Installed Cold Air Intake from D- 3 and my Gas milage average went to 14.7 ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By ajazolino
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Mods Discussion, Installed Cold Air Intake from D- 3 and my Gas milage average went to 14.7 ? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; is this normal or did i install it wrong 2008 CTS DI It sounds great and I feel a much ...
    DAVEBUGS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6 DI

Installed Cold Air Intake from D- 3 and my Gas milage average went to 14.7 ?

is this normal or did i install it wrong 2008 CTS DI

It sounds great and I feel a much better power response....and Im happy with all that but i lost 3 miles per gallon?

i do get a little whistling sound coming from air intake at 4000 RPM'S that's kinda annoying

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bronik90 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe - 3.6l DI AWD
    Out of curiosity, which CAI did you install?

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    It's in the title. D3

I just installed mine too early to tell if I lost any mpg.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Re: Installed Cold Air Intake from D- 3 and my Gas milage average went to 14.7 ?

Cold air intakes and performance air filters are a waste of money for normal use. The noise they make is what people attribute to more power but thats intentional so they sell more CAI.

If you are loosing mileage its because you are driving more aggressively now then you were before installing it. If you are hearing the noise, its proof you are indeed driving more agressively and the reason your mileage is in the tank. You can't have it both ways, you want power or do you want mileage?

---Read below---

Have you purchased a cold air intake kit for your vehicle yet? If so, you are among the many thousands who (for various reasons) have bought into this technology. But does it really do what you thought it would?

The most common reasons people give for installing a Cold Air Intake are:

1.More Horsepower
    2.Better Fuel Efficiency
    More Horsepower! Now this one is true, but might be a little misleading. Cold air intakes can result in actual gains in power, but not necessarily in the way most people are expecting them. The key that is typically missing in the mind of the average consumer is that the only time power is increased is when the engine is at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). For those who don't know what that means, WOT is basically when the gas pedal is pressed all the way to the floor.

Some are now thinking "Wait a minute! The cold air intake lets cooler, more dense air into the engine. It also has less restriction than the stock setup. This lets it 'breathe' better, and therefore is more efficient." What can I say? You're right...at wide open throttle. What many people don't realize and what many others simply forget to consider is that there is a throttle valve connected to your gas pedal that is constantly restricting the air flow into the engine. The only time it is not restricting the airflow is when it is wide open...hence the term WOT. Some will now say "But it will still breathe more efficiently even at part throttle." You must then remember why there is a throttle valve in the intake to begin with. The throttle valve determines how much air enters the engine, and the engine computer (for fuel injected engines) determines how much fuel to mix with the air. Several factors influence how the computer determines this, but the result is basically the same: a fixed Air/Fuel Ratio will be supplied to the cylinders. This should be obvious since all modern vehicles have to comply with EPA emissions standards.

That means that more air = more fuel = more power = more speed. Now that's good if you're at WOT, but how many of you drive at WOT even 1% of the time? The fact is that you almost always drive in part throttle...because you're usually limiting the vehicle's acceleration. That is the key. Any time you limit vehicle's speed/acceleration with the gas pedal, you are actually limiting (restricting) the amount of air entering the engine. This defeats the purpose of the cold air intake, high-flow intake, high-flow filter, etc. It is only effective when you're at WOT.

One thing should be clarified here...when I refer to WOT, that can also be a little misleading. The condition where these devices increase power is not always exactly at WOT. The throttle valve on a car's intake system is typically a butterfly valve. The more it is closed, the more restrictive it becomes. The least restrictive condition is when it is wide open. Keep in mind that the intake system is sized to operate the engine through a full range of speeds and load conditions. If you get full power from your engine at 5,000 rpm, the throttle valve is sized allow air to flow through it at that speed. Now how much air do you suppose is flowing when you're only turning the engine at 2,500 rpm? This is the situation you have when your're pulling a heavy load (trailer, etc.) in a high gear. This is the situation I find myself in with my pickup when pulling a travel trailer. In 3rd gear at 60 mph, the intake manifold pressure and mass airflow don't change at all from about 70% open throttle to 100%. Why? The throttle valve is effectively at WOT for that speed. There is no measurable resistance being offered by the valve when at 70% open. Does that mean that a cold air intake would help when towing heavy loads? Probably not. The reason is that when you have the condition described above (you have more pedal, but it doesn't change anything), the intake system (filter & piping) is providing very little air resistance. You know this because the primary form of resistance--the throttle valve--isn't even doing anything from ~70% and up. That tells you that there is not as much air flowing through the intake as there would be at high rpm (like if you down-shifted), and therefore your air filter creates a very small amount of resistance by comparison. NOTE: This is assuming that the air filter is clean. If it is clogged up, that's a different story.

In summary, the cold air intakes and high-performance filters are good for improving full-pedal engine power. Practically that means that you are buying a modification that helps you pass (at full-pedal) or race. Don't expect fuel economy gains...sorry.

ajazolino is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS
    I drive like I'm being chased all the time, and I mean ALL THE TIME, and I still get between 19 and 22 mpg city
    kevmcw and kevmcw like this.

futurectsbuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none yet

Re: Installed Cold Air Intake from D- 3 and my Gas milage average went to 14.7 ?

so it sounds like I have a reason to floor it.

DAVEBUGS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6 DI

its a d3 intake www.d3cadillac.com

i also put staggered 20" lorenzos on the car as well ...i do drive aggressive but it hasn't changed since i put intake? and i do feel low end torque much better than before?

Xtant12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-AWD DI

You know what they say, you have to pay to play!!

X E Ryder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe, Premium, Touring

Cool Consider A "Chilly Air" Intake Mod

Take a look at my supposed "Chilly Air" Intake mod in the 2012+ performance thread. It's easy to do and provides air directly from the grill. The big cones are nice but that oem airbox is the same one used for the 6.2l V engine! GM engineers thought the box flowed enough for a 6.2 - I'm satisfied it can handle a 3.6l.

Try it and enjoy the results. My mileage has Not changed at all, but this mod plus K&N filter, P&P TB and exhaust made a noticable difference in on-demand power. You can enjoy a good bump without a ECM tune because of the MAF monitoring volume - just remember to pull the battery for an hour to clear the fuel trim tables (give the car a day to re-populate the cells with new trim values).

RandyG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Z71
    Cold air intakes and performance air filters are a waste of money for normal use. The noise they make is what people attribute to more power but thats intentional so they sell more CAI.

If you are loosing mileage its because you are driving more aggressively now then you were before installing it. If you are hearing the noise, its proof you are indeed driving more agressively and the reason your mileage is in the tank. You can't have it both ways, you want power or do you want mileage?
    Sorry but I beg to differ with you. The person who wrote that arrival seems to know his stuff from a technical point of view but I have a different opinion.

My previous car was an 08 Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart with a 3..8 V6 Shortly after I bought it replaced the stock air filter with a K&N filter. Immediately I notice a difference. Better throttle response and at WOT the engine pulled more strongly to redline. About 30000miles later I brought it in for service which included new filters and stuff. I told them not to replace my air filter because it was a K&N. when I got the car back I expected it to run a bit better but it actually felt less strong than before I brought it in. A short while after I was detailing the car and engine bay and decided to clean and oil the K&N so removed the airbox and low and behold they had replaced it with a stock oem filter. I was furious. I remember seeing a filter box they put in the trunk and figured it was a new oem filter which I actually paid for it with the service. I opened it up and there it was my K&N. so I cleaned and oiled her and replace the oem one. Took her out for a spine and I immediately felt better throttle response and at WOT she pulled more to redline. And about the noise being the reason people think their car runs better, i just dont agree with that because i never heard a difference in the sound. Just my experience.

Dano636 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe RWD Black

So.... driving at WOT from now on then. Gotta get my moneys worth outa my CAI

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.