intake looks like it did just a couple thousand miles ago. It looks like I never touched it. These pics show the oil after just a couple thousand miles.

Oil on upper intake cover
    Oil in intake (1)
    Oil in intake (2)
    Oil in intake (3)

I also removed the hose connected to the throttle body and found some oil there too.

Oil in throttle body

So I again cleaned up everything and closed up the intake.

Clean upper intake cover
    Clean intake (1)
    Clean intake (2)
    Clean throttle body

I then removed the hose that goes from the passenger side cover to the intake. It's a rigid line with a little bit of give to it. Here you can see the part that attaches to the cover. I'm going to cut it midway to allow hooking the provided hose to the catch can.

Line before cut

This picture shows where I made the cut. The looming is a solid loom, so before cutting, I decided how much looming I wanted to remove, cut the loom to separate it into 2 pieces, then carefully split the solid looming so I could remove it. Once removed, I cut the solid line as shown here.

Cut line

Next I assembled the bracket to the catch can with the bolts and washers provided. I used the lower 2 holes in the can bracket and adjusted the bracket to go as low as it would go when using these 2 holes. I then attached the bracket to one of the two 10mm bolts at the firewall near where the heated washer unit used to be. (Gotta get that replacement someday.) I attached the provided hose the the line, and then reinstalled the line to the intake. This allowed me to measure the length of hose needed to reach the outlet port of the catch can and I connected the hose to the outlet. I then attached another piece of hose the the piece that goes to the passenger cover. I reattached the fitting to the passenger cover and measured the hose to attach to the inlet port on the catch can. I attached the hose to the inlet port on the catch can and I'm basically ready to button things up.

Catch Can attached to firewall
    Close-up of connected hoses
    View from top looking down
    View from the shock tower

OK, everything all buttoned up and ready to go.

Finished view from above
    View from the passenger side

I think this install is pretty clean. From the front of the car, you don't notice anything changed since there is nothing installed up by the drive belts. The can is only visible at the rear of the engine compartment.

I took my time and did this in just less than 2 hours. Now I need to figure out how I'm gonna clean the intake valves.
    Excuse my ignorance but What is a catch can ?

pajeff10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4

A catch can is a container that mounts in the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system. For whatever reason, since around 1997 when the LS1 was introduced, some GM engines tend to pull engine oil through the PCV system into the throttle body and/or intake. This coats the inside of the intake with an oily film and also causes the back of the intake valves to get gunked up. Installing the catch can separates the oil from the engine vapors and greatly reduces the amount of oil drawn into the engine. I run a catch can setup on our '02 Trans Am and it works very well.

X E Ryder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe, Premium, Touring

Cool Cleaning Your Intake Valves

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    "Now I need to figure out how I'm gonna clean the intake valves."

When you figure that out post it, too. Nice writeup, HurstGN.
    Surely you folks have to know about SeaFoam!?! It attacks carbon particles and essentially breaks down their "glue" so they cannot adhere to each other, thus the carbon deposits erode down and disappear safely out the exhaust pipe. This stuff will even help freshen up a weak catalytic converter. Here is the company website: http://www.seafoamsales.com/

You can buy it at NAPA usually.

product-motortreatment.jpg

To clean deposits from the tops of cylinders and the backs of intake valves on fuel injected engines, add 1 oz. Sea Foam to each gallon of fuel. Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy the deposits. << OR >>

To remove deposits more quickly, Sea Foam can be induced directly into the combustion chamber via the following method. Since Sea Foam contains Volital Organic Compounds make sure this method is approved by the state in which your planning to use it. With the engine warmed up and running, SLOWLY POUR 1/3 to ½ can of Sea Foam down the carburetor throat or into any main manifold vacuum line that DISTRIBUTES EVENLY TO ALL CYLINDERS. Note that some newer induction systems, like those found on Vortec and Subaru “H” style engines, do not have any vacuum line that distribute evenly. Consequently, this process should only be attempted by technicians with a comprehensive understanding of the engine’s induction system or use Sea Foam Spray through the throttle body (described in a different section of this web site).

Once the product has been applied, turn off the engine and allow the Sea Foam to heat soak for a minimum of 10 minutes. At this time, Sea Foam will dissolve deposits. After allowing the Sea Foam to soak, restart the engine in a WELL VENTILATED AREA as exhaust will be extreme for a short time. Drive aggressively for 2 to 5 miles to allow all the atomized deposits to be safely expelled from the system. REPEAT SEA FOAM TREATMENT AS NECESSARY.

Performing a Sea Foam Engine Treatment on a Fuel Injected Engine

Begin by parking the vehicle in a well ventilated area. Locate a vacuum line that you are certain DISTRIBUTES EVENLY TO ALL CYLINDERS. On many vehicles the easiest option is taking the vacuum line from your brake booster PCV. (See notes about special situations such as the Vortex or Subaru H style engines.) If you are not certain, contact a certified technician.
    4cycle_project4_1.jpg

Start the engine. For automatic transmissions, keep the car in PARK. For manual transmissions, put the car in neutral and apply the parking brake. SLOWLY POUR 1/3 to ½ can of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the vacuum hose, while at the same time revving the engine to about 2000 RPMs. You will begin to see clouds of white exhaust from the tailpipes. When you have finished pouring, turn off the engine and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
    4cycle_project4_2.jpg

Now start the vehicle again. Drive it aggressively (but legally) for about 2 to 5 miles or until the white smoke is no longer being produced. REPEAT SEA FOAM TREATMENT AS NECESSARY.
    4cycle_project4_3.jpg

It makes a cloud of smoke so make sure you are outdoors!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.